Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2018 06:00

How to add SSD to Inspiron 17 5000 Series?

I am looking at an Inspiron 17 5000 Series on sale at Costco. It comes with a 2TB HDD. I would like to add a 500GB SSD. Can someone point me to the correct SSD type for the model and if possible a straight forward installation and SSD boot procedure? Appreciate any assistance.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

February 10th, 2018 10:00

Install a copy of Macrium Reflect (on the new system) and make a recovery flash drive from it (the free/home use version will work fine).  Boot the system from the Reflect media, and SHUT DOWN the system when done. 

DISCONNECT the hard drive the first time you boot from the SSD.  Once you've booted the system from the SSD, you should be all set - you can then reconnect the hard drive and use it for storage (though I'd remove it and set it aside until you're 100% certain there are no issues with the new system - Dell can require you to return the drive to factory condition if you call for support).

DO NOT boot the system with both drives connected after you clone the original drive until AFTER you've booted with just the SSD installed.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

February 10th, 2018 07:00

What the system will take depends on the exact model number of the system -- 7573, 7779, 7778, etc).

If you post that someone can assist you in answering.

Most newer systems will take an M.2 NVMe or SATA SSD.  You'll need to make a set of recover media to install the OS onto the replacement drive.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN297924

8 Posts

February 10th, 2018 08:00

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, the Costco description does not include a specific model number. And the unit is on-line order only so I can't visit the store to see.

However the Costco spec sheet is exactly the same as this Dell site model:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/new-inspiron-17-5000/spd/inspiron-17-5770-laptop/cai175w10p2c2446b

So assume I would need whatever SSD design config is in that machine. If possible, I'd like to order the laptop and SSD concurrently to get up and running ASAP.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

Steve

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

February 10th, 2018 09:00

This will take an M.2 2280 SSD - SATA or NVMe should both work.  The latter is faster (and significantly more expensive, at least for a high performance unit).

8 Posts

February 10th, 2018 09:00

That's great.  Thanks.  I'll swing for the M.2 NVMe.  Last request.  I'm not a hardware techie.  So if I install it, then I need to clone the existing HDD and configure the machine to boot up from the SSD.  Can you point me to a sequential tutorial?

Much appreciated.

8 Posts

February 11th, 2018 14:00

ejn,

Appreciate the great feedback.  Thanks!

1 Message

March 4th, 2018 10:00

Did adding SSD work for you? I am planning to get the same laptop?

8 Posts

March 4th, 2018 16:00

I'm not a Geek, but installing the SSD was pretty much a piece of cake. I bought this highly recommended SSD from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M20VBU7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only paid 200 bucks for it 2 weeks ago. I also bought a computer repair kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077D7WMZV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The screw drivers fit into the screw holes and are magnetized, so worth the 9 bucks in saved aggravation.

I first got a 32GB thumb drive from Best Buy, ($10) and created a recovery drive using the Windows 10 utility. I then downloaded the user manual from Dell to get the instructions for installing the SSD and also downloaded the Samsung Migration software.

I then installed the SSD. The SSD slot is clearly visible when you take the back casing off. I created a clone of the HDD onto the SSD using the Migration utility. A wizard does everything. For some reason the machine did not boot from the SSD even when I updated the Bios (F12 on boot-up). So I removed the HDD entirely. That worked. The machine runs fine off the SSD. (It's a rocket.) The HDD can be reinstalled and then reformatted to act as a storage device if you want.

Good Luck...

1 Message

July 15th, 2018 13:00

I am planning same.  Amazon indicates a new SSD model, EVO 970, faster, cheaper, etc - your thoughts?

thx

Ralph

8 Posts

July 15th, 2018 14:00

faster and cheaper is always better :)

Good luck...

1 Message

August 9th, 2018 16:00

I would like to upgrade my SSD on a 17-5770 and need to know what is compatible. I have considered a WD Black 1TB High-Performance NVMe PCIe Gen3 8 Gb/s M.2 2280 SSD. Is this compatable with the 5770. It presently has a TOSHIBA KSG60ZMV256G M.2 2280 256GB (SSD).  Suggestions?

13 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 18:00

I'm interested in this too (eithe adding or replacing an ssd in a 5770), but frankly it's concerning that you have to disconnect the original HDD to get the SSD to boot. While that's helpful to know it makes no sense - there should just be some sort of boot order setting. What if you want to go back to booting the HDD?

2 Posts

July 5th, 2019 04:00

according to the manual the maximum storage supported for SSD is 512GB.

Solid-state drive (SSD)•
M.2 SATA SSD•
M.2 NVMe SSD
Maximum configuration supported•
M.2 SATA SSD: Up to 256 GB•
M.2 NVMe SSD: Up to 512 GB 

No Events found!