Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

July 1st, 2020 03:00

Dell G3 3579 1.12.0 bios update has caused a keyboard issue

I am having to type this with the on screen keyboard. I updated my bios and now my built in keyboard will not work. I saw that getting an external keyboard will help but I have only so much space on my desk (Student desk). On top of that there are a few other issues like stuttering. Another post hasn't had a response from a staff member so I am just hoping one will come to this one. Please someone help or a Dell personnel say whether or not they know of the issue. Thank you for reading.

5 Posts

July 6th, 2020 00:00

I am/was also having this problem as of BIOS 1.12 on my Dell G3 17" model number P35E / P35E003

My wife hadn't applied Windows updates and Dell updates in a long time, so she gave me her laptop for the afternoon to clean it up. One of the updates that came through was the Dell G3 BIOS update to 1.12.

Immediately after I installed BIOS 1.12 the G3 keyboard stopped working and touchpad was laggy, there was extreme lag in Windows 10 in general, and Intel Management Engine errors. I plugged in an external keyboard and mouse and the OS was usable.

I googled a bit and saw people having similar issues and tried a few things:

- downloaded Dell G3 BIOS 1.11-1.7 from support and attempted BIOS downgrade, but every time the downgrade would fail saying some component couldn't be downgraded

- downloaded latest Dell Power Manager Service (good idea anyway). downloaded latest Intel Management Engine Interface Driver (was already latest from the earlier Dell update)

- set Preferred graphics processor to "High-performance NVIDIA processor" in NVIDIA Control Panel->Manage 3D Settings. Also set Power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" (less battery life but more performance). This didn't help the keyboard issue but is good for plugged-in gaming.

In the end I re-downloaded the 1.12 BIOS update from the Dell G3 support page and re-installed it. It looked like there was a component that had a blank previous version, so maybe something got missed during the update.

After the 1.12 re-update everything was normal again. Performance was back to normal and keyboard and touchpad were normal.

Hopefully one of these helps the numerous other people having this problem. I have a Dell G7 with 1060 6GB and had a very similar issue after a BIOS update. Something screwed up the thermal controls and performance was terrible. I did a lot of tuning but i think in the end the Dell Power Manager Service helped that, though thermals are still not great so I'm using a cooling pad most of the time.

edit - I also disabled C-states and speedstepping in the BIOS settings. this initially had the hilarious result of causing the system to suddenly shut down 1 second after hitting a key on the keyboard. after the 1.12 re-update this also went away. I'll turned them back on after.

No Events found!