Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

October 4th, 2019 14:00

Hard Drive Error: 2000-0142

Last week my Dell Inspiron 15 (5000 series) had a hard crash and stopped recognizing the hard drive. It wouldn't boot saying "hard drive not found". Somehow I managed to get to a repair screen and reinstall windows 10 while saving my files but losing all the software/apps. 1 week later, it crashed again and is giving me the same error. However, I have no idea how to get to the screen to re-install windows.

Is this a windows error or a hard drive error? Do I need to just replace the hard drive or is there a better fix for this that I don't know about? I've had the laptop for 1 year and of course the warranty expired just 3 months ago (June 28). FML.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

This happened just last week and I reinstalled windows and it worked fine for a week. Is it common for hard drives to only sometimes fail like this? I don't understand how it works fine then crashes, fixed it, then crashes again later.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Your hard drive has failed. That is why you cannot install anything. See this-

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Diagnostics-error-2000-0142-Hard-Disk-failed/td-p/3994915

October 5th, 2019 16:00

I changed nothing on my computer and turned it on today and it worked fine. What the heck!?

No Events found!