Start a Conversation

Unsolved

LW

29 Posts

April 21st, 2021 10:00

Inspiron 7506 2-in-1, BSOD igdkmdnd64.sys

Am having 1-2 times per week BSOD with same notice (when I can whip out my phone fast enough to capture it):

Stop  code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
What failed: igdkmdnd64.sys

This is a relatively new Inspiron 7506 2n1 w/ souped up specs talking to a Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt dock and a pair of Dell S2421HS 1920 x 1080 monitors via display port from the dock. I regularly run the Support Assistant to update anything and everything. 

Pretty Important: I get update notices from Intel about driver updates but have ignored them and only installed updates from Dell, on advice received in this forum.

No notice of failure and no pattern that I've noticed about what I may have been using when this happens. I am a university professor teaching online this semester and have had this happen during a live zoom class but also while running a variety of programs.

There is a lot of info out there about this problem with igdkmd nd 64.sys (missing two characters) but am reluctant to move forward without knowing what exactly I should be doing. There is very little info about this exact .sys file appearing in this message.

Have repeatedly run full diagnostics after this failure but no issue is ever detected.

Any help to cure this will be greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 21st, 2021 12:00

What I would do is purchase another SSD and install Windows 10 on it.

Keep the old hard drive as a backup.

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 09:00

I’m having the exact issue with the exact same dell laptop model that I purchased 4 weeks ago. The blue screen of death appeared 3 times now since I got the laptop. Support assists scan seems to find no problem after the scan. A brand new laptop shouldn’t have such issues. 

29 Posts

April 23rd, 2021 08:00

Bummer. Finding a LOT of 'related' content on the web but no sure-fire "this will slay the dragon" responses. Have received some private messages from Dell Support because of this thread but their responses are addressing graphics drivers and I SEEM to have the current ones installed.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 23rd, 2021 08:00

Hi,

We will look into this case on priority. Please private message the current graphic driver that you have installed. Also, let us know the operating system version you have installed. 

April 24th, 2021 14:00

Got the same error. Updated BIOS and graphics yesterday one by one.

After updating the graphics I got the error when booting up multiple times.

Finally got into safe mode and uninstalled the graphics driver and got back into the desktop.

Dell, please please please please.

This is just about the worst laptop I have ever purchased. What a costly mistake.

Adaptive CABC thing is driving me crazy as well  when on battery. It is a like a light show.

5 Posts

April 27th, 2021 09:00

Same laptop and same problem. I have also confirmed that all drivers are up to date. My laptop crashes every few days and I have not been able to find a pattern. Any help is greatly appreciated!

29 Posts

April 28th, 2021 05:00

Have sent system info via PM. 

When finding the driver info with the System Information utility I also discovered that there is a memory address conflict between the Iris Xe MAX Graphics and something else. Repeating this info in case it is useful to the others following this thread.

Memory Address 0x82000000-0x82FFFFFF Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe MAX Graphics
Memory Address 0x82000000-0x82FFFFFF PCI Express Downstream Switch Port

I have no idea what the consequences of this conflict might be (there are three other conflicts as well, one I/O port, one IRQ, and another memory address). Am reporting this one because the BSOD errors I've been getting all seem to involve a display driver and all report a memory issue. Again, checking memory doesn't find any problems. But I could see how a conflict such as this could account for the intermittent occurrence of this problem.

In other news, I found a couple of posts in the wide Internet that overheating can lead to BSOD problems so I bought a powered fan laptop stand (plugged into external power, not the laptop). Got a BSOD about 30 seconds after turning on the fan. Pretty sure the two events aren't related.

29 Posts

April 28th, 2021 07:00

RE Disconnecting from the Thunderbolt Dock: Not sure exactly what you mean here. Do you mean disconnect and remain disconnected to see if the problem goes away? I cannot do this. With 1 - 2 occurrences per week I would have to go for multiple weeks to have any confidence that disconnecting from the dock had any impact on the problem. And, while I do disconnect and use the laptop in stand-alone mode for brief periods, the Laptop-Dock-Dual Monitors setup is fundamental to my work. This week I am grading student projects where I have SQL Server, Visual Studio, Visio, and Word all open simultaneously and splashed across both monitors. I cannot afford to be doing this off of a single laptop screen. (BTW: Most of these error occurrences take place when I have far fewer resources open.)

5 Posts

I followed through on the recommended steps from DELL-Cares by updating the drivers, disabling automatic restart and updating the BIOS. Since the crash occurs infrequently (1-3 times a week) it will take at least two weeks to see if this has any effect. 

Upon the request of Larry West:

System Information -> System Summary -> Conflicts/Sharing does include the following two instances:

• 

25.1K Posts

Larry West,
Thank you for the update. Did you disconnect from the WD19TB Thunderbolt dock?

29 Posts

Also, the Iris Xe MAX Graphics adapter with the memory conflict uses the igdkmdnd64.sys driver which is the resource reported in the BSOD message.

29 Posts

April 28th, 2021 11:00

Does anyone else who is having this problem have a docking station of any kind hooked up to their Inspiron? Have been getting a flurry of private messages from Dell Support and one suggests that the D.S. is the source of the problem. 

3 Posts

April 29th, 2021 02:00

I think you don't need docking station to get BSOD. I had returned two of this machine, both got BSOD issue. Many negative reviews on this laptop on Dell website but I don't think Dell cares. Earliest review was from 3, 4 months ago.

April 29th, 2021 19:00

I got a Plugable dock connected at times and seem to be working okay. Then again this system is broadly speaking a Lemon. Many other options available now. Not a smart thing to buy this one anymore or ever.

My touch pad intermittently stalls. Don't think anything can be done.

Plugable  UD-6950Z.

April 29th, 2021 19:00

I/O Port 0x00000070-0x00000070 Motherboard resources
I/O Port 0x00000070-0x00000070 System CMOS/real time clock

IRQ 16 Intel(R) Integrated Sensor Solution
IRQ 16 Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning Processor Participant

Memory Address 0x81000000-0x81FFFFFF Mini CTA Driver
Memory Address 0x81000000-0x81FFFFFF PCI Express Upstream Switch Port
Memory Address 0x81000000-0x81FFFFFF PCI Express Root Port
Memory Address 0x81000000-0x81FFFFFF PCI Express Downstream Switch Port