Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

55 Posts

October 12th, 2021 00:00

High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11 on Dell G5 5590

Hi,

I recently noticed that the Desktop Window Manager is using high memory at some point, even when I have nothing open except the task manager. It hasn't caused any crashes so far, but it's just a matter of time in that kind of memory usage and I'm worried it will lead to something I won't be able to fix.

I did the usual (windows updates, virus scan, graphics driver check, All drivers update, SFC /scan, etc.) and nothing helped. Any advice that doesn't involve altering my laptop internals or resetting will be greatly appreciated!

Laptop model: Dell G5 5590

SPECS

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB (23.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Installed windows version

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎10/‎8/‎2021
OS build 22000.194
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.194.0

@G5  @JOcean 

TASK.png

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

December 10th, 2021 13:00

Check out this notice from Intel and the associated beta graphics driver for Intel integrated graphics. (You don't say what graphics your desktop has; if you don't have integrated Intel graphics the patch doesn't apply.) would imagine there will be a production driver with the fix coming from Intel in a week or two. I've just installed this driver as I have been experiencing this for the last month or more.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

October 12th, 2021 04:00

There is a bug in Windows 11 as mentioned here which may be the cause of your memory usage. The details are here and apparently in the dev channel insider's build it has been fixed. That fix should be in an update shortly according to sources.

55 Posts

October 12th, 2021 09:00

May be, Thank you*

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

October 12th, 2021 10:00

Happy to help out!

December 8th, 2021 21:00

me too

55 Posts

December 10th, 2021 19:00

Thanks, bro, let me try. But it's frustrating that dell is not releasing updates for graphic drivers.

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

December 10th, 2021 21:00

@jobin481g wrote:

Thanks, bro, let me try. But it's frustrating that dell is not releasing updates for graphic drivers.

I share your frustration! But the latest Intel production driver (as of today) also exhibits the problem. I'd like to say this beta driver nails it, but I've been running it less than a day. (Also -- on my system Windows sometimes loaded the old driver at boot time even after I'd installed the new one. I had 3 different drivers available and t seemed to be a toss-up which one I'd get after a given boot. I ended up booting to safe mode, deleting all the Intel drivers from Device Manager -- until it was running the Microsoft Basic graphics driver -- and reinstalling the new beta driver, to insure it got loaded every time.) Fingers crossed!

55 Posts

December 13th, 2021 05:00

It almost worked for me. Memory leak reduced to MBs from 3-5 GB Thanks bro.

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

December 18th, 2021 13:00

FYI, Intel has released an official (generic) driver with the DWM fix. Notes here.

1 Message

January 15th, 2022 22:00

Hi. I have the same problem. But when I try to install the driver you have given, it does not install. It gives the following error,

Screenshot 2022-01-16 113130.pngMy laptop details are as under,

• Model: Dell Inspiron 5570
  • Windows 11 Home 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7 @ 1.80GHz (Kaby Lake-U/Y 14nm Technology)
  • 8GB RAM
  • Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Dell)
  • 931GB Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 (SATA )
  • 119GB SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 128GB (SATA (SSD)) - Windows installed on this SSD.

This problem was not present with Windows 10. It has started after the Windows 11 Update.

Plus I also feel that my PC has not remained as snappy as it used to be with windows 10. Like when I double click a folder, when I right click to open that popup list etc., I feel a little delayed response. Back in Windows 10, everything was snappy.

Any fix?

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

January 16th, 2022 09:00

OK, keep in mind that I'm feeling my way here, same as you. (My only experience with this is my own system, and poking around trying to find the solution.)

You haven't specified your CPU exactly, but I'm guessing it's i7-8550U. Intel has now released a production generic driver containing the DWM fix, 30.0.101.1191, available here, which I think is applicable to your CPU (but perhaps not your laptop? read on). On that page they also link to a troubleshooting page here with instructions on solving installation errors. Basically you uninstall any existing drivers until Device Manager lists only Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, then install the new driver. From what I can see online, there's a good chance this procedure will solve your installation problem.

That said, Intel warns that replacing an OEM driver like Dell's with their generic driver could cause problems with some systems, and that you should (except for troubleshooting) always defer to the manufacturer's driver. Laptops tend to be a lot more custom than desktops, so I would expect that Dell has included system-specific customizations. I noticed too that the driver rev on the Inspiron 5570 support page is different from the one for my Vostro desktop (and older besides), so I imagine there are specific tweaks. You might not detect any difference, or it might be a major problem or anything in between.

I'm not sure whether Windows Update might subsequently try to reinstall the older, Dell-specific driver over the new one. I've seen this on my system and it possibly could cause problems for you, including the return of the DWM memory leak. On the other hand, the troubleshooting instructions hint that Windows Update might install the necessary customizations for proper operation and still leave the fix intact. It's hard to know without trying it. Just get good backups before you proceed, I guess. Hopefully Dell updates their driver for your system soon to include the fix.

Hope this helps!

55 Posts

January 17th, 2022 01:00

I clearly specified my cpu. check my thread.

SPECS

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB (23.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

January 17th, 2022 11:00

Sorry jobin481g... I was trying to reply to S.A.M.1992's post further down the thread, and I guess I just made a generic post rather than a reply. I think the board doesn't always display posts in chronological order either, but sorry for the confusion.

No Events found!