Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

March 26th, 2020 09:00

How do I flip my webcam for tent setting?

I'm using an older Inspiron 7347 and needed to disable the touch screen so that due to a short in one of the boards (assisted by tech support at Microsoft Store). I use the setup with an external keyboard and mouse and I always keep it in 'tent mode' on an easel to save on desk space.  The screen does not automatically flip when I use tent mode so i did it manually in display settings. This all works great except that now when i do a zoom meeting, my webcam is upside down. I checked the webcam driver and Dell says it is up to date. I'm not seeing anyplace to make this adjustment in Windows 10 Settings. Any suggestions? 

• 

25.1K Posts

March 27th, 2020 03:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

5.6K Posts

March 27th, 2020 07:00

Why do you keep doing this?

What is the point of sending private messages when the question is how to fix something? 

So silly.

March 27th, 2020 14:00

I replied to the bot on the private message- not sure why I needed to do this as I was posting on a public forum. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 27th, 2020 14:00

@Bob_CashMan  if the system doesn't have a built-in gyroscope to detect orientation and the driver doesn't have manual controls allowing modifications like "Flip vertical", then the only fallback would be if the application itself supported that, but I know that Zoom doesn't.  I'm actually surprised you have a system that physically accommodates being in tent mode but doesn't have a gyroscope to adjust the orientation of the display and such.  I didn't realize systems like that existed -- or is it possible that this is a casualty of the hardware issue in your system that you mentioned?

I believe at this point webcams use a standardized driver built into Windows (rather like external hard drives, USB controllers, etc.), and if it doesn't offer these controls, it's likely because the driver would adapt video orientation automatically based on input from a gyroscope that it would assume would be available if the system design warranted one.  In that case your best bet would be to find some sort of replacement generic driver that does incorporate those controls, but I'm not aware of one.  Sorry!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 27th, 2020 15:00

@Bob_CashMan  it turns out I was incorrect about Zoom's inability to do this.  It does in fact support changing video orientation.  Take a look at this article.  Of course this will only apply to Zoom, but hopefully that's at least something.

No Events found!