Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2018 14:00

Inspiron 15 5000 usb c

hi all,

i bought an inspiron 5000 and it comes with a usb C port but with the statement below, what does it specifically mean? as in i mean to ask if there is power delivery and can i connect hdmi to the usb hub connected to the usb C port on the laptop? thxs in advance.

1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™ (optional) with PowerDelivery and Video – only on Configs with Discrete graphics

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-5000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-5570-laptop

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 26th, 2018 15:00

Discrete graphics refers to a separate GPU than the Intel GPU that's built into the CPU, i.e. an NVIDIA or AMD GPU.  It appears that the Inspiron 5570 is available in configurations with and without discrete graphics.  If you check Device Manager > Display Adapters and only see an Intel GPU listed, your system doesn't have discrete graphics.  If you do have another GPU, then based on the specs, you'd be able to get video output from your USB-C port, either through a cable, dock, or mini-dock/adapter plugged into it.  As for Power Delivery, that refers to the USB Power Delivery spec.  The confusing part is that USB-PD can be negotiated to deliver power in either direction.  Typically when the USB-C port specs are listed like yours, it means the system can provide power to attached peripherals according to the USB-PD spec.  Typically the maximum power is 7.5W or 15W rather than the typical USB 3.x limit of 4.5W.  Technically USB Power Delivery can also be used to negotiate receiving power from an attached device in order to charge the laptop, but for systems that support that, Dell typically includes something like "charging" or "DC-in" in the specs of the USB-C port.

No Events found!