Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

2 Posts

November 7th, 2019 07:00

Dell G7 15 7588 keyboard some keys not working

I have a Dell G7 15 7588 that I bought at Best Buy back in 2018 and is now out of warranty. The keyboard was working fine until a couple weeks ago, when I started noticing that the G, H, escape, ctrl and up and down arrows and a couple other keys such as the numpad weren't responding at all, which is a real problem.

At first I thought it might just be a software problem so I rebooted and I noticed that the same problem occured in the BIOS (I have a password set in the BIOS, which it asks me everytime the computer turns on, before any OS actually boots up). To recap, it happens in Windows 10, Fedora 30 and the BIOS settings and password prompt, so I am pretty sure it's a hardware problem. I also tried rolling back the BIOS version and updating it again, but nothing worked. The keys come back sometimes after taking my laptop back home after a day of work, which leads me to believe that it is just a loose connector.

Is there any way to get to that keyboard connector and reseat it without taking out the entire display assembly?

Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 7th, 2019 08:00

Below is the link to the Dell Service Manual.  It details how to replace the keyboard (which would entail unplugging).  If reseating the connection doesn't help the keyboard is likely intermittent and will have to be replaced.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/g-series-15-7588-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

2 Posts

November 8th, 2019 12:00

Ok I just took it apart and unplugged the cable labeled "KB" right besides the battery then plugged it back in and the problem is still there, I also tried pressing on it while the computer was on to see if the problem came from the connector or the rest of the keyboard but it seems that the keyboard is "intermittent" and needs to be replaced. I am ordering a replacement keyboard from amazon right now.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 8th, 2019 14:00

I had an ACER laptop about 6 years ago.  The keyboard went flakey right after the warranty expired.  I had to replace it myself.  ACER doesn't have the explicit service manuals like Dell does and I had a time figuring out what had to be disassembled and how to replace the keyboard.

3 Posts

July 5th, 2022 09:00

Same problem with the exactly same keys and I also have problems with the bluetooth. Never again I'll buy a Dell Laptop. 

December 28th, 2022 13:00

Same issue (specifically with the shift keys) 

I replaced the keyboard previously (approx. 8 months ago) and the left shift key is already starting to develop issues - so this would be my 2nd keyboard replacement - not cool Dell. 

I'm pretty sure they just sold this as "consumer electronics" with no real attention to quality or QA

1 Message

February 4th, 2023 09:00

I have the same problem, I'm disappointed in a dell laptop : (

• 

16.7K Posts

October 31st, 2023 13:53

BladeMuse,

Have you contacted Dell to have the keyboard replaced? If not, To receive assistance from Dell chat support, they need to verify the warranty status and ownership. Then you must troubleshoot with them.  Click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. If already out of warranty, click here for the Dell out of warranty offering.

No Events found!