Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

July 9th, 2019 03:00

Dell G5 5587 CPU overheating

Hi, i would love to hear some wisdom from people who share the same problem.
While rendering video's or gaming (mid-range games) my CPU overheats to above 90C and up to 100C!!!!! (i'm using HWMonitor).
Tried to do diagnostics, dell, nvidia updates and everything - didn't help.
Cleaned the fans as much as i could without opening the laptop itself (because  then i'm losing hardware warranty) and added a cooling pad - didn't help either.
I must say that Dell's support in my country didn't help at all.... shame...
If someone solved this problem i would love to hear how you did it!
any help is more then welcome 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 9th, 2019 03:00

Just removing the back to clean it out should not void the warranty.  However, if something is damaged doing the cleaning then that could void the warranty.  I have a 5577 gaming laptop and removed the back to install a larger M.2 SSD and it didn't void my warranty.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 9th, 2019 05:00

pave156,

Just to confirm Fireberd's response. "Removing the back to clean it out should not void the warranty.  However, if something is damaged doing the cleaning then that could void the warranty". The computers temperature is within specs.

If you have not updated the system bios you can click below to download the latest version.

Dell G5 5587 Drivers

The installation information is listed at the bottom of the driver page.

42 Posts

July 10th, 2019 00:00

Hey, I had same problem. (This is my answer to same problem in diffrent post) This model throttles. Thermal and power limit throttling. I have the same laptop (i5-8300h) and same issues (every person which bought G5/G7 have it). You can't (or at least I couldn't) get rid of throttling in this laptop, you CAN make it bit better though. I recommend UnderVolting CPU and GPU - it makes system more stable. Throttling, in a nutshell, is droping Frequency (cpu or gpu) which translates to drops in FPS - it is caused by two things in this laphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt9L3BWOFo&t=1s" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer nofollow ugc noopener noreferrer">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt9L3BWOFo&t=1s is a step by step instruction to undervolting cpu. And here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pc2NksX94E is undervolting dell 7577 (esentially the same as g5 but on 7700hq). just to be clear - proper undervolting won't lower your cpu performacne! Imagine: your cpu works for example on 1,3V core voltage and it is getting too hot. By doing UV you are searching how much can you lower core voltege to sustain 100% performacne of your cpu. It is obvious that higher voltage input causes higher thermal output, so by lowering voltage input you are lowering thermal output without losing performacne. Easy. Gpu Undervolting is a bit more difficult but not so much. What I did, was to find out when my GPU lacked power, at what core frequency, and then to check how much power it needed before it power throttled. For example, my gpu power throttled at 1600MHz at 0,8V. So I manually set Voltage 0,8V max. That way GPU won't try to take more Voltage than 0,8V and this voltage translates to 1600MHz so my max GPU performance. Now few companies (i.e. Acer with Predator line) UnderVolts 9gen cpus by default so belive me - It is worth doing. In our "great" laptop it is a must.

42 Posts

July 10th, 2019 00:00

@ have no idea why my edit on text resets...

No Events found!