Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

May 26th, 2019 10:00

Errors in copying files to a USB or SD port

I have a Dell Laptop with 3 USB ports and on SD card port. I have 16 GB, 32GB and 64GB devices. When I try to back up my internal files to one of these ports I get an error message. It tells me that the USB or SD card needs to be fixed. When I do manage to copy the files, I find that most of the files are missing (although the empty folder is still there).

I use the tool to fix the port but keep getting the same message. It happens on all of the ports. I used the Support Assist app, running the full tests with nothing found wrong in hardware or software.

The computer itself has a very low usage of the hard drive (about 20%).

5.6K Posts

May 26th, 2019 11:00

For SD cards, it is recommended to use https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

As for USB flash drives, the problem is usually with bad drives. It happens. I am on my 3rd one of PNY 128 GB  USB3 flash drive. It does not work reliably. I don't put any important information on it. Just use it for quick copy from one PC to another. Would not use it as backup.

June 3rd, 2019 19:00

I did find the format tool but it didn't change anything. If it were just a few devices (and or usb) that had the problem l might think it was bad devices. However I have 4 USB drives and 6 SD cards. All of them mis perform the same.

It is really bizarre to watch 2 GB of data copied to a device-including the long time to do so just disappear. I could watch file names that I know being copied. Only to see an empty folder.

No Events found!