Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 10th, 2018 06:00

Dell inspiron 15 7559 battery goes from 100% to 6% after a few minutes away from AC adapter

I have the dell inspiron 15 7559 and recently the charging cable that dell shipped had frayed to the point that I had to buy a new one, I bought this one (dell ones are 90$ was looking for cheaper alternative, it was advertised as 130W but was actually 90W but it should have still worked). At first it charged fine but after 2 weeks the battery said not charging and the battery wouldn't go up or down when plugged in. I finally ordered the dell charger and continued to use the cheaper one until it arrived. 

The current dell charger works correctly, but when I unplug it after 1-2 minutes the power will decrease from >95% to 6% (I have been playing games at the time if that is relevant). I then plug it in and it charges back to 100% in 30 seconds (it does not increase over time it is in an instant) I have BatteryBar and it says battery wear is at 32.4%. 

My questions are:

- Does the problem lie with the battery?

- Are there any fixes I can do for the battery?

- Do I need a new battery, and if so where will the specs for it be?

- Will this leave any damage to the computer?

Thank you for your time

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 10th, 2018 17:00

Or....

You may drain the residual power of the computer and re-calibrate the battery by following the steps in link below. 

System battery shows "plugged in not charging" when you ...

If calibrating the battery doesn't make any difference, I suggest you purchase a new battery from the link below.

Parts-People.com 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 10th, 2018 10:00

" I then plug it in and it charges back to 100% in 30 seconds (it does not increase over time it is in an instant) "

:BigSmile:

Charging the battery from 6% to 100% in 30 second doesn't sound correct unless the battery life cycle is nearing it's end. How old is the battery or system? You ran diagnostic to check the battery? If no, please follow the steps below.

1. Power on the system, quickly start tapping F12 key until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen.

2. In the Pre-boot menu, select Diagnostic. After quick tests finished, select Primary Battery and then click on Thorough Test Mode . Report back any error code.

2 Posts

March 10th, 2018 16:00

The diagnostics ran and said that the battery is nearing the end of its life at 59% battery health. I will be buying a new battery. Was this caused by the non-dell AC adapter or was it a matter of course (I have had the computer for 1 year and 4 months) and will it be safe to continue to use it for some time (a week or more)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 10th, 2018 16:00

Dell says in the link below, all rechargeable batteries wear out with time and usage. As time and cumulative use increase, the performance will degrade. For the typical user, noticeable reduction in run time generally will be observed after 18 to 24 months. For a power user, reduction in run time generally may be experienced prior to 18 months. 

Laptop Battery FAQ | Dell US

I like to suggest calibrating the battery and retest the battery in diagnostic to see if it will make any difference. Please follow steps in link below to calibrate battery.

How to Calibrate Your Laptop’s Battery for Accurate Battery Life Estimates

October 26th, 2021 01:00

Hi, I propably have the same problem. I go directly to page you Parts-People.com  but unfortunatly they don't have battery to my model. Where else could I search ?

No Events found!