Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2021 11:00

Graphics Card Causes System Freeze

Hello to anyone who can help. I have tried many, many different things to resolve this issue. 

I have an Inspiron 7373 2 in 1 with an Intel UHD 620 graphics card. If I put the computer to sleep or hibernate, it wakes to a black screen and is unresponsive. If I leave the computer and allow it to turn off the screen, the processor fan starts to rev higher and the computer becomes unresponsive.

I have updated the BIOS and the graphics drivers to the most current versions. I have tried older versions of the graphics drivers. I have tried running in Safe mode, I have tried clean booting, I have searched through error codes, and worked with all sorts of settings to resolve the issue.

I was able to find a solution, and maybe this will help someone else. I was able to uninstall the Intel Graphics Driver and use the Generic PnP Driver. The computer works beautifully with that driver. No freezes, no hangs, goes to sleep and wakes up, Great! But, I lose my ability to use my HDMI port.

So the question, can anyone help me resolve the issue with the Intel UHD 620 graphics card? Or can you help me get my HDMI port working while only using the Generic PnP Driver?

I am not opposed to customizing the Generic PnP to allow the HDMI port to work.

Thanks in advance.

7 Posts

September 28th, 2021 11:00

For anyone reading this, I have found a work around. It works for my computer and may work for yours. It doesn't "FIX" the issue, but it makes the computer usable.

1. I updated the graphics driver to the most recently available.
  2. Using the Group Policy Settings, I disabled Sleep Options for the computer. (Google how to do this).
  3. In the Power & Sleep Settings Menu, the Screen and Sleep options are all set to "Never."
  4. In "Additional Power Settings" > Choose What the Power Buttons Do, Everything is set to "Hibernate." And, the "Change Settings Currently Unavailable" area has only "Hibernate" checked.
  5. In the "Change Plan Settings" > Everything is set to "Never"
  6. In the "Change Advanced Power Options" menu, the following are checked. 
    1. Sleep, Never for all
    2. Allow Hybrid Sleep, Never
    3. Hibernate after 
      1. Battery - 5 minutes
      2. Plugged In - Never
    4. Display - Turn off Display - Never.
  7. Then, set the screen saver to "Blank Screen."

All these settings prevent the screen from turning off when plugged in. This prevents the system freeze. It also allows the laptop to hibernate after 5 minutes. Hibernate seems to work, but sleep does not.

Good luck!

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 14th, 2021 11:00

That's not a solution. Graphic Driver control machine's sleep hibernation behavior you removing driver or disabling the device, disables that functionally. Plus the screen colors look faded. 

Reboot to safe mode and use DDU to remove Graphic Drivers 

Reboot again and install this Driver.

https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER06863954M/4/Intel-UHD-Graphics-Driver_G13PR_WIN_27.20.100.8854_A10.EXE

Reboot again and check by putting the machine to sleep 

for 2 min, 20 minutes and 1 hour. 

7 Posts

September 14th, 2021 12:00

And, I disagree that disabling the graphics driver disables hibernation. I have hibernation enabled with the generic PnP graphics card. The laptop hibernates and functions fine, other than the HDMI. There is no visible change to my screen colors using the Generic Card.

7 Posts

September 14th, 2021 12:00

I will give it a try. Unfortunately, the link you posted returns a 404 error.

pkolum_0-1631648086419.png

7 Posts

September 16th, 2021 06:00

Thanks for your reply for help. I unloaded all of the graphic drivers using DDU in Safe Mode. I then restarted and loaded the driver you suggested. Your link didn't work, so I downloaded it from the Dell service page. It is the most updated driver for the UHD 620 Graphics Card.

Unfortunately, the solution didn't work. I can hibernate the computer and wake it up. But, the computer still freezes if it is plugged in and the screen turns off.

Is there a way to use the Generic Microsoft Adapter with the HDMI enabled?

September 16th, 2021 07:00

Just delete de c at the end of the link of XPS_Man, after clicking it

https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER06863954M/4/Intel-UHD-Graphics-Driver_G13PR_WIN_27.20.100.8854_A10.EXE

7 Posts

September 20th, 2021 09:00

I've tried reloading that driver multiple times onto my computer. It just doesn't work right. If the computer turns off the screen to save power, the computer freezes. If the computer goes into sleep mode, it freezes.

So I'm back to my original question. I can operate the laptop using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. The screen turns off and wakes up fine. The computer hibernates fine and wakes up.

I just can't use my HDMI port. Is there a work around or hack to get the HDMI port functioning?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 20th, 2021 09:00

Unfortunately not.

The HDMI cable taps to onboard graphics (Intel HD graphics). I thought that USB to HDMI dongle will work as it uses display link Driver technology over Intel HD graphics.  But I just tested on my machine, with Intel HD graphics disabled it also doesn't work. 

Clearly, you are dealing with a bad graphic chip. Is the machine under warranty ? Seek a motherboard repalcement frorm Dell. 

7 Posts

September 20th, 2021 12:00

The laptop isn't in warranty any more. Though this issue has been around for a long time. 

Would a USB-C to HDMI dongle work with the Microsoft Basic Display adapter? I don't have the Intel Driver installed, so it wouldn't disable it. 

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 20th, 2021 12:00

No, it will still drive the display through onboard graphics.  

1 Message

November 18th, 2021 00:00

I have this exact same problem. Usually within a few minutes after my screen turns off the laptop freezes up.
I updated my machine to windows 11 today and also removed the battery as the system said it was bad thinking that may solve the issue with freezing.  But no I still saw issues, and they always seemed to happen while the display had been off as I'd never witnessed a blue screen or anything like that. 

Once changed the setting so that the display will always stay on I ran the laptop for the rest of the day with no issues, probably 8 hours straight.

Then I enabled the setting for the screen to turn off after 5 minutes.. Within just maybe 5-10 minutes later it froze up. I'm testing again now and it's gone 20 minutes or so and seems to still be running (I have a basic webserver running on it so I can test if it's still responding without touching the keyboard/mouse). 

January 8th, 2022 02:00

I am facing similar problem with my laptop Inspiron 5490, i7-10510U, Dual Channel 2666Mhz 8Gb ram, Windows 11 OS. Bought in 2019

When I install Intel UHD driver, the laptop freezes after few minutes. No Black screen or BSoD. But the displays just stops. CAPS Lock light shows no changes on press. However, the keyboard light functionality is active through Fn+ F5 button. I have NVidia geForceMX 230, which is working fine. The PC works fine in the safe mode, no freezes even after 3-4 hours of continuous use. 

I have mutliple times clean installed windows 10 (20H1, 20H2, 21H1, 21H2 version) and Windows 11. BIOS and all other drivers are up to date. But once I install Intel UHD graphics the freezing start and have to hard reboot to fix and the quickly uninstall Intel UHD graphics and run on Basic Display Adapter.

Is it a hardware issue? Because I was reading that hardware failure of integrated Graphics is very rare. How to check that? is motherboard replacement the only option? Can voltage and load on Integrated Graphics can also be an issue which can be rectified?

1 Message

April 21st, 2023 02:00

I'm having this exact same issue with my Precision 3470 - did you find a solution?

No Events found!