Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2019 12:00

Inspiron 7777 AIO, upgrade RAM and SSD

Hi :) Hope someone can shed a light on this for me, as I'm a previous mac-user and have limited experience with Windows-machines.

I've got a Dell Inspiron AIO 7777 with 16 gigs of RAM and 256 GB m.2 SSD. I've gotten help to purchase to new RAM chips that's 16 GB each to upgrade to 32 GB. As far as I'm aware, this should be quite easy to upgrade myself. 

But recently I've experienced trouble installing plugins for Adobe on the C-drive, and I would like to upgrade the SSD as well. I'm looking at this, quite expensive, but looks like what I need: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2. 

But if I'm to replace the SSD, I would need to reinstall Windows, right? What kind of backup should I take of my current system to ensure that I can reboot and have Windows and my software on the new harddrive? I've never done anything like this before, so I'm hoping someone can advise me on which methods to use, or if this is something I should have someone else do for me. 

Thank you,

Cathrine :)

21 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 02:00

I ran into my first issue. When I choose my external drive (H:) as destination for my Image, it tells me that the destination is part of my image and to choose a different folder. It would not give me an option to create a new folder on my drive, so I rebooted and made a new folder. I got the same error. Do I need to wipe the drive before booting in to Macrium? Or perhaps connect the drive after boot?

Still optimistic :)

21 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 06:00

Could it be that the partition allocated to C: is only 222GB? How would I change this now that I have a much larger drive?

21 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 06:00

Phew, OK, now the hardware is replaced (the most nerve wrecking thing I've done in my life). I booted again from the USB-stick, got a message that new RAM was detected and proceeded on to the Macrium interface. I chose the image i created in the top window and the Samsung 1 TB in the bottom window and hit the Restore icon. It took roughly an hour/hour and a half. I shut down and booted successfully from C: :)

I'm just a bit puzzeled - when I go to My Computer and check the C-drive, it says that it's 222 GB, not 1TB. I don't get it, when I go further in to check hardware I can only find the spinning disc (D:) 1 TB and the Samsung 1TB. And of course the two external drives that are still hooked up (the USB and the Seagate).

Have I gotten something wrong? I'm sorry, the screenshots are in Norwegian - you probably recognize the Properties-panels :)

Uten navn-1.jpgUten navn-2.jpg

573 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 07:00

Hi @Camomilla ,

Volume size of the image equals to your original drive. When restore it to new hard drive, it restore with the same volume size by default. There should be options to expand volume on the destination to maximum possible size during restoration. 

Don't worry, you can still expand the volume size now:

1. Press the Windows key on keyboard
  2. Type in "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter, Windows Disk Management Tool will be opened.
  3. Right-click on Drive C and choose "Expand Volume"ExpandVS_Fig5.jpg
  4. By default, it will then show you the maximum expandable volume size. Press "Expand" button to finish the volume re-size task.

573 Posts

jeg skjønner :Smile:

Sorry that your pictures can't be seen yet. What is the disk size indicated under Disk 0? And is there any un-allocated space right behind C drive?ExpandVS_Fig5.jpg

21 Posts

Yes, I can see my own pictures, but not yours. Hopefully they're helpful for others when they're approved :)

Disk 0, Standard, 931,39 GB Klar (ready?):
Data (D:)
931,39 GB NTFS
OK (primærpartisjon) (Primary Partition?)

Disk 1, Standard, 953,74 GB Klar (ready?):
500 MB OK (EFI systempartisjon)
OS (C:)
222,22 GB NTFS
OK (lots of stuff)
Winretools
483 MB NTFS
OK (OEM-partisjon)
14,07 GB NTFS
OK (OEM-partisjon)
Dellsupport
1,09 GB NTFS
OK (OEM-partisjon)
-- no headline --
715,39 GB
Utildelt

These are my numbers :)

21 Posts

Utildelt = Not allocated

21 Posts

The Expand volume is called Utvid volume in Norwegian (this is turning in to a linguistic exercise as well :p )

Uten navn-3.jpg

21 Posts

I found it :) It's called 'Diskbehandling' in Norwegian :p However, the option to expand is greyed out, the only active is 'reduce volume'. It says that the drive has 715,39 free space. 

Thank you for your patience @bmcowboy !

573 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 08:00

Sure, feel free to email me at

21 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 08:00

@bmcowboy Unable to send you a pm with details, as I seem to have reached some sort of time-limit. Any other way I can contact you?

21 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 09:00

Thank you, e-mail is on the way :)

573 Posts

It's my first time providing remote support for a member in this forum, and thank you for your trust indeed, @Camomilla. Feel free to come back if any other questions or problems.

Besides, if you find any replies that helps, please mark them as solutions in order to benefit other people with similar question. Thank you again.

21 Posts

Thank you so much @bmcowboy for holding my hand through this process! Everything is working perfectly, and I can't wait to utilize my twice as powerful PC :)

Awesome community here at Dell :)

No Events found!