Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 15 5570 WIFI VERY SLOW - Frustrating

I've been seeing this in quite a lot of threads on the internet, there is an issue with the wifi module (intel dual band wireless-AC 3165) that DELL is using in its new line of laptops.

I have Comcast's 250mbps internet connection at home. I have several other devices (phones, tablets, chromebook) that get at least 40-50mbps with wireless connection (checked using speedtest.net app) but the new DELL laptop 5570 that I bought in January 2018 from DELL's website is only getting 1-2mbps download and 3-4mbps upload speed. Can someone explain whats going on and help troubleshoot this problem. I've reset the modem, checked it's firmware and updated the DELL system with all new updates. Wifi module driver is also up to date. 

I'm using DLink DIR 850L router. I hope I provided enough info. Please help.

October 20th, 2018 10:00

Thanks!  I just uninstalled SmartByte and internet speeds went from 20MBPS to 107MBPS!!!! :)

1 Message

October 30th, 2018 07:00

Thanks, I was having the same issue. Downloads were painfully slow and I could only get 10 Mbps on the download speed tests.

Turning off SmartByte immediately solved the problem. Does Dell not test these things before installing them?

1 Message

October 31st, 2018 04:00

Wow!! I have a Dell INSPIRON 7559 and have been spending weeks trying to figure out why I have slow internet on just one device (Dell Inspiron 7559). Ran speedtest.net prior to uninstalling program called “SmartByte Drivers and Services” and noted download speed of 26 Mbps; after uninstalling SmartByte (and without even a reboot) WiFi download speed jumped to 235 Mbps!

2 Posts

November 15th, 2018 09:00

I was getting 80-100mb readings on a 200mb network, now I'm getting 180-200.

This works on the new G7 7588 too, so, thanks!

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 12:00

OH MY GOD!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!

For spotting this!! Finally I got it fixed!! I upgraded to 50Mbs and still had bad internet connection on both my laptops, just realized they're both Dell!!! Shame on you Dell!!

1 Message

November 25th, 2018 12:00

I've recently encountered the same problem: download speeds (exchange to Dell via BT Home Hub Wi-Fi) at less than 10 Mb/s. However, speeds from exchange to Hub were about 60 Mb/s (so not my internet connection), and speeds to my mobile phone about 50 Mb/s - so problem was with the Dell Wi-Fi

Following suggestions on this forum I have uninstalled SmartByte - and immediately the speed to the Dell is 50+ Mb/s

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 07:00

This is amazing. What is (Not-so)SmartBytes and why is it on the machine and able to dog it down like that????? **bleep**. 

Thanks a million for this fix. Uninstalled and went from 2-4Mbps to 109Mbps. Just breathe!

Have a beer on me!

1 Message

December 7th, 2018 09:00

thank you thank you thank you! Uninstalling SmartByte did the trick!

January 10th, 2019 15:00

I bought recently 7773 ,2 in 1 Dell laptop and I have the same problem. Donwload 50-60. I have a good router. I uninstalled smartbyte and drivers Dell. Once it work but when I reconnect same speed. For me is not a solution. I made updates on Wi-Fi board. The problem is, my opinion that module Wi-Fi from laptop inside must be change. It's an hardware problem, not software as is not stable and not increasing the power. I test the router on my phone and I have 230-250 per second. Internet it's 1gb. Anybody have this situation? My opinion that module Wi-Fi doesn't allow more that 100...it's broken or they put a wrong module. 

3 Posts

January 17th, 2019 04:00

I have the same problem on my Inspiron 5570 but uninstalling SmartByte fixed only LAN connections (download 92Mbps / upload 15Mbps) but not Wifi ones (download 89 Mbps / upload 0). I have a Wifi network with 802.11n protocol.

If I force the Wifi card to use 802.11a or 802.11b or 802.11g protocols, I can use the upload but download is very slower (max 24Mbps on a/g).

Can someone tell me how to fix it?

Thanks!

January 17th, 2019 05:00

Why i do a fresh install every time I get a new PC.

1 Message

February 8th, 2019 15:00

I also wanted to chime in as I was experiencing slow download speeds of 10Mbps on my brand new Dell laptop today with a Intel wireless AC 9560 network card.

This app is loaded on Dell laptops, particularly my new Dell Inspiron 5000 14in. It's called "SmartByte"

1. From the "Type here to search" bar in the lower left portion of the screen in Windows 10, type "SmartByte", if the program appears, click on it. Alternatively, look for it in your Windows program list and click on it.
  2. The program will open, title Dell Cinema Stream in the upper left corner of the program, big words in the program window say "Network Prioritization". This is some Network Quality of Service software pre-loaded by Dell.
  3. There will be a slider bar in this application to turn it On/Off. By default it is turned on.
  4. Turn the slider to the Off position.
  5. Re-run your speed test. I went from 10Mbps download rate to over 400Mbps download rate (Note: Speeds will vary depending on your actual internet speed and type of router, but should allow you to max out download speeds based on your conditions.).

Hope this helps, there's likely nothing wrong with the hardware of your new Dell, just a small tweak that needs to be made so you can stop pulling your hair out.

1 Message

February 13th, 2019 17:00

I uninstalled smart Byte and my speed went up from 30mb to 102mb, I'm still not getting the 250mb though while on both my I-phone 6S plus and iPhone X I'm getting 200mb 

1 Message

February 15th, 2019 05:00

Hi, i Actually don't have SMART BYTE any more on my laptop and it still cuts out randomly and goes very slow, and sometimes refuses to download anything all together. do you have any other suggestions? as it seems to be working randomly

1 Message

February 16th, 2019 10:00

I just purchased an Inspiron model #5579 and was having slow internet problems. Every device in the house was running close to 150mbps except my shiny new laptop. It was running at about 20mbps. Tried your solution on my laptop and holy cow. Now its running at 150mbps like all the other devices. Whatever this smartbite is, its **bleep**.

No Events found!