Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2018 23:00

13-7359: Closing lid does NOTHING. No fixes have worked.

I've been trying for -weeks- to find out why my laptop (Inspiron 13-7359) won't sleep when I close the lid... the screen just stays on. All my power settings are set to make it sleep when the lid closes (both power plan and "Change what closing the lid does"). I've tried like a million different display drivers. I've gone through pre-startup diagnostics, it's not a hardware issue (I think). Reinstalled APCI lid driver, however, device manager claims the device has no driver files. 

When I do close the lid, and reopen it, I'll see "autorotate on" appear at the top of the screen. So I know there is some sensing from the laptop as to the location of the lid because autorotate works completely correctly.

If it makes a difference, I've had my screen replaced, and it stopped working around the time that happened.

Any advice? Really hoping to fix this.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 06:00

Somehow I doubt it is a driver. And it appears that you have already tried the power plan and lid settings. The fact that it started when the LCD screen was replaced is too much of a coincidence. All laptops have a lid switch of one type or another. In older laptops it was a physical switch that could be seen. In modern laptops there is usually a magnet in the screen frame that activates a switch usually on the motherboard. I am wondering if during the screen replacement, the magnet was disturbed or possibly accidentally removed. Or is could be a problem with the switch itself. Who did the screen replacement on your system? If Dell I would contact Dell tech support in your region to allow them to diagnose the problem. It could be a hardware related issue.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/How-does-computer-know-when-lid-is-closed/td-p/3158753

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/13-7359-Closing-lid-does-NOTHING-No-fixes-have-worked/m-p/6239498

December 23rd, 2018 13:00

Thanks so much for your reply - you gave me the specific I needed about the lid switch. I moved a magnet around the outside of my keyboard and sure enough, the laptop went to sleep. I looked under the screen where a magnet would have been, and there was a slot in the screen's bezel that looks like a place a magnet would go (similar slots hold magnets that keep the lid closed). I think the new screen didn't come with a magnet for this spot and I just didn't notice. Just ordered a magnet to fit that spot on ebay, hopefully this will fix problem! Thanks again,

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 15:00

Glad I could help out!

1 Message

January 10th, 2021 19:00

@themayor897 @JOcean I have a Dell Inspiron 13-7386 laptop with the same exact issue - laptop will not go into sleep mode when shut and also becomes erratic if you touch the top of the lid while it's shut. Definitely screams magnet issues. Could either of you provide insight or a photo as to the location of this magnet, or even just a general idea of where to look for it? I don't know about OP's model, but on my particular model the digitizer is adhered to the display assembly and not the easiest to remove; I'd really want to be sure I know what I'm looking for before I go deep sea diving. Also, OP, if you could direct me to where you purchased your eBay magnet replacement, that would be outstanding! Thanks in advance, guys.

No Events found!