Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2021 14:00

Dell G5 5590 - Low FPS when gaming

*Apologies if this is the wrong board. I could not locate a G5 board. Mods please move if needed*

Hello,

I recently (approx. 4 months ago) purchased my daughter the G5 5590 laptop as a gift to play World of Warcraft.

She had been playing the game fine (on high to ultra graphics settings), with an average of 60 fps or more until recently. I am not sure if an update broke something, but World of Warcraft and a few other games are nearly unplayable now due to fps issues. The game immediately throttles down to about 5 fps within about 5 seconds of logging-in. I tried lowering all graphic settings to the minimum, but the fps still remains low at 5 fps. She also plays Magic the Gathering: Arena, which is also practically unplayable due to what appears to be the same fps-type issue. I have tested the same games on our home desktop (Imac), and it runs the games with no issues.

I checked the internet speed (Comcast Xfinity) via the Ookla speedtest app, and the speeds seem to be fine at approx. 900Mbps d/l and 18Mbps u/l.

While searching for how to solve the problem I located a website that instructed to run DxDiag.

When I did so I received an error message on the "Display" tab that indicated: "There is a problem with Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 39' "

I am not sure if this error has something to do with the issues she is having, nor how to fix the error, but I was hoping someone here might have some advice. System specs are below. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Device name DESKTOP-7Q4H72F
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Display Adapter - Intel((R) UHD Graphics 630, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎4/‎1/‎2021
OS build 19042.928
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

April 17th, 2021 23:00

Hi @Buckpinne  as it is seemingly an Intel driver problem, try Intel Driver & Support Assistant. This will identify your Intel products and get driver and software updates for most of your Intel hardware. 

If the OS(C:) drive has file problems, use Check Disk to find and fix any errors. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

April 17th, 2021 14:00

Hi @Buckpinne  welcome to this user to user discussion forum. This is not Dell Support. 

Please check that Dell SupportAssist has been installed and is the current version. 

Check that all Windows Update drivers have been installed. Check that all Dell Support for Dell G5 15 5590 Drivers & Downloads updates have been installed by clicking on [Check for Updates] box on RH side. 

At Splash screen, hold down F12 key, when boot window appears, select and run all (ePSA) Diagnostics tests, when tests finish, click on bottom RH corner to open the test results. If ePSA also says "There is a problem with Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 device" save test results, contact Dell Product Support and request they raise fault ticket so they know there is a problem and will activate your Dell warranty support. Tell them you can provide copy of ePSA Diagnostics and DxDiag test results and ask them to include these in your fault ticket. They will tell you how to send test results. 

Please click on Kudos to say thank you for response from another user. Please share an update on progress, so that other users derive benefit from your experience. Thank you. 

3 Posts

April 17th, 2021 20:00

Thank You!

3 Posts

April 18th, 2021 17:00

Crimsom, thank you so much for this!!!

We downloaded the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, and there were 3 updates needed for the Intel Devices and Drivers. These updates were not reflected on the Dell SupportAssist app, nor the Windows Update search, so we thank you for pointing us to this page, otherwise we are not sure we ever would have known these updates were needed. We have been in touch with Dell Support, but all the diagnostics we ran so far did not appear to point to any specific culprit. 

Once these updates were installed and we restarted, we are now able to run these games (World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Magic the Gathering: Arena) with a constant 60fps or more.

We'll update Dell Support to let them know the issue is resolved.

My daughter and I both thank you for your help!

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

April 18th, 2021 18:00

Hi @Buckpinne  thank you for sharing update. Very pleased that this problem resolved. I do not work for Dell and volunteer my free time. It is good to get incentive to continue with my endeavours. Thank you. 

No Events found!