Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

1 Message

February 7th, 2019 15:00

Dell G3 (3579) High Dpc latency - Acpi.sys 2700ms !!!!!

Hey :) 

i Bought my dell mainley for audio production, but no matter what itried... the laptop cant manage real time audio.. 

also a very common issue with xps lineup..

i sent it to the lab, they checked it and the ddint see any problems.

in latencymon it show around 2700 ms of acpi.sys latency... so it means the laptop no matter what cant manage audio production work.

and it seems that dell doesnt do anything also.

please help someone maybe good advise...

its terriible that expensive laptop cant handle nothing.. my friend have **bleep**ti lenovo i3 thats handle music production way better..

my pc: dell g3 (3579)

cpu: i7 - 8750 h 

gpu: gtx 1060 max q

16 gb ram 2666

480 nvme m.2

1tb hard drive

i updated every driver from dell and intel and nvidia websites..

and also windows..

nothing worked. disable also wifi card and bluethooth and nvidia card nothing...

hopefully dell will see this post and start do somthing, or give me my money back.!!

February 10th, 2019 13:00

I was trying to help you but my big helpful post censored, there is no known solution. Return the laptop if you still can.

1 Message

May 6th, 2019 06:00

Is it a hardware issue?

11 Posts

May 18th, 2019 05:00

Hi

I purchased a new Dell G5 along with a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre, Im finding exactly the same thing, after investigations I came across latency monitor, I'm getting red spikes, reset the machine with just the bare OS, same thing, spikes all over the place, pointing at this dreaded ACPI.sys driver, tested the latency monitor program out on my work laptop which is well under the power of the Dell G5, no spikes.  What will Dell do about this, it's no doubt their BIOS causing the issues.  I'd personally like money back, I've spent a small fortune on this, the Focusrite and Cubase 10 Pro along with plug ins and VST Instruments.  I was running better on a 10 year old laptop with a MOTU and Windows 7.

I'm all out of ideas and of those ideas I've wasted hours using different configurations, along with disabling almost everything in Device Manager, my personal recommendation to people who're after a machine for Music Production is DO NOT buy this.

11 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 14:00

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-7572-ACPI-SYS-latency-issue/m-p/7299383#M53746

Same Happening to me, and a LOT of Dell Laptops. Only XPS has been fixed, other models left for dust. Team have already approached me several times, saying they don´t understand the issue, even though it´s pretty clear, and there was already a XPS team fixing it, but I guess out laptops aren´t as high priority for them as XPS.

Not buying a Dell again, that´s for sure. Unless the team stop doubting, and start fixing.

May 31st, 2019 01:00

Hi,

got g5 and same issue, using both pro tools 10 and cubase 8.5 with komplete audio 6 of native instrument. Anyone found a solution? I tried to deactivate every option of energy saving but acpi.sys still causing the latency problem after few minutes

11 Posts

May 31st, 2019 12:00

Only way around this that I found, which isn't great, is on every new boot, go into Device Manager, drill into System devices, uninstall 'Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager' - Tick the box to remove driver from the system, no need for a reboot, now disable 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery' Not ideal, but works, upon reboot 'Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager' appears, just follow the steps again for when working with Audio

2 Posts

June 4th, 2019 07:00

I too am having the same issues...this does, however fix the latency problem. Does this fix have any detrimental  impact on the laptop?

11 Posts

June 4th, 2019 12:00

Doesn't appear to have any impact, literally kills off the ACPI.sys, which for Audio is a good thing!  Also seems to disable the NVIDIA graphics, but working under Audio, the built in Intel is high enough for rocking Cubase 10 pro.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2019 13:00

Found this on another thread, haven't had a chance to try it out yet though

@RelariisTheParadox You can stop intel thermal framework by removing sys permissions on the driver folders it installs too (basically remove permission for windows updater to install to its driver location). Try this:-

1. switch off wifi / lan - YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CONNECTED TO INTERNET otherwise windows will re-install software while you complete other steps.

2. Goto control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. : 

UNINSTALL "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from Device Manager"

!!DO NOT RESTART LAPTOP!!

3. Now we need to stop windows from automatically installing it again. 

GOTO "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository"

Find Folder "esif_manager.inf_amd64_a75284e9a5c086ed"

Open folder properties -> Security Tab -> Click the Advanced Button.

In the Advanced Security Window DISABLE INHERITANCE and Remove Access Permissions BUT Add yourself as having access (in case you want to undo these changes)

Apply

Go Into The Folder and delete evenring in the folder.

Find Folder "dptf_acpi.inf_amd64_9ae0ce96bc411cd1"

In the Advanced Security Window DISABLE INHERITANCE and Remove Access Permissions BUT Add yourself as having access (in case you want to undo these changes)

Apply

Find Folder "dptf_cpu.inf_amd64_e1adf0f50a965f0c"

In the Advanced Security Window DISABLE INHERITANCE and Remove Access Permissions BUT Add yourself as having access (in case you want to undo these changes)

Apply

4. Switch your wifi/lan back on.

5. Restart Laptop

you should find now that intel thermal framework cannot re-install. You will see in "Windows Update" control panel that it reports that it cannot install it.

ALSO IMPORTANT: You will need to use something like throttlestop to undervolt and keep cpu a little cooler. Without Intel Thermal Framework to trigger throttling if you put cpu under constant stress (video encoding) it will go above 90 degrees easily and when it hits 100 laptop will shutdown.

Cheers

11 Posts

June 4th, 2019 16:00

While it´s nice to see a workaround, what we really need is to Dell to Fix this officialy, without losing Nvidia Graphics, CPU Protections, etc. And for Inspiron and others, there isn´t even an official acknowledgement that this issue exists and is being investigated...

July 16th, 2019 21:00

Hello my friend,

Did you find any solution?

I'm facing the same issue with my brand new Laptop Dell G3. I use it only for DJing.

I bought this one month ago because I saw that it has very good specs but I think it was wrong choice......

So much money was spent... I'm very dissapointed.

Good luck for us!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 17th, 2019 03:00

I have a recording studio (using Cakewalk Sonar and Studio One 4.5 Pro).  I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 5577  gaming laptop (8th gen i5) for off-site recordings.  I couldn't tame the Dell installation and ended up with Latency Mon issues and dropouts in actual recordings. 

The 5577 comes with an M.2 SSD and has space to add a second hard drive or full size SSD.  I had a spare SSD so I installed that and made a dual boot system. I installed Win 10 and only needed device drivers, my recording software and the driver for my MOTU 4pre interface unit.  With Win10 V1809 it was perfect and Latency Mon could run for  30 plus minutes and it was "happy".   I did a 3 hour "live" concert recording and no dropouts.  (I don't do any audio mixing or processing other than recording with the laptop.  The projects are transferred to my desktop for mixing and mastering).

Microsoft introduced V1903 and this caused dropouts and Latency Mon to spike mostly on NTOSKRNL.exe.  There are threads on the tenforums.com and gearslutz.com forum about this.  Microsoft issued KB4501375 for Win 10 V1903 and that fixed the Latency Mon issues and droputs.

1 Message

September 8th, 2019 12:00

hey! I went through with this after ACPI.sys (and a couple other things) were causing me latency issues.

Only problem is - the files you've said to delete aren't there. The folders aren't even there, I get to File Repo and then there are various things with acpi in the name but none like you've said. Any idea what I should go for?

This seems to be working without doing that anyway, currently running ableton (with some fairly heavy processes on) in the background and have had no dropouts. ACPI is running in LatencyMon but not even hitting 2ms. 

1 Message

May 20th, 2020 20:00

fellow DJ here, also dealing with severe latency issues causing my live streams to drop audio. So frustrating. May return the computer. 

1 Message

December 10th, 2023 00:14

Disabling parked cores was the holy grail fix for me with latency issues in Win 11 22H2

How to disable CPU core parking in Windows 11 - Danny Moran

No Events found!