Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

July 16th, 2020 09:00

Inspiron 15 3521 WILL NOT BOOT

PLEASE help!

I've got a 1-beep code which I believe means I need to replace the motherboard but I want to try everything else first because if I need a new MB I'll just buy a new laptop(and it definitely WON'T be a Dell). I've tried FN+POWER, made sure all static was discharged, I tried hitting F12 but since I can't even boot to the Dell logo it doesn't do anything, I reseated all components, and tried a BIOS reset, none of them worked.  My service tag is worn off and since it won't boot, I can't get my service tag number from BIOS. Is there a way I can factory reset it if it won't boot up? PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP!

If nothing else works I'm going to use this piece of junk as target practice. At least then it'll be useful, if only for some stress relief.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 16th, 2020 09:00

You can't factory reset a system that won't pass POST (i.e., 1-beep halt).  The system board is dead.

3 Posts

July 16th, 2020 10:00

Gotcha, thanks for the info!

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

You're going to need some hardware to connect the drive to a working system - if you have a desktop computer with a spare SATA cable and power connector, you can use that.  Otherwise, you'll either need an external enclosure or a USB to SATA adapter.

3 Posts

That's what I figured, but wanted to check anyway. Is there any way I can recover the files without going out and buying an external HD housing thing?

5.6K Posts

July 16th, 2020 12:00

Ah, you are right. No POST = need external enclosure or dock or USB adapter cable.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

I think the issue here is that the system won't complete POST -- so that won't be an option.

5.6K Posts

Actually, you can recover the files without an enclosure or an adapter cable. You can boot into Linux by creating a bootable Linux USB flash drive. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31804/the-10-cleverest-ways-to-use-linux-to-fix-your-windows-pc/

No Events found!