Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2020 00:00

Bluetooth Gone

I have an Inspiron 5493 just a few weeks old.  Microsoft updated Windows 10 Home last evening and my Bluetooth mouse quit working.  Going into Bluetooth settings I see that the button to turn it off/on no longer exists even and I cannot pair the mouse.

So I checked the Bluetooth Troubleshooter which informs me that I have no Bluetooth adapter.  Hmm...

So I did uninstall all but one of the Windows updates but no help.  The last update is a security update which will not allow itself to be uninstalled.

Finally I uninstalled the QCA9377 Bluetooth driver and reinstalled the driver downloaded from Dell this morning.  It installed with no complaints, but Windows still says the computer still has no Bluetooth  adapter.

Any idea how to resolve this problem?  Thanks.

P.S. One other anomaly exists which I have no idea if it's related or not.  In the Device Manager it shows an "Unknown USB Device".  I've tried to update it, but Win says it's already at the current level.  I also tried deleting and reinstalling it.  Also have tried turning power off for a minute or two before rebooting with no change.

February 18th, 2020 06:00

I resolved this on my own.

April 16th, 2020 08:00

Apparently Dell cleverly removed my solution and turned it into a circular reference between two different threads.

The solution which worked for me was to do a system recovery and then disable the last several updates which Win10 had done.  I can't remember the specific number.  However...  Doing the System Recovery was very difficult.  Here are notes I took on how to make it work:

System Recover in Win 10:

System Restore done the normal way has never worked for me in Win 10.  It always spins the wheels, then finally reports failure.  i.e. Search for Restore, open up the Control Panel Recovery option, etc.  However...

In thrashing around for a solution over the past week I did stumble onto a different way to run Restore that worked for me.  It did break my Bitdefender, but that was easy enough to uninstall/reinstall then all was well.  To invoke Restore I followed this path:

Click on Power > Shift-Restart > Troubleshoot > AdvancedOptions > SystemRestore.  (system p/w when requested)

February 13th, 2020 08:00

I received a private message about this which asks for some info I'd think Dell already has just from my Service Code which I did give them.  From Dell-Cares.

How do I tell if this is legitimate or a scam?

• 

25.1K Posts

February 13th, 2020 09:00

Hi, 

I'm Prajesh, from technical support team. I was the one who messaged you on private note. Details were asked for verification purpose. Do get back to us over private message so that I can assist you further on the case.

-Prajesh 

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2020 08:00

so what was the solution?  I also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, rebooting in between.  Nada. 

April 16th, 2020 04:00

A little detail would be so helpful for those (like me) coming up behind you and encountering the same issue. Hoping for a good Samaritan out there as my warranty just ran out. Thanks!

5 Posts

April 16th, 2020 07:00

Hi Pierre

For me, the problem was a bad network card on the motherboard and fortunately, mine was still under warrantee.  I shipped it back to them, and the job of course isn't the easiest because these are fixed units, not  really meant to be opened up again (risks damage to the shell and associated clips).  The removed the old card and replaced it with one that works (for now

You have two approaches that I can see - The first is to do the work yourself (there is likely a video on YouTube that will walk you through it). 

Better choice - buy a $9 USB Bluetooth adapter and pop it in.  That worked fine on my dell whilst I was trouble-shooting.  

Best of luck,

tom

April 16th, 2020 16:00

I found the related link that got me through this.

I did a complete shutdown, unplugged the power supply for 5 minutes, then powered back on. I had previously updated the Bluetooth driver from the Dell support site, which went smoothly.

BTW, my laptop is an Inspiron 13 7000 series.

Nice to see the great collaboration! Stay Safe!

1 Message

May 13th, 2020 00:00

I had the same missing Bluetooth toggle after I ran windows update.

Fixed it by restoring the BIOS back to the factory setting. Very easy fix to do, thankyou for the person who posted the answer!

1 Message

January 16th, 2021 01:00

This is the same thing that happened to me when my Alexa was not working, I turn off Bluetooth and restart my machine, and bang, Bluetooth was gone.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2021 01:00

I looked out for so much, in my case many while many post said to troubleshoot, reinstall driver, etc. nearly not any of them gave any idea for an occasion that the bluetooth driver vainished into thin air! Not listed, not mentioned, nothing and more hilariously Windows suggested me to use an external Bluetooth dongle lol.

Anyway, I wanted to add that I did not reset all for the solution, it may be a little different from @andyhGee 's solution. 

I opened BIOS settings. (When you first open your computer, as the Dell logo appears press F2.) Under Wireless Settings, I unchecked Bluetooth activations, then restarted. Opened Windows, then restart and reenter BIOS settings. Then checked back all activations under Wireless Settings. Opened Windows, checked Notifications from bottom right and voila, here is my bluetooth back in business.

1 Message

July 3rd, 2021 06:00

Thank you for this. Your method also works on my laptop. The rest of the solution was useless.

3 Posts

September 24th, 2021 11:00

I purchased a MCROSOFT MOUSE AND A LOGI KEYBOARD AND MOUSE COMBO.

How do we stop Dell Inspiron i7 3000 Bluetooth disappearing for no obvious reason. 

Just, go to your computer and walah, no Bluetooth. nothing else just Bluetooth. rinse and repeat.

Why can't PRAJESH and the ENTIRE technical team provide real customer service, and POST THE SOLUTION. Most Dell techs are jokes, I have had some wonderful ones, only after I was beaten up so many times and hung up on.  NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO RESTORE THEIR COMPUTER. REALLY!

I didn't create this issue.

I have a burned right hand so normal mouse's are extremely uncomfortable. 

After 3 months the Bluetooth Icon disappeared. I had to call del 20 times. 

(literally. 

I needed to use my Bose Bluetooth earpiece for class, I am the Director. (no  joke)

But I had to keep calling dell. 

suddenly it returned.  (so, I believe Dell is instigating these troubles.) They don't seem to provide a solution. 

Again a year later 3rd time, the Bluetooth disappeared, and my Logi Keyboard doesn't work. I can't use Bose for my class, Because Dell has no answers.

There seems to be an update connection protocol disconnect between Logitech Microsoft and Dell.

Whenever there is an up date from Dell, Microsoft, or Logitech, my computer instant has issues; so many things stop working.  It is a complete nightmare.  If I had an office full of these computers I would go out of Business. 

Who has time to spend hours on the phone with Dell tech support. 

Of course I agree that this is a miserable situation which Dell never does seem to fix.  Rather than reloading Win10 from scratch which Dell loves to recommend when they don't know what else to say, try this.

Go into the Device Manager, find your Bluetooth devices, and unload every single thing that's in there  - duplicates and all.  Then reload your Bluetooth driver and it seems to work for me  - for a week, for six months, there's no predicting it. 

Sadly, the approach of using a USB adapter doesn't work for me.  It works until the machine is shut down then after reboot Bluetooth refuses to work again.  Until I unplug the adapter and replug it.  I did at one point replace the adapter shipped with the computer for an Intel adapter.  That was also not a permanent solution, though maybe it helped - who knows?

5 Posts

Dude, I feel your pain.  Rather than continue to solve the problem for over a year, a $10 usb bluetooth adapter simply works around it, and has presented no issues going forward.  It's not worth the agrivation.  Next laptop will not be a Dell for me. 

No Events found!