Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

9 Posts

November 2nd, 2019 18:00

Inspiron One 2310, BIOS slow to POST

Hello. When I start my pc, the dell screen(BIOS) takes over 2 mins to finish. This is way to long. I have searched youtube for solutions and all the things they say to change, are not in my bios. Please help!

My specs:

Model:Inspiron One 2310 

BIOS Mode: Legacy

BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. A05, 3/23/2011

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2019 10:00

That is an old Vista model that doesn't run windows 10 or 7,8.1. Time to replace it. All in ones are more like laptops than desktops. It has a laptop-like motherboard. Here are the Dell drivers and note version A05 has been removed.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-one-2310-intel/drivers

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 3rd, 2019 12:00

Are you running Win 7, which Dell supports on this model?

Reboot and immediately tap F12. Look for the option to run diagnostics on that menu and run all of them, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Copy error message(s), if any. Have patience, this may take a while...

When was last time the motherboard battery was replaced?  Check Service Manual for details.

You can also read How to Troubleshoot Slow Performance Issues

There are some threads about running Win 10 on this PC model, though not without issues. So search for them. But with Microsoft support for Win 7 ending in Jan'20, the time might be right...

November 3rd, 2019 23:00

Hello! Thank you for replying! I have windows 10 on my pc. Before I got windows 10 on this pc there was also very slow BIOS boot time. So I am not sure what else I can do. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 4th, 2019 10:00

Always helps to mention version of Windows in your OP. 

Did you run all the diagnostics?

Which CPU do you have in this PC?

November 5th, 2019 00:00

Hello. I have run the diagnostics and nothing had an error. I did the full test. My cpu is an intel i5. Thank you for your ongoing support.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 5th, 2019 04:00

Other than the external AC power adapter, list everything else plugged into the Inspiron One 2310.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 5th, 2019 13:00

Disconnect everything except mouse, keyboard and internet cable. See if it boots faster...

I will try this but, I run all my programs off of my external hard drive. I may have to keep this plugged in. Unless I plug it in during windows start up. Is that safe?

Connected to my pc are:

An external hard drive

An internet cable 

A mouse dongle 

A keyboard dongle

A DVD player

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 5th, 2019 16:00

Plug the external USB drive in after Windows gets to the desktop. There shouldn't be anything stored on that drive needed to boot the PC so there won't be any issues doing that. Besides, this is only a test to see if that drive is affecting the boot time...

If that drive, or any other USB device, is causing the long boot delays, there are simple ways to fix it...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 6th, 2019 08:00

The PC could be trying to boot FROM either the external hard drive or the external DVD player causing the slow down.

Boot into the BIOS, go to Boot. The Boot Priority order should be =
1st Boot Priority Hard Disk
2nd Boot Priority Disabled
3rd Boot Priority Disabled
4th Boot Priority Disabled
5th Boot Priority Disabled

You can always change those "Disabled" later if you ever need to boot from a CD or USB key.

November 10th, 2019 20:00

I tried unplugging all the devices from my computer but, there was no difference. Also my boot priority is in the right order. I am not sure what to do next.

December 13th, 2019 16:00

I tried unplugging all the devices from my computer but, there was no difference. Also, my boot priority is in the right order. I am not sure what to do next.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 14th, 2019 10:00

Have you scanned thoroughly for malware recently?

Reboot and immediately press F12. Does it take a long time to open that menu? Then try the same thing and press F2. Does it take long to open BIOS setup?

December 14th, 2019 18:00

I always scan for malware. And yes it takes a long time to open the F12 menu and the F2 BIOS setup window.

No Events found!