Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

September 9th, 2019 16:00

Black screen after installing Intel HD Graphics 630 driver

The screen turns black as soon as Intel HD Graphics 630 drivers are updated.

All other drivers are installed and updated.

Everything works normally until the driver is being installed. During the installation process the screen goes black. The cursor does not appear and the keyboard is still lit.

Whenever i restarted the laptop, after the windows loading screen, the screen goes back to black. The solution is to enter safe mode and uninstall the HD Graphics 630 driver, therefore using the Microsoft Basic Video Adapter.

However, with this basic driver, the laptop performance drops in applications that require graphics processing, making it impractical to use in such situations.

Apparently, the issue started after the CMOS battery was replaced to a new one. The system clock is properly set tho.

I tried these possible solutions:

• I tried to install several versions of the driver, which were available on the dell website itself or on the intel website, and all of them had a black screen during the installation.
  • I disabled Windows Update because it was Installing the driver automatically and the screen was turning black after a few minutes, so it doesn't work too.
  • I have also completely uninstalled the nvidia and intel drivers using DDU and tried to install hd graphics 630 drivers, but the black screen still persists.
  • Tried to update using the device manager. Same thing, screen still turns black.
  • - I've set my laptop to use the nvidia GPU as primary in all applications
  • - The power option selected is High Performance
  • I also tried to use an external monitor to see if there was video, the issue persists.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567

Windows 10 Pro version 1903

Bios version 1.10.0

Intel HD Graphics 630

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Intel Core i7-7700HQ

293 Posts

September 10th, 2019 17:00

Did you try the, "Roll Back," on the Intel driver, via the Device Manager?   Does it allow you to do? 

Maybe run "DISK CLEANUP," in all three parts.  Restart your computer and install drivers you need.  Just saying........

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

October 6th, 2019 23:00

Hi, thanks for your response.

Already tried all of that, unfortunately didn't work out.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2019 13:00

Hello,

Thanks for sharing.
I have got the same on Inspiron 5748.
I install Win10 from a new ssd disk, so it was really clean install.
Installation is OK, but all Intel graphic drivers doesn't work making a black screen at the login moment.
So with this driver I am able to connect a second screen, but i have to manipulate the "On" button to get my login page of Win10, but the principal screen always black.
I use the same issue as you, uninstall the driver to put the basic microsoft driver.
Then no more HDMI signal is available.

That 's upset me because in near 2021 we are facing problems with laptop that are no more acceptable.
I look to different forum, and this kind of problem is known from about 4 years now with different effetcs.
My laptop was perfectly functionning on Win 7 64, it is scandalous that while Win7 is already finish, Microsoft and Intel doen't fix this reccurent problem.
It is a no respect attitude.

June 9th, 2020 16:00

I had a similar issue with my Dell XPS 15 9560 after updating to Windows 10 May 2020 update (v2004)

To resolve had to install a legacy Intel HD Graphics 630 driver obtained from Windows Update Catalog website.

However, you may need to use VNC or some other remote desktop application to access your computer since the screen is blank and disable the Intel HD Graphics 630 driver from the device manager. This should cause the system to fail back onto using the NVIDIA GPU instead which should temporarily fix the blank screen.

Download legacy Intel Display Driver

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Intel(R)+HD+Graphics+630

Search for:

Intel Corporation - Display - 2/28/2018 12:00:00 AM - 23.20.16.4973

Look for the highlighted driver and download

firefox_b8dK7U3tIo.png

Once downloaded use 7-zip or Winrar to extract the contents of the cab file.

cablocation.png

Next, go to your Add and Remove programs and remove the Intel Graphic driver software. No screenshots available to show.

Then, download Display Driver Uninstaller. We'll use this to remove any Intel related drivers and files.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,1.html

ddu.png

Once the Intel driver is removed, go back to Device Manager and update the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter using the legacy driver we downloaded earlier

microsoft-basic-display-adapter.jpg

devicemanager.png

Once installed, copy the driver Hardware ID from the Details tab. Also, note that the driver date is 2/28/2018.

devicemanager2.pngdevicemanager3.png

To prevent software such as Dell Command Center and Windows Update from automatically updating the driver, we'll use Group Policy to prevent the Intel HD Graphics 630 driver from updating.

Open Run (Windows Key+R) and run gpedit.msc. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions > Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device instance IDs > Enable > Show > Paste the Intel HD Graphics 630 Hardware ID from your clipboard.

gpedit.png

If you really want ensure, no device drivers will be installed, you can prevent Windows Update from automatically installing all drivers for all devices.

Search for View advanced system settings from the Start Menu

firefox_HcruMBdJHe.png

Go to the Hardware tab > Device Installation Settings > No > Save changes.

systemproperties.png

These steps should temporarily fix the issue until Microsoft, Dell, and Intel release a driver that corrects this blank screen issue.

6 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 11:00

Hello!
Did you find any solution?

I have the same problem.

Only way my screen works is using generic driver from microsoft.

But I cant play cs go, for example, because this driver. =(

August 23rd, 2020 12:00

Unfortunately, I still have to use an Intel HD Graphics 630 driver from 2018 to prevent the blank black screen.

February 24th, 2024 02:20

This is how I fixed it on my lapmargin: 0;">Following your post I used DDU to remove all Intel drivers only. After the reboot, the intel driver was the same version as yours 31.0.101.2111 19/07/2022. I then decided to try to install the latest version (31.0.101.2125). I'm running the latest version without any flickering. Awesome! This was driving me crazy. Finally solved!

Link to thread here:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/p75-creator-9sf-flickering-screen-with-new-est-intel-drivers-intel-uhd-630.388119/

No Events found!