Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

3 Posts

October 17th, 2018 18:00

Inspiron G3 15-3579, randomly freezes

My laptop that I bought back in August has this reoccurring problem that occurs more and more frequently. It randomly freezes and nothing works, not even ctrl+alt+delete. However if i simply unplug the power supply or shut the lid and reopen it, it works perfectly fine. Anyone else notice this problem or know a solution? 

Current Config:

Intel i7-8750h

1050 ti 

PC 401 NVME SK hynix 512 GB

January 20th, 2019 22:00

Hi Jaunoski, I haven't encountered the freeze after i've disabled the turbo boost feature except when I plugged in my printer/scanner and begin sending data, which is weird for me. tried ruling everything out but this one's persistent. you could send a dm directly to one of the Dell community engineer to work closely with your case. 

Hi tamj0rd2, does this one include the fix in the occurring freeze when a printer/scanner is sending data? thanks

3 Posts

This thread has been very helpful, Thank you. I bought my laptop last year December 2018, I haven't been using it too often when I first got it because I wanted to upgrade to an SSD as my Boot Drive and turn my HDD as Storage before I fully use my laptop or transfer all my files to it. When I got the chance to upgrade it, I've installed my SSD, installed a fresh new Windows 10 as well to my SSD then started installing apps too I was starting to use my laptop more often, a few days passed from using my laptop with a new SSD I get these random freezes/lags on my laptop, at first I didn't pay attention to it but as soon as I was using it more often it freezes more often too, now I started to get worried. I was thinking what could be causing these random freezes that keep happening, I thought maybe I didn't installed the SSD properly on the motherboard? Maybe something went wrong with installing a new Windows 10? Maybe some of my drivers aren't updated? So, I tried everything, every possible solution I could find. Then I came across this thread and found out people are experiencing random freezes on there laptops too. I've realized also that maybe there's nothing wrong with the SSD I bought or the Drivers, maybe it's the laptop itself that has the problem.

After reading through the replies, the one that seemed to work for me or at least I see for most people too is turning Intel Turbo Boost off, after turning it off rebooting my laptop and using it for browsing and gaming it didn't freeze at all. Although after turning off Intel Turbo Boost, which is turning the Maximum processor state to 99% on both On Battery and when Plugged In, when I started charging my laptop and as soon as it reached 99% a few minutes later it freezes again. Does this mean when I charge my laptop I have to make sure it doesn't reach 99%? Do other people experience this after turning off Turbo Boost?

UPDATE!

As I was writing this it just froze again PLEASE HELP, is there anything else I need to do besides turning Turbo Boost off? I haven't done any other procedures on this thread I went straight to turning off Turbo Boost since it was effective for most people and it was for me but I don't know why it still keeps freezing. For now I'll monitor my laptop and keep you guys updated if it does still freezes when Turbo Boost is off.

January 22nd, 2019 04:00

Hi guys, just want to give a quick update. I have installed the older Intel HD Driver from tamj0rd2's post. will be monitoring for a couple of days if the freeze would occur. Regards

January 22nd, 2019 22:00

got a random freeze again for like 5mins ago. followed many steps and guide even from dell reps on this one. still the problem persists. Hey guys from Dell any feedback from you people?

January 24th, 2019 08:00

We have the same issue with a G3 3579. The issue started occur more and more frequently during December 2018 and this current month (January 2019). I just tried today to lower to 99% the setting for disablig Power Boost. Everything in drivers and Windows Updates is up to date. The issue occurs both with the embedded keyboard and with an external keyboard connected to an USB hub. The issue occurs with a couple of different USB mice connected either directly or through the same USB hub. When the issue occurs with the keyboard sometimes it stops typing, loosing the pressed buttons. Other times it stops typing for 1 sec and then it keeps repeating up to 17 times the last button I pressed before the hanging. This makes typing really impossible, needing to delete the repeated characters and retype whole sentences! Sometimes it even seems the cursor loose it focus and I need to re-click on the text field / document to restart typing!

1 Message

January 28th, 2019 14:00

ABSOLUTELY CRAZY ON MI SIDE ALSO!

I can't believe Dell would let it go this far! Its obvious there is an issue with this laptop! I'm loosing it! I was always big fan of Acer and Asus (affordable prices with good hardware) and I though maybe I will give it a go! OMG! Dell my choice for 1400 EUR!!!! And it keeps freezing and freezing and freezing! Its an absolute nightmare and Im going through very hard times anytime I do some work! Just worry and worry again if my laptop is going to freeze on me! I had a feeling this is caused by Sketchup which I'm using a lot, but now I can see the issue is just happening to anyone! Dell seriously should cope on! Because this is just an disaster and I'm so annoyed! 

Need to get this solved ASAP! 

4 Posts

January 30th, 2019 23:00

I have the same problem too. On going for months. Frozen at least  100 times.

All i can say is that it will freeze randomly whatever you something do or do not. Last example was just watching youtube full screen hardware  then uplugging to go in my bed on battery mode, 2m later, freeze, i go back to desk to plug (only solution to UNFREEZE, either plug or unplug) then 3min later freeze again, plug/unplug, this time, 1m46 later freeze.

Got tired and restarted the PC and went on with new tasks such as checking if DELL found the issue.
I actually believe this is a deep hardware problem and the G3 needs a global recall with money back or replacement unit.

January 31st, 2019 00:00

Yo guys, yeah this has been a crazy experience for G3 users and seems Dell doesnt reply back in this thread anymore. They 've gone Birdbox mode on this one now. Even the Dell rep i used to communicate wasnt responding anymore to my DMs. I wonder how Dell handles this G3 issue. CRAZY

4 Posts

January 31st, 2019 02:00

Do we need to share this thread with the world and involve well known Youtubers ?

January 31st, 2019 05:00

haha if we wont be facing any legal issues man, go. I have also with me a recorded video on how this G3 freezes and after i've unplugged the charger it went back normal again and saved it in my dropbox I can share the link in this thread if need be. just give me a headsup  

20 Posts

February 1st, 2019 15:00

Still doin' it.

4 Posts

February 1st, 2019 20:00

Most DELL laptop has a system board problem, restarting and freezing are some thing normal for dell laptop I had the same experience and dell did nothing.

February 3rd, 2019 17:00

still got no community feedback from Dell. have you guys better your G3 situation already? has any guys from Dell from the community gave you most recent feedback?

13 Posts

February 4th, 2019 10:00

It happened again, I had plugged it in, after having it run shortly unplugged, so battery was charging. It didn't happen for a long time, when using it plugged in, and with fully charged battery. I could 'fix' it by closing and reopening the lid.

In my opinion it's something like a sudden power shortage (or overload) for some component, but I don't know anything about electronics. Still, similar symptoms to the ones I saw in a desktop pc with a failing power supply. But here it's not supposed to be 'failing'.

This happened when I was afk, with only browser and text editor open. No CPU/GPU intensive tasks or anything.

I set max CPU usage to 99% as recommended, but I didn't turn off Turbo Boost in the BIOS, but somehow I doubt it can solve the problem.

This is on a G3 17 3779.

Edit: happened again simply during a safe-removal of an USB stick. I would have never expected this kind of things from a brand like Dell. I'm considering this purchase a failure.

No Events found!