Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

May 29th, 2020 07:00

File Explorer will not resize without crashing

Inspiron 3780, Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.  SupportAssist says everything is up to date.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 29th, 2020 08:00

@Jeff9999  Given that there aren't mass reports of this that one might expect if this were a driver or Windows bug, my guess is that this is being triggered by an application you installed that loaded a Windows shell extension.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 29th, 2020 11:00

@Jeff9999  What was the exact update?

6 Posts

May 29th, 2020 11:00

This only started recently, shortly after loading the latest Dell update.  Other than the Dell update, my last software install was at least six months ago.

6 Posts

May 29th, 2020 12:00

How would I find that?  I can't locate an Update History anywhere in the Dell app/website.

Jeff Richman.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 29th, 2020 14:00

@Jeff9999  Wow, you're right.  I could've sworn there was an update history in SupportAssist and Dell Update, but checking a system I have here with Dell Update installed, there isn't.  The closest you might be able to come here would be to check support.dell.com to see what updates were released for your system lately, but that's obviously more tedious.  On a related note though, any chance Windows Update installed anything recently?  That definitely has an update history available, as well as a mechanism for uninstalling updates.

6 Posts

May 29th, 2020 14:00

I didn't get any notification of a recent Windows update that I recall.

Looked at View Update History, but can't find any way to print a copy.  Help was automated and totally unhelpful.

Jeff9999_0-1590788464930.png

Here's a printscreen.  Hope you can read it.

Jeffrey Richman.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 31st, 2020 15:00

@Jeff9999  Sorry for the late reply, but uploaded images are initially only visible to the person who posted them and to Dell moderators until they get approved for public viewing, and I only now came back to see that yours is now visible to me.

Nothing out of the ordinary there.  I suppose it could be a bug introduced by a regular monthly Windows update -- there's certainly been no shortage of those -- but the part that jumps out most at me is that you're still on Windows 10 1809, apparently because one or more previous attempts to update to 1903 failed -- but since then Windows 10 1909 has been released, and Windows 10 2004 has just now started to roll out.  Apart from Windows systems specifically using a "Long Term Servicing Channel" release, which is only available to people with volume licensing agreements (e.g. enterprises), Microsoft only continues to provide updates for the current and 2 previous releases of Windows 10.  So now that Windows 10 2004 has started rolling out, your Windows 10 1809 release won't be supported with updates anymore.  So I'd look into why you can't seem to install a newer release, particularly as updating to a new release might also resolve this issue.

If you want to try a Windows 10 update manually outside of Windows Update, go here and download the updater.  At the very least you might get a more descriptive error message.

6 Posts

June 1st, 2020 06:00

I had pretty much resolved to just live with it, i.e., use file manager only as full sized windows, since the Dell Support Chat had progressed to the point where they were recommending a full Windows re-install.  This morning when I booted up my laptop, however, the problem has miraculously healed itself and the file manager windows are working correctly.  I assume that some update must have occured behind the scenes, without announcing that it was happening, and that is what cured the problem.

Thank you for your attention and efforts to help me.  I truly appreciate it.

Jeffrey Richman.

6 Posts

June 1st, 2020 08:00

I've been trying to update windows as you suggested.  I wasn't aware of the failed updates until you pointed them out.  After several further attempts to update, it finally took and as of a few minutes ago I'm now running version 1909.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Jeff Richman.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 1st, 2020 08:00

@Jeff9999  Glad to hear it's resolved, and happy to help!  However, I would still recommend that you give some attention to that Windows Update problem that's preventing you from moving to a newer release, since you really don't want to end up running a system that isn't getting updates anymore, which if Microsoft sticks to their normal policy will happen for 1809 essentially now, considering that Windows 10 2004 has officially launched publicly.

No Events found!