Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2020 11:00

(Bought Two) G5 SE Crashing, Locking Up - There's no fix, return it

I made the mistake of buying TWO (one for self, one for wife) of Dell's G5 SE 'gaming' laptop, and spent two months trying to fix it.  End of story- Dell won't replace it because I spent too long (few weeks over 30 days) trying to fix it, trusting Dell and their support would have a driver or solution somewhere, if I just kept at it... Should've just called and refunded both, day one.

Issue 1) It's built to run HOT HOT HOT- doing the most basic, low settings, of gaming, it will run at dangerously high levels.  I've bought an external (I'm not kidding- the laptop just locked up for 4 seconds... NOTHING is running) cooler, and it has done really well, but you still can't touch the keyboard while running a graphical program or game.

Issue 2) It LOCKS UP for seconds (plural), randomly.  Like I noted above, I was just typing, not running a program, not watching Youtube, and it locked up for about 4-5 seconds.  It does this commonly a few minutes in to boot-up, and just whenever it feels like it, throughout use.

Issue 3) My laptop (one of two) has experienced seemingly random lock-up/CRASHES (one was full on Blue Screen).  Funny thing- the OS, Dell Support Assist, BIOS diagnostics, NOTHING can tell something has gone wrong (except in the case of the BSOD).  These death-lockups TEND to happen during gaming (Final Fantasy XIV, Minecraft, The Division 2), and I've turned the settings to LOWEST just to test- it still full locked up and rebooted.  Is this a power failure?  Is the CPU tripping over the GPU through failings of "Power Shift Technology"?   It's not that it can't handle the load- the first thing I did was run benchmark tests on all my games- it 'handles' them fine... sometimes all day!  Then, sometimes, it dies 8 times in a day, somehow choking on its own insides, unable to render an empty desktop with stock background...

Here are some anecdotes)

1) Sometimes when switching tabs, programs, windows, etc- you'll hear a 'pop' from the speakers, like it's calibrating to that source's audio, and tuning back down to your volume level?  Often when it 'crashes/locks up', you can hear a faint buzzing from the speakers until it reboots (once it didn't reboot, and instead loudly output the last sound it was playing).  I honestly thought a fan blade got stuck, at first. I don't know if this is power, software, or what- but it's not good.

2) I've carefully watched the temperature (good with cooling pad), GPU 0/1, CPU, etc, and I don't let them max out- but this "Smart Shift" thing seems like a nuisance.  It's constantly shifting the processes back and forth so any second has you maxing out the CPU or GPU 0 or GPU 1, then throws it back to one of the others, in spikes.  Even so- like I said, I can get crashes on lowest settings, while sitting in an empty lobby for an MMO, or a low graphics pre-rendered cutscene (when the temperature and processors are clocked at their least taxed- I checked)... It makes me wonder if the issue is that this laptop DOES RELY ON ITS INTEGRATED GRAPHICS CARD for most things, until it seemingly hits a threshold. and tries to jump to the better components.  Maybe it's failing to start and switch?  Maybe the processor is just garbage, gets backed up, then tries to push everything from the last 5 seconds through and dies?

3) Drivers for all these components are not simple to find.  This version of drivers requires you to go to the manufacturers, then find the offshoot version for this Power Shift laptop.  Somehow, the auto-updates on the computer aren't pointing to these, so you have to manually do it... still didn't fix the issue (not BIOS update, graphics drivers, sound, etc...)

4) I've done the good ol' factory reset.  Full wipe, reinstall OS, programs added slowly, etc.  Out of the gate, same issues- I mean day one, nothing installed.  It seems systemic- something about how this unit handles its piggy-back processors maybe...

5) Went through the steps with Dell for them to inform me I'm not eligible for a refund, replacement, or model change- I spent too (it just locked up again... you can't make this up) much time troubleshooting the issue myself, and have passed the 30 day window by a few weeks.  AHA! THEY GOT ME!  NOW I'M STUCK!  So, I can opt to mail it in for a few weeks (because no one lives/works on their laptops during COVID-19), and HOPE they don't just factory reset it and send it back unfixed so I can perpetuate this dance until their warranty runs out (ever do that before?).

I've read the other posts, tried the other solutions, run my own myriad tests- I've no ideas for a fix.  If anyone has the misfortune of getting one of these- RETURN IT.  It doesn't look like anyone has a solution for this model.  (Of course, if you do, outside of update BIOS, update drivers, factory reset, I'm all ears!)  Maybe my notes can help someone figure this out.

Good luck.

10 Posts

August 12th, 2020 12:00

Try this solution. I've been having thermal issues and crashes too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/hmjuxy/i_finally_got_my_dell_g5_15_es_4800hrx5600m/

I'm testing this myself currently. Seems okay so far. Let me know how it works out for you. 

10 Posts

August 16th, 2020 08:00

Try this out. This is the best solution.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/i8f9mi/dell_g5_se_crashing_solution/?utm_source=xpromo&utm_medium=amp&utm_name=amp_comment_iterations&utm_term=control_1&utm_content=post_body

Seems to be an issue with the chipset driver. Updating that, along with all the other steps mentioned worked for me. No crashes as of now (yet).

2 Posts

November 14th, 2020 06:00

Hello guys, hope everyone is doing fine.

I found a fix for a lot of the issues mentioned here. I have owned the G5 5505 for about 2 weeks, the very first thing I did was upgrade the RAM to 16gb @3200mhz. For a while, I thought the RAM was my issue, but after swapping back and forth I found it didn't make a difference and then I found a few threads on the forums about the same issues we are having, including this post.

For the past few days, this has helped me a lot. Especially with the stuttering or "laggy mouse" issues that were mentioned. Basically all the problems went away with this easy fix. I would get the "laggy mouse" a lot, especially while using the laptop on the battery.

This is a super easy, not out of this world solution: I uninstalled ALL Dell bloatware, but made sure I downloaded and installed the important updates, like the Bios Update and anything marked "Urgent" on www.dell.com/support for the system. Even with this, I still got the "laggy mouse" effect from time to time, but less frequent.

Next I downloaded and installed the most up to date Alienware Command Center app and the Alienware OC Controls that go with it. Restarted the laptop, loaded Alienware Command Center, it asked me to then download an even more up to date OC Controls that downloaded directly through the AWCC app.

I restarted one last time and loaded up the Alienware Command Center App. Within the app there is an option for "Default" at the bottom, and on the "Power" setting I selected "High Performance". (See Picture Below)

THAT WAS IT. this solved my issues with the Stuttering, the Laggy Mouse, and even a few crashes I would get from time to time on a 3D design software I use for work. No crashes during gaming either. 

Let me know what you guys think and if this helps. I hope it does. 

Alienware.png

2 Posts

November 14th, 2020 09:00

I don't think I explained myself correctly. For me it wasn't the RAM that helped. What helped me was uninstalling all Dell Updates Bloatware that comes factory installed. Then I manually installed the updated as needed from the dell support page, for example the Bios Update and AMD Driver Updates, along with a few others. Then I started messing around with the settings in Alienware Command Center, to set it to "High Performance". 

It actually helped a lot. Especially with the mouse stuttering and the crashing associated with the 3D Rendering Software I use for work.

Been running it like this for a few days now, and it is running fantastic. I do run one of those cooler pads with fans while I am gaming, which may help as well, since the crashing while gaming could be associated with heat. But since I have a separate Gaming Rig, I only game on this Laptop for about 2 hours at a time, and haven't seen any issues since the doing process I just explained. 

13 Posts

February 21st, 2023 17:00

I occasionally go on Dell's site/program and have it auto update everything it wants.  Then it crashes constantly.
I used to remedy this by going on AMD's site and downloading the latest Radeon software, and it would set me up with a driver not made for my computer, just the generic one.  It would work like a charm until Dell/Microsoft updater would detect it and wipe it out.
I had more luck when I completely uninstalled the display drivers, and loaded a fresh driver install from AMD- but it usually resulted, eventually, in the same issues.

Here's what I've been doing for a while and haven't had an issue*.
Go into device manager, select display adapters, select the graphics card, and update drivers, BUT select from disk, and pick the default driver (I've got RX 5600M, and I'm on driver 30.0.13014.8 dated 8/26/2021).  *It has some initial bugs (screen flickers once in a while), but I've never had a crash, and I'm not updating it!

Funnily (not funny), Realtek has the same issue- when it updates, I lose my mic input every single time.  If I manually roll it to the initial driver, it works properly.

I'm sure there's all sorts of vulnerabilities, problems, and whatever other boogy-monsters for doing this, but frankly, if I can't game on my gaming laptop, what's the point?  I've come to resorting to running games at lowest settings, lower than 1080 resolution sometimes, and NEVER turning on 'reflections' (instant crash), and still couldn't evade the crashes before this new solution I'm on.  (I also wish I could control the frame-rate outside of games' settings- once in a while a game doesn't have it, and it tries to crank 144FPS to match the monitor, which is a nightmare.  You just don't have AMD's usual Radeon amenities with the custom Dell-G5 drivers.)

13 Posts

Yeah, admittedly, that took a while to figure out. But, even after a full factory reset and reinstall, even before drivers updated, it happened. I updated everything proper after that, trusted it would get better, and it still occurs.

Thanks for the detail.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

Run Del Diagnostics to make sure there isn't a hardware problem that is covered by the warranty.

If nothing is found, I would simply install Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Remember that Dell laptops have customized drivers for your exact model, so uninstall any other manufacturer's driver and reinstall the original Dell drivers. 

13 Posts

Yeah, I thought that, too. Diagnostics (including pre-boot BIOS ran diagnostics) all find no issues, though. Nothing even logs the crash as having occurred- it just locks up and then reboots.

I appreciate the suggestion.

13 Posts

August 12th, 2020 13:00

Initial testing:

I tried running some game benchmark tests, without using my cooling pad (after applying this solution)- I think the temperature never hit the same highs.  (I would hit 160-170F pretty quickly, the cooling pad could knock off 20F from that; after doing this fix, I hit maybe 155F without the cooler.)

This really might be something- I'll keep testing.

13 Posts

August 12th, 2020 13:00

I was literally just going through these menus and trying this, as you posted this!  Found the same site, and wondered how legitimate it was- I'm always wary of FORCING the computer to do things via root/regKEY areas- I mean, we shouldn't have to, but we've got to get control back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSVbxqqomdQ

This guy has a video doing the same thing.

I'm hopeful, because this sounds like the issue is blasting too much wattage into the processors, which would explain the lockup and sounds I hear (a side effect is the extra voltage/wattage bleeding into the speaker/soundcard) (sounding like I know what I'm talking about)...

I'll try it- if it works, it'll be a few days before I feel even remotely confident, but if it doesn't, I'll probably know within a day.

I appreciate the post- will keep an eye out, and let you know if I have results!

10 Posts

August 12th, 2020 14:00

I managed to play a few games like Ghost Recon Wildlands and FarCry on Ultra for about 10 minutes without the system crashing again. Benchmark tests reveal a 5-10% reduction in FPS from before I changed the performance booster settings, but I'm okay with that as long as the system is stable.

Still yet to test out for longer durations though. I agree with you on ideally not having to tinker around with any of this, completely wrong on Dell's part!

I'm in a dillema now to keep this or get a refund before my 30 days gets over, completely takes away the joy of getting something new! 

13 Posts

August 12th, 2020 17:00

I really appreciate the context.

My last computer, I built- and I nearly built this one, but decided the portability of a laptop is more important to me (my last build was about 10" cubed, still not nearly as convenient as a laptop, even with a portable station on wheels, all in one plug attached, etc).  It was just such a kick in the teeth that, my first build ran perfectly, and then I buy this "PROFESSIONALLY BUILT" machine, for it to be terrible useless for all its crashes.  That computer is years old, which, in gaming terms, means I ran everything nowadays on "potato" setting.  I didn't need this to run even 60FPS, I just needed it to not crash multiple times a day...

And yeah, that warranty is a great big "GOTCHA"!  It gives the real impression they don't care about doing the right thing.  I can't send it back for repairs- I know what happens in that process, they reformat it, turn it on and off, then send it back.  You run it for a day, and CLEARLY see they never even tried to look into it- they ran the BIOS diagnostics, which stated "no problems" and probably plan to sock you with a bill for a 'no failure found' repair ticket.

I'll keep researching how to tell what's tanking this randomly- from over powering components, to bloat ware.  If it's anything short of a literal mechanical failure, there has to be a solution.  It would just be nice if Dell would perhaps issue a statement about this being a known issue and something they're working on- not blaming us for.  It's not like it's unknown- it seems practically every other post I read about this machine goes this same way.

Thanks, again.

33 Posts

August 12th, 2020 17:00

Feeling your pain. I considered the G5 SE, but decided to go with the Intel/RTX option and get the G5 5500... Let me tell you, the grass hasn't been much greener in Intel land... Three BIOS updates in one month and I have a feeling more are coming until things stabilize. Dell Update kept locking at 10% (ended up having to do a manual uninstall/reinstall of Dell Update). Laptop kept doing something very strange when I'd close the lid... after an hour or so I'd re-open (or next morning) only to find it had hard rebooted and was presented with a blue screen showing Windows 10 didn't start properly.

Like you, I ran all the diagnostics test and everything was coming up clear.

Fortunately my issues have been mostly resolved (the occasional reboot to blue screen still happens, albeit only when lid closed and it should be hibernating), but only after some heated discussions with Dell support. Calling Dell support finally led to a support tech remoting into my machine. I had installed a second m.2 SSD drive and for some reason between Dell drivers and Windows 10 stock drivers for the device there was a problem. Device-manager, right-click and "update driver". I suggest doing that on your drives, RAM, etc... Also went into Windows System logs and noticed some odd behavior with Skype so uninstalled Skype and fixed one other issue I kept seeing with one of the Dell bundled apps.

The bottom line is that you've chosen a Windows 10 PC and even buying from one of the highest rated vendors like Dell, there's going to be issues because you have so many parts vendors. You have an OS product from Microsoft and a composite hardware product by Dells... Parts vendors, PC manufacturer, OS vendors. Three parties that finger point at one another when things go wrong. If you want a system that "just works" that's also a gaming PC, well that product does not exist. The closest thing to it would probably be the Microsoft Surface Book ($2500+ for a 1660 TI, but build quality and overall quality of spec-drivers etc is rock solid) or buy one of the AMD based Mac Book Pros with m5600. You'll pay through the nose, but perhaps that is what it cost to get a product that's well vetted, rock solid in driver and hardware stability that doesn't steal your most valuable asset , time.. Even Apple isn't without its quality issues (google "mac keyboard fiasco") but there is a difference in build quality for sure and when the hardware vendor also owns the OS and only works with a handful of parts suppliers of course they are going to build a much, much better product in terms of stability. In fact, I would say if you truly value your time, Windows 10 systems in general are generally garbage. I had a $5000 Dell laptop about three years ago it was nothing but problems. You can't expect Ford to build you Mercedes-Benz or McDonalds to make you a 5-star meal. They might try to market something up there and slap a high-end price tag on it, but it's not going to happen. They quality assurance has to be there from the design, spec of parts, to the build process, to the customer service interactions. A company like Apple or even Microsoft with their Surface line, would get about an 8.5 on a 10 scale. Dell would probably be like a 5.5 and a vendor like MSI I'd probably give a 3.5.  You don't always get what you pay for, but see sometimes you actually do.

I think of gaming PCs and especially gaming laptops a bit like high-end exotic sports cars. Although the G5 series isn't bleeding high-end its in the ballpark and comes with the same high maintenance tax, you're basically pushing the hardware as far as it can go. So in that regard stability should be generally good on a quality system, but it's performance over stability mindset and that doesn't come without some general problems. 

Good luck

P.S. The Dell 30-days no hassle return policy seriously needs to be modified. As it was explained to me, it's 30 day return from the time "buy button is clicked". If your Dell arrives 2-3 weeks later, for most people 7-9 days is all you really have to do the return from the point of opening the box. Really you don't even have that much time because to honor the 30-day return it has to be back at the factory/service center by day 30. So you can't drop it off at UPS on day 30 and think the return shipping date is going to help you any. What I don't like about the 30 day policy is that it isn't transparent. They advertise 30 days and yet there is this horrible fine print around it. When a company is so clearly non-transparent about terms it leads buyer to wonder what else marketing might be masking. In my view point its unethical and manipulative, which unfortunately means as a company Dell is matching those negative attributes. 

13 Posts

August 13th, 2020 11:00

@ysuryak 

Well, I've had similar results- I've only had maybe 2 separate 1-hour testing periods (not definitive at all), but I've been watching the stats closely.

1) I agree, FPS drops a little bit.  I think I dipped around 55 during The Division 2's Benchmark Test on "High" (not max)- topping around 75.  Previously, I'd do maybe 5-10FPS better.

2) My temps are up to around 5-15 degrees (F) better- I actually didn't need the external fan/cooling pad to play a game.  I was initially hitting 175F playing games (even on low-ish), and had to get the cooling pad to avoid burning it out, long term.  I'd get to around 145F with it.  Now, I'm hitting around 145-155F without it, and the cooling pad actually isn't making much of a difference anymore.  I find that interesting- the heat sink design is not good, but forcing the extra cool air was a REQUIREMENT before.

No crash yet.  It'll take a few more days of testing- maybe a big gaming weekend, to feel better about it.  Wondering if you've gotten any further or had any other anecdotes in your tests.

No Events found!