Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

January 12th, 2019 12:00

Can you move the "Image" partition ?

I have a new G3 with a 128gb SSD (C:) and a 1tb Hard Disk (D:). Is it possible to move the "Image" partition from C: to D: ?

Thanks

(ps: if this is the wrong community for a G3, which one should I use ?)

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 12th, 2019 16:00

Using this forum is fine. Try the following link below. It has steps on how to move the recovery partition.

https://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/windows-10-move-recovery-partition-4348.html

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 13th, 2019 08:00

You can certainly capture an image of that partition and restore it onto another drive.  Free tools such as Macrium Reflect Free will do this.  However, I don't know if it will still be usable through the image recovery function built into the system firmware.  I don't know if it will be set to check for that partition even on another drive.  Or if you never expect to need or want to return to the factory state, you can simply get rid of it.  If you capture images of your system in its current state at least periodically (and potentially right before significant changes, such as Windows updates or a new release of Windows 10), you'll have a way to roll back just a little bit in the past.  I've found that by the time I need to perform a clean install of a system, the factory state is so outdated in terms of drivers, applications, and nowadays Windows 10 version that I always decide to just start fresh with the latest of everything, which is why I've never bothered to keep that.  Periodic image backups on the other hand can be a godsend though if your system ends up unbootable after something goes awry.

2 Posts

November 28th, 2020 01:00

You can move recovery partition to USB drive VERY easily. Take a look at my case. I needed to change my old HDD into a new SSD drive. I just needed to download "OS Recovery Tool" software from Dell which creates bootable USB with Windows recovery image. IMPORTANT: if this tool says to you, that your computer has a recovery partition and therefore you should use it, just simply use OTHER computer, run there OS Recovery Tool, and instead of "this computer" option use "other computer" option and enter there a service tag of the 1st computer.
Where to find service tag? When you run Dell "OS Recovery Tool" on 1st computer it shows you that. And additionally most likely you will have it somewhere on your laptop.
Wish you all guys luck!

No Events found!