Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

4 Posts

February 6th, 2019 23:00

G5 5587 Latest Realtek audio driver breaks sound entirely

February update for Realtek audio driver (6.0.1.8619_A02) breaks my sound entirely. No speakers recognized by windows and when I click the speaker in the taskbar it just goes right into troubleshooting with no fix eventually being the verdict. Rolled back to an older driver (6.0.1.8551_A01) and this seems to fix my issue, at least I can, you know, actually use my speakers and headphones. So that's good. But seriously? This was an approved update? What the **bleep**?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 7th, 2019 03:00

I would give the driver another try, may have been a corrupt install.  I have a G7 and a G5 5577 Gaming Laptops and both have the latest Realtek driver and working OK.

78 Posts

February 7th, 2019 04:00

i have the same problem g5 

9.4K Posts

February 7th, 2019 10:00

Hi BarnyTrubble,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If you haven't already, please run a systems diagnostics by either pressing F12 at startup or by running Dell SupportAssist.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are no error messages, it's possible there's a software or driver issue.  Have you tried removing the audio drivers completely, shutting down, and letting the native Windows drivers reinstall?  Be sure you have everything backed up because you may eventually need to reinstall the OS.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty or it's a software issue, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

February 7th, 2019 10:00

Given it several tries, all that happens is I lose all audio every time. A possible fix or another suggestion here would be nice, something other than "it works for me on a completely different system"

February 7th, 2019 11:00

I sent you a message, but I doubt you will be able to help me in the usual "send it to us and we'll send it back" way. Whatever the solution winds up being, my laptop will have to remain with me through whatever process is required to fix it.

21 Posts

February 7th, 2019 15:00

Never update the Realtek driver. I gave up on that about a month after getting my laptop, nothing new happened but problems.

293 Posts

February 7th, 2019 15:00

That may go along with never update the original BIOS too!  Long story short. 

But,  thanks for the heads up on Realtek.  My other 3+ year old is now used by my wife and never updated any drivers.  If it ain't broke, why fiddle with it and possibly have issues.  Long story short.

I recently gave a 5 year old Inspiron to my daughter-in-law and everything is original.  She wanted one with built in DVD tray.  I since have an LG external DVD RW. 

If Nvidia comes out with an update display driver for their MX 150, 4GB, I will take a hard look and maybe tempted.  Read the specs first.  lol

February 26th, 2019 04:00

I'm having the same problem, and don't have an option to roll back to an earlier version.  It definitely appears that this driver wasn't tested properly on the G5 5587.  I finally found that I can get sound back by running the driver installation software, letting it uninstall the existing drivers, rebooting, then cancelling the installation of the new driver when it tries to continue installation.  If I allow the driver to install, it breaks the sound every time (I replicated this three times before giving up.)  Whoever approved this needs a reprimand.

29 Posts

March 7th, 2019 19:00

I had the same issue with the new (Feb 2019) RealTek driver. What I did to fix the issue was to uninstall the driver and after the reboot, Windows will install the default Windows driver - it takes a couple of minutes - just click on the Volume icon to see it it works for you. That cleared up the issues that I was seeing. My laptop - G5 5587 glen

1 Message

April 8th, 2019 23:00

I have the same problem. The last driver audio have crashes. The audio still not working.

April 17th, 2019 09:00

Had the same issue with the latest audio drivers.

My new approach is to save a restore point before doing driver updates. That way if something gets broken in the process, I can go back. Had to learn that the hard way.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2019 04:00

same here audio still plays but the headphone jack does not detect or play audio, it also does not toggle the output selection popup

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 22nd, 2019 07:00

Thank you for your message. The latest version (https://dell.to/2UwW75Z42, A03) has been released on the 19th of April. Please update this version & check if the issue persists.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.       

How to locate the service tag

6 Posts

May 6th, 2019 00:00

If the newest drivers didn't sort it out...

Well, here is how I fixed mine.

1. Go to device manager.

2. Locate and rightclick on the sst driver, choose properties.

3.Driver -> Update driver.

4. Browse my computer.

5. Show compatible -> pick "High definition audio controller"

6. OK

Good luck

12 Posts

August 16th, 2019 19:00

please send a screenshot of the device manager page-- I don't see the sst driver

No Events found!