Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

9 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 14:00

Dell adapter not detected. Plugged in, not charging.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 i3543 which I bought 2.5 years ago. Now I get this error whenever I start the laptop:

"The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.

The battery may not charge.

The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.

Please connect a Dell 65 W adapter or greater for the best system performance.

Strike the F3 key (before F1 or F2 key) if you do not want to see power warning message again.

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

I am using the original battery and 65W adapter that came with the laptop. The laptop works with the adapter and with the battery, the only problem is the adapter won't charge the battery. Both the battery and adapter are working fine. My brother has the same laptop, and I charged my battery with my adapter on his laptop and it charged normally.

I have done a BIOS update and tried the steps outlined here. Neither of them solved the problem.

In the BIOS the status of my adapter is "unknown".

What can I do?

2 Posts

March 26th, 2019 15:00

Long story short....this is a Dell issue. They don't have a true fix for this, nor are any of their "diagnostics," either through BIOS, or Windows software, reliable.

They will not admit to it, but it is a design flaw with no accurate diagnosis, nor repeatable fix. It's a cr@p shoot. A new adapter might work, a new battery might work, neither may work.

They can't come out and say this for obvious reasons, but if you can tolerate less than great battery life/performance, I wouldn't spend too much time on it. You're not guaranteed a fix even if you follow all their instructions and buy new components.

You can't fix poor base design.

2 Posts

March 31st, 2019 08:00

Encountered same problem bro! Did all things suggested by dell, search the web seriously, asked for tech assistance still same problem. It's a fixed firmware problem that even Dell cant solved. Will never buy dell again. Waste of money.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2019 12:00

I had the same problem last month, also did the same thing and it worked...after getting the new Win 10 1803 update, the problem showed up again, but today I tried the "driver" fix with no results...still not charging....anyone else with the same issue?

3 Posts

April 17th, 2019 15:00

I have had this problem for nearly a year ( Inspiron 17 7377) and Dell has never had any solution to fix it. They replaced every component except the HD and it still failed. Front line customer support was worthless (although to be fair, their warranty service is far superior) and some of the solutions, including that from CNET, were an utter failure.... until I noticed a connection between the BIOS update from Dell 5/2018 (A16) and the detection problem. After attempting to troubleshoot the BIOS, I found that, at least on my system, if I reboot, start system settings (press F12 as soon as PC starts) and run the BIOS diagnostics, after it is completed: Viola', it recognizes the AC adapter. It takes about 5-6 minutes to complete the basic tests - no need for the expansive memory tests- and this solution has worked without fail every time. I brought this to the attention of Dell support, but since I'm out of warranty, they asked my to send the laptop to them for "7-10 days for diagnostic testing". Again, as someone mentioned this is a Dell problem, and most likely with their BIOS.

1 Message

May 1st, 2019 08:00

I have 2 laptops (XPS 12 and Inspiron 13 7000)with the same problem, unknown adapter, plugged in but not charging. Regardless of the power brick use, same message from both. Run all steps, nothing, used an cable adapter from thick to thin plug and used a bigger adapter from an Inspiron 11 3000 that works like a charm on the 11 and nothing. However if the battery is fully drained the laptop is charging. I agree with the comment above that the problem is with the BIOS as I am able to charge with battery drained when nothing is loading but as soon as BIOS is loaded the adapter shows as unknown. Having this any troubleshooting steps in Windows are useless. What I want to know is why this is happening with the expensive machines while the cheapo one runs like a charm???

3 Posts

May 1st, 2019 14:00

Which one?

1 Message

June 28th, 2019 13:00

Hello to everyone, I was trying dozens of solutions suggested by different sources, but later found this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5s9guCcRmw

It solved my problem 100%. Computer as new :) The fix is very easy at least for DELL Inspiron 7348, but I believe it will be the same easy on other models as well.

This is a pure cable design issue! Hopefully, it will help you to solve the issue as well. Good luck :)

1 Message

September 2nd, 2019 11:00

Had that problem intermittently with my Dell Vostro lap top. Got steadily worse. Geek Squad very helpful, ruled out the battery and said "get new Dell charger". Before spending money, being Dutch I tried my home remedy first. Sprayed contact cleaner into outlet plug of charger and inserted still wet plug into computer charge inlet. Voila it now works great.

November 9th, 2019 11:00

Guys definitely give this a try, nothing else worked for me but this did. THANK YOU

1 Message

November 9th, 2019 13:00

What is it that you did to get it to work, I’ve tried everything abs I’m pulling my hair out trying to fix this. This problem seemed to start after I updated to windows 10 but it’s been almost a year if this and it’s irritating. 

4 Posts

November 19th, 2019 03:00

You *can* try the deleting of the Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery *but* note that the usual step also involves unplugging adapter from laptop. ----> The unplug / replug is what actually has potential to get you back to a charging state and avoid the Error msg at startup. I suggest that you  S L O W L Y   plug the adapter into laptop. It could take several times to get it to re-seat properly.  Wait up to a minute for your battery icon to reflect the "plugged in and charging".  My Inspiron has a faceted plug.. I sometimes rotate it for a better fit. This method (of slowly plugging in) works for me 100% of the time.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 19th, 2019 03:00

2 Posts

November 19th, 2019 13:00

It is not worth playing with drivers. It is just Dell having it's arms growing from their arses and not able to create a proper charging connector.

Problem is that the center pin in these connectors which kind of tells laptop that the charger is original Dell's charger is . When the center pin does not connect laptop thinks that charger is not original and decides not to charge.

Try wiggling the connector and call a Dell and request a replacement.

At least this is the case on Dell Lattitude 3540.

1 Message

December 6th, 2019 11:00

I have had this issue with my Inspiron 15 7000.  I bought new batter/ac and still the same.  I couldn't update the bios as I only had 6% battery.  After following all the battery in/out suggestions I finally turned my attention to the ac jack.  I opened the back of my lap top and was going to try to open the jack casing but the screws wouldn't turn.  So I just straightened out the cable coming from the jack going to the motherboard a bit and sort of pushed it a bit towards the jack casing.  Put everything back together and ready to admit defeat and only use the laptop with power I had one more try and hey presto; it started to charge!  So might be worth trying the same if you have tried all the other suggestions (and before you update the bios).

December 20th, 2019 19:00

If your laptop has a USB-C slot you can charge it with a usb-c charger. It's working for me. Like you, and many others it seems., I've had nothing but trouble with charging issues and my laptop is only 18 months old. Never buying a Dell after this either.  Hope it works for you.

No Events found!