Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2019 11:00

Inspiron G5-5090, CPU cooler?

Hi, 

Normally, I build my own PC but I decided to go with a pre-built with DELL because the deal was too good to pass up. It just arrived on my doorstep, (a new Inspiron G5-5090 desktop) and everything seems to be in order. The only thing I noticed is that the CPU cooler pictured on this non-Dell website is different than the one I got. 

Capture.JPG

I got a much cheaper one. I'm guessing this is normal but I just wanted to make sure since this is my first DELL. I assume the one pictured on the website is reserved for different CPU's. I have a i7-9700 (non-K) if that matters. 

Thanks,

29 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 16:00

Thats some good temps. Which CPU?

37 Posts

July 24th, 2020 01:00

it's only the i5-9400 so maybe it doesnt have much to do!

I screwed the heatsink down quite tight still being cautious not to crush the processor, but it was quite tight and it pulled the aluminium arms down quite a lot

1 Message

July 29th, 2020 10:00

Interesting, 
Currently dealing with a Dell G5 5090 [i9 - 32gb - NVIDIA RTX 2060] where both CPU Fan and Chassis Fan are running 100%. This occurs after 3-5 minutes of just being ON. No "programs" open.  Dell Tech replaced both fans, but issue persisted. Now the Motherboard is on backorder!. Haven't been able to use this "New" computer for the last two weeks. 
Tries BIOS update but no dice. Any other suggestions???
Thx  

July 29th, 2020 11:00

Is this all stock parts? Maybe an upgrade would help

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 09:00

Thanks to everyone for the posts. Was very helpful in looking into my own upgrades.  I saw the issues that several commen @rodavid @m1k3_13 @hbz3 mentioned, from machined-in risers to temps.

Will just report my own experience with i9-9900 (note not the i9-9900k). Seems like i9s run much higher temps than the i3/i5/i7.

Measurement reference
(1) Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (CPU package temp)
(2) Alienware Command Center (CPU fan temp and chassis fan temp)
(3) Ambient room temp  24-25 deg C

Pre-upgrade:
Idling 1-2% CPU package temps 49-50 deg C.  Mid-load temps (Civ 6 at full res) ~80 deg C (hot!)

Post-upgrade (Cooler Master Hyper H412R):
Idling 1-2% CPU package temps 42-44 deg C.  Mid-load temps (Civ 6 at full res) ~70-75 deg C (ok).
So ... not a huge diff, but at least it's quieter.

Comments
The machined-in risers is a problem and prevents the use of any CPU cooler requiring a backplate on the reverse side of the motherboard. You cannot detach right-side panel for access to the motherboard. You have to remove EVERY component just to find out there's no space on the reverse side of the motherboard to install anything.

The good new is that for Cooler Masters, you can skip the backplate and just buy m3 standoff screws on Amazon (6mm is too short, you'd likely need 10mm or longer depending on your cooler mounting screws). I noticed some comments posting different coolers that may not require a backplate. Not sure how that works out.

Agreed that the marketing picture of the Dell G5 5090 is false advertising. They shouldn't be using a larger cooler when that's NOT a standard component. I don't see the stock cooler description in my purchase order either.

15 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 20:00

You might need to upgrade the cooling on that. Intel i9-series CPU run hot.

August 3rd, 2020 21:00

@m1k3_13 Just out of curiosity... did you remove the plastic tab over the bottom of the cooler? When I replaced my stock cooler with the T3, I originally left the little plastic tab on, even after I had seen it and reminded myself to pull it off.

August 3rd, 2020 22:00

@m1k3_13 Just out of curiosity... did you remove the plastic tab over the bottom of the cooler? When I replaced my stock cooler with the T3, I originally left the little plastic tab on, even after I had seen it and reminded myself to pull it off.

48 Posts

August 10th, 2020 09:00

@angemonkwj 

Yup. I removed the plastic the very first time i installed the cooler. The temps don't bother me that much anymore. My cpu temps idle anywhere around 30 - 37C and while gaming they are pretty much 50-65C and spike sometimes around 80-85C (but only spike) so i'm done playing around with it lol

48 Posts

August 24th, 2020 06:00

For anyone wondering i fixed the issue. Apparently this whole time the cooler was installed correctly. The issue was more software based than anything. All i did was reduce the maximum processor state in the advanced power options from 100% to 99% which essentially disables the Intel turbo boost function. I've been testing this for about a month now and haven't seen any reduction in FPS or in performance whatsoever. Now i don't pass 50C while gaming and on full load. I also did a Dell hardware test and i dont pass 45C. Im happy I can sleep easy now.

1 Message

September 15th, 2020 06:00

The Noctua NH-U9S works great on this model.  No need to insert back plate.  Just buy some M3x14mm screws with washers to match and screw them in directly.  

September 15th, 2020 18:00

@TJanesDoes the Noctua trigger any BIOS errors on cold boot?

1 Message

September 19th, 2020 10:00

Hey @Noorss thanks for this solution!

I'm planning on grabbing the Noctua and installing that as you did to see how it helps. I'm new to this - any idea if I'll run into power supply problems? I've only got the 360W PSU. Is that going to limit me in terms of installing fans to help cool? 

798 Posts

September 19th, 2020 13:00

Just go to a SSD/NVMe setup for OS and storage, remove the front HDD bracket and install a Corsair H60 (2018) CPU Liquid Cooler in that upper front intake location and be done with it. 

Plug and play in that Intel socket without any modifications.   Attach four double sided pins into the motherboard, and used the mounting nuts to attach the pump head.  Hoses have rotating barbs, easy to place.   That location can take a 120mm fan and all you need are a couple of mounting locations to hold the radiator in place.  

You have plenty of airflow through that front bezel.  It's not that much more than the TX3 unit some of you are installing.   CPU temps in the low 60's using PWM and even low 50's under load with fixed CPU fan speeds if the motherboard header fan curve is too conservative.

5 Posts

September 19th, 2020 16:00

I would have to know exactly how much power your other parts require. But generally replacing fans dont put that much strain on power supply.

No Events found!