Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2018 06:00

BIOS Setting to boot USB UEFI stick

Hello !

I own this, new to me, G3-15 (3579).

It cam with Linux installed on the M.2 NVME card (Ubuntu 16.04). I want to test Ubuntu 18.04 on the virgin HDD.

SO I'm trying to boot an UEFI USB stick with a live 18.04 OS on it.

I'm unable to find the setting(s) to make this USB stick to boot and work.  I've even tried to upgrade the BIOS to the latest 1.5.1 version to no avail.

Could you please tell me what I do wrong and/or link me to a detailed BIOS user guide for DEll platforms ?

Many thanks in advance for your help and answer.

Have a bright day.

December 26th, 2018 06:00

Hello !

After some fiddling with USB sticks and settings, I finally found the answer. I did "pure" USB stcks, I.E. with GPT partition tables and EFI boot executable.

I is not working. But when you partition your stick with MSDOS (or MBR as it is sometimes called) the stick is detected and if the boot is set to UEFI on the stick, it is listed on the UEFI boot list.

So I've found the "workaround" or the logic behind the Dell boot BIOS.

Thanks for your help.

Have a nice day.

Note from Dell:

Need further assistance? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away. 

Helpful Video:

(edited)

591 Posts

December 23rd, 2018 07:00

Hello,

Connect the stick to usb port and reboot the system (or turn it on) as soon as you see the Dell logo tap F12 in the menu that appaers choose your stick.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 07:00

The answer above is correct. On UEFI systems, the boot order list for local storage devices only includes paths that have been formally registered into the firmware, which is typically done during OS installation. Temporarily attached devices like flash drives are accessed through the F12 one-time boot menu. Technically you could register the \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi bootloader file on that flash drive as a permanent boot device, but you may not want to.

December 23rd, 2018 08:00

Thank you both for your answer, but, unfortunately it does not work. I tried with 2 different USB sticks : one old 8GB USB2.0 GPT formatted with Ubuntu 18.10 put on it in "copy mode" by the Rufus application one Lexar USB 3.0 32GB with the same parameters and done exactly as the previous one. None show whatever options I choose. in F12 or in the BIOS ! So all help will be greatly appreciated !

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 09:00

If you haven’t already, try other USB ports on the system. I’ve noticed that some newer Dell systems only allow booting from certain ports for some reason. You also have to make sure the flash drive is already connected when the system first powers up. You can’t connect it afterward, just in case you were doing that.

December 26th, 2018 06:00

Hello !

After some fiddling with USB sticks and settings, I finally found the answer. I did "pure" USB stcks, I.E. with GPT partition tables and EFI boot executable.

I is not working. But when you partition your stick with MSDOS (or MBR as it is sometimes called) the stick is detected and if the boot is set to UEFI on the stick, it is listed on the UEFI boot list.

So I've found the "workaround" or the logic behind the Dell boot BIOS.

Thanks for your help.

Have a nice day.

(edited)

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 26th, 2018 07:00

FYI MSDOS and MBR are not interchangeable terms at all. MBR has nothing to do with DOS. But yes, a UEFI system can boot in UEFI mode from either GPT or MBR USB devices as long as the partition is formatted FAT32 and the UEFI bootloader file is there. GPT is more common, but MBR does work, and can be useful if you want to make a single USB device that’s bootable for both Legacy BIOS and UEFI systems. Glad you found a workaround.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 26th, 2018 07:00

FYI MSDOS and MBR are not interchangeable terms at all. MBR has nothing to do with DOS. But yes, a UEFI system can boot in UEFI mode from either GPT or MBR USB devices as long as the partition is formatted FAT32 and the UEFI bootloader file is there. GPT is more common, but MBR does work, and can be useful if you want to make a single USB device that’s bootable for both Legacy BIOS and UEFI systems. Glad you found a workaround.

If still under the purchased warranty, click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.

(edited)

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2019 09:00

Many thanks jphughan for pointing the path \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi of the bootloader file in Windows 10 64 bits USB Media creator tool ! It was missing in following Dell support article https://www.dell.com/support/article/fr/fr/frdhs1/sln142679/how-to-enable-boot-from-dvd-option-with-uefi-boot-mode-enabled-windows-10-8-1-8?lang=en and I was able to boot from USB stick with UEFI boot mode enabled by adding it in BIOS UEFI File Name entry which has not to be left blank ;-)

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2019 09:00

Many thanks jphughan for pointing the path \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi of the bootloader file in Windows 10 64 bits USB Media creator tool ! It was missing in following Dell support article https://www.dell.com/support/article/fr/fr/frdhs1/sln142679/how-to-enable-boot-from-dvd-option-with-uefi-boot-mode-enabled-windows-10-8-1-8?lang=en and I was able to boot from USB stick with UEFI boot mode enabled by adding it in BIOS UEFI File Name entry which has not to be left blank ;-)
Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Re: BIOS Setting to boot USB UEFI stick

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 26th, 2019 11:00

@m0dul8r  GPT is a partition layout scheme for the entire disk (the other option is MBR), whereas FAT32 is a file system for a partition (other options include NTFS, exFAT, etc.)  You can have a GPT flash drive that uses a FAT32 partition or an MBR flash drive that uses a FAT32 partition.  GPT and FAT32 aren't "opposite".  And you can absolutely use a GPT-initialized disk to boot in UEFI mode from USB devices.  I do it all the time, and in fact UEFI is explicitly intended to boot from GPT devices.  It also supports booting from MBR-initialized devices for backward compatibility, but it's fine with GPT.

Spanning WIMs can be a problem because the Windows Setup interface won't allow you to select images that reside in a spanned WIM, so if you use a spanned WIM you'd need to apply the image to the disk manually using a tool like DISM -- but most people don't know how to do that.  If I have a WIM that's larger than 4GB, I use Rufus to create a specially prepared flash drive that uses an NTFS partition for the main data but also contains a small FAT partition that stores a UEFI NTFS driver.  That way, when I boot the system in UEFI mode, it initially boots from the FAT partition, loads the UEFI NTFS driver, and then turns around and boots from whatever is on the NTFS partition.  It works brilliantly.  The only catch is that you have to disable Secure Boot because the bootloader for the NTFS driver is provided under an open source license and Microsoft therefore won't sign the bootloader so that it's trusted under Secure Boot.  But you can re-enable Secure Boot after you've installed whatever OS you're installing.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@m0dul8r  GPT is a partition layout scheme for the entire disk (the other option is MBR), whereas FAT32 is a file system for a partition (other options include NTFS, exFAT, etc.)  You can have a GPT flash drive that uses a FAT32 partition or an MBR flash drive that uses a FAT32 partition.  GPT and FAT32 aren't "opposite".  And you can absolutely use a GPT-initialized disk to boot in UEFI mode from USB devices.  I do it all the time, and in fact UEFI is explicitly intended to boot from GPT devices.  It also supports booting from MBR-initialized devices for backward compatibility, but it's fine with GPT.

Spanning WIMs can be a problem because the Windows Setup interface won't allow you to select images that reside in a spanned WIM, so if you use a spanned WIM you'd need to apply the image to the disk manually using a tool like DISM -- but most people don't know how to do that.  If I have a WIM that's larger than 4GB, I use Rufus to create a specially prepared flash drive that uses an NTFS partition for the main data but also contains a small FAT partition that stores a UEFI NTFS driver.  That way, when I boot the system in UEFI mode, it initially boots from the FAT partition, loads the UEFI NTFS driver, and then turns around and boots from whatever is on the NTFS partition.  It works brilliantly.  The only catch is that you have to disable Secure Boot because the bootloader for the NTFS driver is provided under an open source license and Microsoft therefore won't sign the bootloader so that it's trusted under Secure Boot.  But you can re-enable Secure Boot after you've installed whatever OS you're installing.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Re: BIOS Setting to boot USB UEFI stick

4 Posts

In order to get UEFI to work you can't use GPT - you must use fat32 during creation of the bootable usb.  Use diskpart to clean, partition, and format the stick using fat32 as the filesystem. Span the .wim's if they are too large.  I believe that GPT used to work but recent firmware updates changed this - I'm not certain.  What I can say is that I had a bootable uefi system that was GPT in order to support large files but this no longer enumerates on Dell systems -  However, it still works on HP's.  I suspect a BIOS update or an Intel firmware update made this change - and for the worse.

4 Posts

In order to get UEFI to work you can't use GPT - you must use fat32 during creation of the bootable usb.  Use diskpart to clean, partition, and format the stick using fat32 as the filesystem. Span the .wim's if they are too large.  I believe that GPT used to work but recent firmware updates changed this - I'm not certain.  What I can say is that I had a bootable uefi system that was GPT in order to support large files but this no longer enumerates on Dell systems -  However, it still works on HP's.  I suspect a BIOS update or an Intel firmware update made this change - and for the worse.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2019 12:00

I should have elaborated more - It is possible to have a bootable UEFI stick with GPT - but I'm having problems with Dell's that have received recent BIOS updates listing the file system.  These enumerate with "PMAP" when you do an f12 at boot.  I think the update made a change so that it requires you to use fat32 so that it can read the efi - if the partition where the efi is located is on gpt it's not reading like it used to.  Like I said - used to work and now suddenly doesn't after firmware updates but still works on other systems...  This was on a stick that was created by acronis imaging - I made a backup of the stick, then used diskpart to clean, partition, and format with fat32.  After marking the partition as active and copying the files back down (Files over 4gb need to be spanned or enumerated on a separate partition) it worked as it used to.  When partitioning you can probably mark the system partition as fat32 and then just save your images or whatever to another partition.  You would need to use DISM if you want windows install files over 4gb on the primary partition by spanning them - I think the original post was about Linux or something... I would probably just boot a live stick and install ubuntu over the internet.

No Events found!