Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2019 02:00

How to drain residual electricity with non-removable battery?

Hi'

How may I drain residual electricity from new device with non-removable battery.  I used to be able to remove pwr brick cord and remove battery and then press n' hold pwr button to drain residual electricity from device.

How may I drain residual electricity from new device with non-removable battery. 

Does information posted elsewhere for non DELL device apply to my DELL.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer from the wall socket.
  3. If the battery is removable, Remove the battery and hold the Power button down for 15 seconds.
  4. If the battery is non-removable, while the computer is ON, hold the power button down and wait for the computer to shut down and still hold the power button down for another 15 seconds.
  5. Turn the computer ON and check.

Um, is #4 safe okay practice now on new(er) machines.   

.... it’s now perfectly safe to shut down with the power button.
https://www.howtogeek.com/181295/yes-its-okay-to-shut-down-your-computer-with-the-power-button/

53 Posts

June 12th, 2019 04:00

png_158.png

Yes, I read Dell Inspiron Service Manual re battery removal.

So the answer to my Topic: How to drain residual electricity with non-removable battery?
https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/How-to-drain-residual-electricity-with-non-removable-battery/m-p/7314314/highlight/true#M55499

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer from the wall socket.
  3. If the battery is removable, Remove the battery and hold the Power button down for 60 seconds.
  4. If the battery is non-removable, while the computer is ON, hold the power button down and wait for the computer to shut down and still hold the power button down for another 60 seconds.
  5. Turn the computer ON and check.

Um, why reply to me in private.  Why not post your information answer to my Topic in public for all Community members.   

Thanks

• 

16.7K Posts

June 11th, 2019 05:00

bjm,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 12th, 2019 04:00

@bjm_ wrote:

Um, why reply to me in private.  Why not post your information answer to my Topic in public for all Community members.   

Thanks

Very well said.

Best regards,

U2

June 21st, 2021 12:00

My laptop is not turning on(Non-removable battery). How to drain residual power? 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 21st, 2021 13:00

It isn't exactly clear what your goal is.

If it's to restart the the system:

1. Unplug the AC adapter.

2. Remove the base cover.

3.  Disconnect the battery from the system board.

4.  Hold the power button for 30 sec.

5.  Verify that the LED on the DC side of the adapter is ON before you plug in the notebook end.  if it's not, it's faulty;  replace it.

Once you've verified the AC adapter is OK (LED ON), plug in the notebook (no battery) and see if it'll power up.

if it will, then try reconnecting the battery.  If that halts powerup,  you have a bad battery.

If the system still won't power up on AC only, you almost certainly have a bad system board.

It was fully charged and the charger cable was plugged in. As soon as I removed the charger, system got turned off automatically and now I am unable to turn it on. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

Unplug the system, remove the base cover from the system and disconnect the battery from the system board.  Hold the power button for 30 sec.  Reconnect the battery and restart the system.

If all you want to do is run the battery down, leave it on (unplugged) until the system cuts off.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

Yes, but it'll take months if the battery has any appreciable level of charge in it.

I can’t turn on my laptop. If I leave my laptop for a long time, Will the battery drain by itself?

No Events found!