Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 20:00

Unable to Record Sounds on my PC

I have a Dell Inspiron 570, bought many many years back!!

Have been running on Windows 10 for quite some time now, however, I find that I now cannot see any "Stereo Mix" option (i.e. in Control Panel/Sound/Recording Tab I do not see "Stereo Mix" as a device I can Enable.... Previously, on Win 7, this was the way to get Recording working on my PC)…. I am 99.999% sure this is NOT a hardware problem, since no other Sound-related issues.... AND, I am aware of "funnies" re Sound Recording on Win 10.

I have t ried to Update the Driver but system say it is the latest version.

Anyone out there with any ideas please?

Inspiron 570:
SOFTWARE, HDF-AUD, REALTEX SEMICONDUCTOR CORP., Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 3.8GHZ, 1 MEGB, 800FSB

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2019 03:00

Do you actually have Realtek installed?  That PC does not have Dell Windows 10 drivers and the Win 7 Realtek driver is not compatible.  Most of the older hardware, such as the 570 (and other vendors not just Dell) that are upgraded to Win 10 are using the generic, basic function, Windows installed "High Definition" Audio driver and that does not have Stereo Mix.  If you want Stereo Mix you will have to add a sound card (USB best option) that is Win 10 compatible and offers Stereo Mix.

Some early versions of Windows 10 supported some older hardware but newer versions have eliminated support for some older hardware (and older Realtek is one of them).

December 3rd, 2019 08:00

Hi Fireberd,

That is excellent, many many thanks - especially in getting back to me so quickly.... I “sort of” knew the AREA of issue but did not know how to get round it..... so, very much appreciated.
Just to be a pest, a little longer, any idea of a cheap* USB solution?  What I require to do is record any sound which is currently playing on my PC, e.g. recording a voice playing on a web page.

*Does not have to be the cheapest but, if I mention this is for recording ONLY spoken word, not music, you no doubt realise I am not after high-quality Sound.

Again, many many thanks for your help.

Best Regards.

Geoff H.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2019 09:00

I can't find a reasonably priced unit that I can confirm has Stereo Mix capability.  I thought I could and the reason I mentioned it.  Some higher cost SoundBlaster PCIe cards (not USB) do have the capability (SoundBlaster used to call Stereo Mix "What You Hear" - not sure if they still do with current models).  The 570 has PCIe card slots (unless you are using them) so a PCIe sound card is an option (Avoid ASUS Xonar sound cards as the DO NOT have Stereo Mix from what I find.

December 3rd, 2019 09:00

You're still a star!!  Many many thanks for taking the time out to help.

As I say, it is very much appreciated.

: )

Geoff H.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2019 10:00

You have to have a microphone attached to record sound. Desktops don't have internal microphones like laptops. 

No Events found!