Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2019 21:00

Dell G7 7790 BIOS Update 1.5.1 Broke My Machine

Updated my G7 laptop today to bios 1.5.1 and now many games when I play the GPU randomly spikes and stays spiked at 100% usage and my fps drops down to like 5fps or less for like a minute, then suddenly goes back to normal for a few minutes.  I didn't install any other updates than that and I also did a system restore just in case to yesterday when things were perfect and didn't fix it so I think it's gotta be the BIOS update.  I also did a clean install of the GeForce drivers and didn't make a difference.  Bad thing is there's no reverting back to the old one, even the auto recovery doesn't work.  What do I do!?  I just got this and now it's pretty much unusable to play games!

*edit - I ended up getting Dell to refund me and bought something else.  Even after the 1.6.0 BIOS came out it didn't fix it, it made it lesser of an issue in that the fps dropped to like 20fps instead of 5, but it still was an issue in any game I played.  

12 Posts

June 1st, 2019 02:00

I talked with them on 05/23 and they asked for the motherboard on 05/27. I think that was the day that Dell removed the 1.5.1 bios version from the site. Now I have to wait. I do not think that they are going to provide motherboards with a bios that is no working correctly

9 Posts

June 1st, 2019 06:00

But I still thought whether I should be updated or not. All the same, I decided that Dell would not advise the bad and was updated ... OMG as I was mistaken ...

3 Posts

June 3rd, 2019 08:00

I have same problem when updated bios 1.5.1

73 Posts

June 3rd, 2019 10:00

OK I'm done, shipping it off with a note, screw Dell.  They cancelled the call today, I had to undo my **bleep** at home and bring in my laptop yet again only for them to push it off to tomorrow.  Told them I need a refund immediately, I'm tweeting to the VP of Alienware and CEO of Dell and regardless if I get a refund or not I'm sending it back in the morning and buying a Lenovo, I told them I'm done!

I wish I could do that, but I fully paid the laptop...I need to get a refund approval before I send it.

However, I was also escalated the level 3 team and they schedule to return me tomorrow.

Let's see how this goes.

73 Posts

@Fernando B9 wrote:

I wish I could do that, but I fully paid the laptop...I need to get a refund approval before I send it.

However, I was also escalated the level 3 team and they schedule to return me tomorrow.

Let's see how this goes.

Ya that's where mine was at when they called almost a week later and the solution to try from level 3 was reset bios defaults lol.  Like I hadn't already tried that on day 1!?  I get that most people they deal with are standard Joe Users but when I come out the gate from the getgo telling them I'm not and all I've tried then don't come back to me a week later with day 1 solutions to try.  

73 Posts

June 4th, 2019 09:00

Got my 4th call, started off by asking me to verify my problem as having slowdown problems playing Rage 2. No! Had to re-explain that EVERY game I play it will randomly drop to 5fps while the CPU drops to like 2% usage and GPU stays at 100% . Also explained that I've noticed it during non-gaming too, there's been a couple times just browsing the web or whatever and **bleep** gets mega slow for a while, I see the mouse jumping around or window skipping frames if I drag it around etc. Asked if I tried reinstalling Windows. Yes are you deaf and blind I even stated that on the last call and it should be in my ticket!?!! He pulled up Geforce experience and checked the driver date which is pointless, it does it on the default drivers installed on the Dell image that it came with, the newest ones, or on a fresh Win10 install so no need to check any of that, it's not a software/driver issue! He disabled my onboard video and asked me to try playing a game again, advised I can't as I'm at work and didn't bring the laptop in today as I'm tired of **bleep**ing doing that as it's too big to fit in any bag so I have to carry it by hand and it's annoying, I'm done doing that. I guess I'll have to play tonight to prove that isn't going to do **bleep**. Told him before I hung up I'm giving them till Friday then I'm packing it up and shipping back and not paying for it.

73 Posts

June 4th, 2019 18:00

@Tenghc wrote:

any news on how it went? when they replaced my motherboard the new one wouldnt charge using the powerbrick it came with. this happened twice but works with the original motherboard. I am ruling out hardware issue so it has to be software. 

Ya evidently you cannot disable the Intel GPU and play games as it also makes the system think the nVidia GPU is missing, I googled it later and found an explanation as to why so they are just buying time at this point with pointless things to try.  I replied back to the Twitter guy I've been talking to and he said the same "give our product team 1 - 2 days to get back to you" which is the same answer I've been getting in emails for a week or so now.  Getting ridiculous!

2 Posts

June 4th, 2019 18:00

any news on how it went? when they replaced my motherboard the new one wouldnt charge using the powerbrick it came with. this happened twice but works with the original motherboard. I am ruling out hardware issue so it has to be software. 

June 5th, 2019 12:00

Power limit throttling, that's what the problem is. I already replied to your Reddit thread here and provided a few tips.

73 Posts

June 5th, 2019 14:00

@ConfyScenty wrote:

Power limit throttling, that's what the problem is. I already replied to your Reddit thread here and provided a few tips.

Not sure which one you were but I either tried every option presented already before posting, after posting, or some didn't pertain.  I'm not getting any CPU throttling when this occurs my CPU stays at 3.9Ghz the entire time and doesn't seem like a heat issue either as I can play a game that stays really cool like Duck Season VR or even MK11 and the temps are great and it happens.  

73 Posts

June 6th, 2019 07:00

Got this email just now:

We have identified the issue caused by BIOS 1.5.1 , Hence our product group is working on a newer version of BIOS 1.6.0 to fix the issue .We greatly appreciate your time and patience in working with us to help you get the issue fixed .

Hopefully it comes very soon and actually makes it as good as before.  I will give them the time to put this out and if for some reason it doesn't fix it I'm 100% instantly just sending it back to them.  I just hope it doesn't take 1.5 months to come out as I did research on a bad BIOS that was put out for the last gen G7 and it took 6 weeks for them to fix that one.  

10 Posts

June 6th, 2019 09:00

Finally some good news!

June 6th, 2019 11:00

That's good! Let's wait now...(not much I hope).

June 7th, 2019 11:00

Got my call back, same thing. They will release a new BIOS.

However, they told me that it would be released on June 8th, so tomorrow. I will post as soon as I test it.

No Events found!