Symptom Information is not applicable.
Cause Information is not applicable.
Some of the steps and available procedures regarding repair may vary depending on the country or region and support region. Check your available warranty and status of your computer warranty before using this guide.
You can check your current warranty status online on the Dell Support website. See Dell knowledge-base article How to Find Warranty Status and Information for info on checking your computer warranty. If the warranty has expired, you have a couple of options available for future support.
- Extended Warranty: Your warranty can be extended online, see Dell knowledge-base article How to Find Warranty Status and Information.
- Accidental Damage (Complete Care) Service covers repair and replacement for computer damage that is not covered under your base warranty. You can check your warranty cover status on the Dell Support Website.
Out of warranty repair process:
- Computer failure or issue identified.
- Check warranty status on the Dell support site (see How do I check my warranty status? Section above).
- If out of warranty, contact Dell Technical Support.
- The technician diagnoses the fault over the phone and provide a quote if requested. (see Chargeable Repair section below.)
- If you are looking to proceed with quote, reply to the quote acknowledging your acceptance.
- Payment method processed.
- Repair call booked on acceptance of payment.
On contacting Dell to arrange a repair that you will be asked for the below information before a quote can be arranged.
- Service Tag or Express Service Code of the damaged computer.
- Contact Information (Such as name, telephone, email address).
- Description of the damage. (includes images of the damage when applicable)
- Billing Address.
- Shipping Address - (Parts or Engineer Service).
Have your Customer Number available as this will helps to identify the correct account to bill to if your company has multiple open accounts with Dell.
(Customer numbers usually start with country or region code and then numerical value for example: GBXXXXXXX for the UK)
The customer number can be found on your Dell invoice or by contacting your Account Manager.
Cause of failure examples: (Damage)
- Liquid Spillage
- Drops, Falls, and other collisions
- Electrical Surge
- Fire Damage
- Cracks, dents, or bent components
The technical support representative advises the most cost effective solution for repair. This can sometimes include Collect and Return services if available in your location. This can often be the best repair option for liquid damage or cases where multiple parts may be required and the full extent of damage cannot easily be diagnosed.
NOTE: Collect and Return Service (CAR): This is a process whereby the computer is collected and taken offsite for diagnosis, repair, and testing before being returned to the customer.
This service may not be available in some countries or warranty offerings, check with your local support for more information.
- What if my company has a credit account with Dell?
If you have a valid credit account with Dell, we can accept payment using a Purchase Order reference (PO). We can then use this as acceptance from you or your business that you are happy for your companies credit account to be debited for the repair amount.
- Can I reinstate my expired warranty?
Yes, you can add further warranty to an out of warranty computer. You may be charged a reinstatement fee, also the warranty may be backdated to the end of the expiration date of the previous warranty period depending on the age of the computer and warranty length.
- What if the service does not require any physical parts?
The option of paying a fee for technical support without parts is available for issues such as BIOS password resets, part number queries, and so on. If the same issue is reported within 30 days no further charge will be requested.
- Can I pay for repair by check or BACS/Wire transfer?
The Repair Quote includes instructions on how to pay by checks (although this can delay the repair process).
- What if I purchased my computer through a reseller?
If the computer was purchased through a reseller, you must confirm ownership of the computer before any repair can be arranged. Also be cautious that the correct account is being billed and not the company that sold the computer to you.
If you require further assistance, contact Technical Support.
Out of warranty? No problem. Browse to the Dell.com/support website and enter your Dell Service Tag and view our offers.
NOTE: Offers are only available for US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, China, and Japan personal computer customers. Server and Storage not applicable.
How to Check Warranty Details Online
When available, closed caption (subtitles) language settings can be chosen using the Settings or CC icon on this video player.
Here are some recommended articles related to this topic that might be of interest to you.