Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

2 Posts

October 14th, 2022 14:00

Inspiron 14 Plus 7420, touchpad works randomly

Inspiron 14 Plus 7420

Inspiron 14 Plus 7420

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 14 plus 7420 and the touchpad works very randomly. Very regularly it freezes and the cursor does not move for several seconds or even minutes. Has anyone experienced this problem? Do you know how to solve it?

Thanks

October 18th, 2022 06:00

After latest bios update fixed.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

October 16th, 2022 22:00

1) Click “Start”, type “Device Manager” and press enter.
2) In the “Device Manager” window, double click “Mouse and other pointing devices”.
3) Right click "Dell Touchpad", click "Uninstall", and ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”.
4) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
5) Click “Start”, type “Programs and Features” and press enter.
6) In the “Programs and Features” window, right click “Quickset64”, click “Change/Uninstall”.
7) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Restart the computer.
9) Go here, click the blue button, Check for Updates. Follow the instructions

October 18th, 2022 06:00

Could you please update the URL due to is not available? 

2 Posts

November 14th, 2022 13:00

I also updated the BIOS but it still doesn't work for me. Dell support tells me that the only thing to do is to reinstall windows.
Do you have another idea?
Thanks

December 5th, 2022 20:00

seems to re-start moving after 10-20 min and then freeze again.  and it also works again with both a reboot and when closing and waking the laptop.  clearly a driver issue, and dell is some fixing to do. 

1 Message

December 16th, 2022 12:00

Same problem. I've got a brand new device last week ago, a few days ago the second device, because of the first notebooks touchpad failure. Second device still has the problem. The cursor stops randomly and freezes up, left and right click works randomly, sometimes it works, sometimes not. All in all is the device unsusable. The technical support will send me a technician next week. But honestly, I'm not sure if it it a hardware problem, my guess is a software problem. What do you think, has anybody a clue? @AdrianG001 Could you please update the URL due to it is not available anymore?

1 Message

January 6th, 2023 04:00

I have this exact same issue too. My Inspiron 14 plus had a replacement trackpad fitted, and everything was fine for the next 2-3 weeks but the issue has just returned in the past few days.

Mouse works fine
Then suddenly stops moving, but clicking still works.
Or, the mouse moves, but when I try and drag and drop something I cannot do that.
When the mose is unresponsive, it sometimes comes back aftre a few seconds, and sometimes after several minutes.
Rebooting solves the problem for a short while
But, then it can go for an entire day without the issue!

So frustrating, but it does basically make the laptop unuseable on the days it is playing up. I'm not happy about this. It is 2023 for goodness sake, laptops shouldn't be having trackpad driver issues now-a-days!

1 Message

August 20th, 2023 21:18

Had the exact same issue. The BIOS update did not fix it. Found an update tool from dell for the touchpad (LITEON Touchpad Firmware update). The tool stated that my laptop ran version 6 of the touchpad drivers and updated the drivers to version 7. So far no issues with the touchpad.

Link to the update tool:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/de-de/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=xt20w&oscode=w2021&productcode=inspiron-14-7420-laptop

(edited)

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2023 13:53

@AdrianG001​ What if the "Dell Touchpad" is not even showing in the list? 

(edited)

1 Message

November 12th, 2023 07:54

If using Win11 - Try fully opening the laptop screen all the way until flat in tablet form.

Tablet mode is automatic in Win11 there is no manual selection.

Fully opening the screen puts it in tablet mode and turns off the track pad.

Now close the screen back to Laptop mode.  This reactivated the track pad and may fix the problem.

1 Message

November 28th, 2023 06:42

I am having to same issue as everyone else.  I can't believe Dell is not aware of this issue and not providing a fix to resolve this annoying issue.   

(edited)

No Events found!