Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

6 Posts

December 19th, 2018 13:00

Dell Update says "critical upate" but will not install...

when running Dell Update on my 7786, it will always find a critical update but will never complete the installation. The update is "Support Assist OS Recovery tools."  It will beging the installation process, and say "installation complete" yet right next to the green check mark says "0 of 1 successful".

Running the Support Assist app will not see any updates are available, and will  complete the various scans/tests etc. Should I just disregard the Dell Update app?  or do I need to run both apps to kept up to date??

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 20th, 2018 03:00

Hi rhsortho, 

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your SupportAssist is having difficulties.  

There is a new version of SupportAssist available, so one suggestion is to remove SupportAssist from your computer.  There may be several versions running, so you will need to remove those as well.  Sometimes a third party software removal tool is helpful to get them all.  Then reinstall SA.  

If that's too much trouble you could choose to ignore the popup.

There is a SupportAssist Forum board with Dell team members there who may be able to assist further.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

6 Posts

December 20th, 2018 13:00

thank you for the reply. I will look up and pass along the service tag number when I'm back on that machine. 

the Support Assist I believe is the latest, but anyway that will run all the scans/test and won't report any issues found. however it's the Dell Update app that keeps finding that critical update.  it goes through the download/install process, then says complete yet states "0 of 1 successful".  

it's just a minor annoyance (unless the OS recovery tools" update is needed).

anyway, thatnks again. I will look up my service tag info and forward as requested.

1 Message

April 5th, 2019 08:00

Are there any updated solutions to this problem?  I believe I have the latest S.A. tool, and tried running it through another Dell Update tool.  This particular update is "Version 1846.12.0.1177"

This is not a warranty issue!  This is a problem of Dell's doing and support should be offered to those customers who are wasting hours trying to do a basic update with no success.

This is a very poor reflection on Dell.  I'm sure those of us wasting our time and not receiving fair treatment by Dell on relatively new computers (15 months), will not be inclined to buy anything Dell in the future.

Any other suggestions?

Steve de la Torre

5 Posts

April 5th, 2019 20:00

Thanks for a good advice, I've had a kind of this problem so I just reinstalled SupportAssist too - anf it works perfectly! 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 06:00

The 2019 version is

Dell SupportAssist Client 3.2.0.90
https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/Catalog/SupportAssistInstaller.exe

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln316857/dsa-2019-051-dell-supportassist-client-multiple-vulnerabilities?lang=en

DSA Identifier: DSA-2019-051

CVE Identifier: CVE-2019-3718, CVE-2019-3719

Severity: High

Severity Rating: CVSS Base Score: See below for NVD Scores

Affected products: Dell SupportAssist Client versions prior to 3.2.0.90.

Summary :  Dell SupportAssist Client has been updated to address multiple vulnerabilities which may be potentially exploited to compromise the system.

Details :  Improper Origin Validation (CVE-2019-3718)

Dell SupportAssist Client versions prior to 3.2.0.90 contain an improper origin validation vulnerability. An unauthenticated remote attacker could potentially exploit this vulnerability to attempt CSRF attacks on users of the impacted systems.

CVSSv3 Base Score: 7.6 (AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:L/I:L/A:H)

Remote Code Execution Vulnerability (CVE-2019-3719)

Dell SupportAssist Client versions prior to 3.2.0.90 contain a remote code execution vulnerability. An unauthenticated attacker, sharing the network access layer with the vulnerable system, can compromise the vulnerable system by tricking a victim user into downloading and executing arbitrary executables via SupportAssist client from attacker hosted sites.

CVSSv3 Base Score: 7.1 (AV:A/AC:H/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H)

Resolution:

The following Dell SupportAssist Client release contains resolutions to these vulnerabilities:

• Dell SupportAssist Client version 3.2.0.90 and later.

Dell recommends all customers upgrade at the earliest opportunity.

1 Message

June 6th, 2019 07:00

I have the same problem. The amount of time spent on this is way too much for the money I paid for this laptop. And the arrogant response from Dell makes me never want to buy any Dell products again. I literally cannot update my laptop. The Dell app is completely useless, says error and that's it. And then their employees on this forum tell you you should now pay for support to get their bugs fixed. Funny guys .... that's not how the world works people.

While reinstalling the supportassistant app it fails silently. Then I restarted my computer and then it works. But who writes production environment apps who exit silently without even giving user a reason? I have been a dev for 15 years, in any company for which I had worked a dev like this would have been layed off instantly. This is like A in the alphabet. What kind of quality of software are you delivering here. 

I am really sorry for my outburst but I just feel like I should not have been subjected to such a low quality of your software. Crashing without errors while updating, crashing without errors while reinstalling.

*UPDATE: after manually removing and then reinstalling the SupportAssistant app now I can confirm that the error goes away

2 Posts

June 18th, 2019 08:00

I have a new Dell laptop with the same problem with the critical support tools update not installing. I can see how to uninstall support tools in the control panel but how do I reinstall it.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2019 06:00

As an update to my post, I have now uninstalled support assistance and then reinstalled it and the critical update still fails to load. What is this all about. Why are Dell pushing out updates which fail to load. How is this going to be resolved ?

1 Message

July 9th, 2019 22:00

I had the exact same problem with my Inspiron 7472, and I was really annoyed. I uninstalled both apps, SupportAssistant as well as Dell Update. And them reinstalled the latest versions of both of them. It's finally showing everything is updated.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2019 05:00

I have version 3.2.2.119 and still have this annoying issue

1 Message

August 31st, 2019 08:00

It's now the end of August 2019 and this problem is still annoying Dell customers. 0 og 1 successfull critical updates innstalls on my early summer 13" XPS laptop...

October 17th, 2019 20:00

Same with me, know why yet?

1 Message

December 15th, 2019 12:00

I am among those who cannot install the "critical" update. I don't know what a service tag is. My computer is only 3 months old and is under warrantee. I had a computer tech set it up for me because I am not computer savvy enought to do it. At $100+/ hour to do the things you advise (and I wouldn't dare try on my own) is something I can't do. This is a Dell issue that should be resolved by you for me.

Let me know.

Stephen Brenner (Tata.NH)

1 Message

July 19th, 2021 03:00

This terrible. DEll is holding their own customers to randsome - if you don't pay for extra warranty cover, you cannot update your system, you cannot do basic drivers updates.

No Events found!