Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

4 Posts

March 6th, 2019 17:00

Brand new Inspiron 5575 no hard drive detected

I bought an Inspiron 5575 with the 256gb SSD option.

Worked fine the first day. Second day i opened it up to install an extra stick of RAM, when i tried to start up the laptop, it gave me an error that no hard drive was detected. I pressed F2 and went into the boot setup. It is set to "secure boot enabled" and secure boot mode standard. I tried changing those to boot from Legacy, but then i get the error that there is nothing to boot from. I checked all the cableconnections, they are still all plugged in. 

Please help. I dont want to return this pc, as i dont belive the SSD is bad, it just might be a settings issue?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

March 6th, 2019 18:00

@Gambiboi wrote:

I bought an Inspiron 5575 with the 256gb SSD option.

Worked fine the first day. Second day i opened it up to install an extra stick of RAM, when i tried to start up the laptop, it gave me an error that no hard drive was detected. I pressed F2 and went into the boot setup. It is set to "secure boot enabled" and secure boot mode standard. I tried changing those to boot from Legacy, but then i get the error that there is nothing to boot from. I checked all the cableconnections, they are still all plugged in. 

Please help. I dont want to return this pc, as i dont belive the SSD is bad, it just might be a settings issue?

Thanks

Perhaps you zapped the circuit by not practicing proper ESD procedure when you installed that extra stick of RAM.

4 Posts

March 6th, 2019 19:00

I touched bare metal before opening the laptop if thats what you mean. I had no static electricity

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

March 6th, 2019 19:00

Did you match the Ram with the current Ram? Sounds to me like you **bleep** up with the ram install, which gave you errors, then you went into the BIOS and changed the SATA from RAID to AHCI so your system can no longer see your SSD.

Download the Service Manual for your exact model and follow the direction especially the how to prepare to open and work inside your notebook. ESD protection,  just touching metal is not sufficient. But i think you probably put in noncompatible RAM Stick or don't have it seated correctly.

Remove the ram stick you put in.

Return your SATA to RAID and any other setting you changed put them back to what they were.

I'll bet on your notebook will be working again.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2019 04:00

RAM excatly matched the one that came with the pc. I removed the added ram, didnt help. I dont have the RAID setting. The only thing i changed is the boot setting from uefi to legacy, and then back to uefi. I thought maybe that changed when i added memory. When i boot from uefi, it says no HD installed, when i boot from legacy it says no bootable drive found. Ill take it back where i bought it and see if they can fix it. I guess it may be a loose connection of the SSD that im not able to locate.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

March 7th, 2019 12:00

tSo then when you switched from UEFI/GPT to Legacy/BIOS MBR you probably wiped out your EFI partition changed the hard drive form GPT  to MBR.  This still doesn't explain why you're not seeing your SSD.

I would put your hard drive up, install your SSD with no other drive installed. Download Windows 10 install and create a USB Thumb drive install media. You'll do this with Media Creation Tool  

So now start your windows Install with your USB thumb drive plugged in, press the power button and start spamming F12 this will bring up a boot menu where you will select UEFI USB your install media to boot from.

When you get to the part where you select a volume to install too and you don't see your SSD, then press Shift F10 this will bring up a command prompt type in

Diskpart

List Disk

Select your SSD

Clean

Exit and your SSD will be visible to install to, If not then the SSD is probably defective

If this install goes good let the install complete and you'll have a working notebook. 

Next install Macrium Reflect  Free

Create your MR USB Recovery thumb drive

Connect your old hard drive VIA USB External Case or SATA to USB adapter

Create an Image of your C Partition only Save it somewhere either on the SSD or On the Hard Drive

Boot to your MR USB recovery thumb drive and restore the image of C you created to the C on your new SSD, 

Once the restore completes shut down don't reboot shut down, and remove your hard drive, 

Boot up your notebook you should be right where your C drive was last time you used it working on the SSD as normal.

All that is working you can connect your hard drive VIA USB, format hard drive as a storage drive Then install in your 2nd slot or keep it in an external case.

@Gambiboi wrote:
RAM excatly matched the one that came with the pc. I removed the added ram, didnt help. I dont have the RAID setting. The only thing i changed is the boot setting from uefi to legacy, and then back to uefi. I thought maybe that changed when i added memory. When i boot from uefi, it says no HD installed, when i boot from legacy it says no bootable drive found. Ill take it back where i bought it and see if they can fix it. I guess it may be a loose connection of the SSD that im not able to locate.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2019 14:00

I just got it replaced at the store, they said defective hard drive. But thanks for the advice

No Events found!