Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 15 5567 Fan making noise

So I have this laptop since Sep 2017 and everything was working fine. For the last few days the fan starts to make noise. The laptop is not overheated and no much dust inside. I just updated to the latest BIOS few days ago

At first, the fan will start to make little noise like it get stuck on something or get loose after a period of time. Then, if I life it up in the air and move it around, the noise will get louder. Sometimes if I hit at the back of the laptop, it will be quiet, and sometimes when I put it back down to the table, it gets loud again. Also, it helps if I close the lid (puts in sleep mode) and move around a little bit, then re-open and run the laptop, the noise is gone. It come back occasionally.

I am not sure if this is hard disk noise or fan noise, but it looks like noise coming from the fan more. I have done cleaning dust and run diagnostics through Support Assists but the problem is still there. I should note that when I got this brand new laptop through mail from Dell, I got no Data CD, but the diagnostics through SupportAssists asked me to insert one.

Is there anyway to fix this problem ? It happens more often now. Thanks

January 21st, 2018 19:00

If it is the fan and the noise is excessive then all you can do is replace it, if you have already thoroughly cleaned it. The bearings may be going out. Contact Dell Support if you are under Warranty.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2019 22:00

That response is a JOKE. How can you not be aware of all the fans that were replaced under warranty with no success in fixing this issue which is a known, documented issue. DELL continues to fail at a remedy for this problem. Now, the queston is..... How do you REALLY fix the fan noise??

1 Message

February 2nd, 2019 18:00

How did you solve this problem? 

146 Posts

March 18th, 2019 21:00

Did you solve this problem? I got the same problem. My friend thought the fan works too long, I need replace it. But I want the ORIGINAL one.

May 3rd, 2019 10:00

I am having the same issue. I bought the laptop during August 2017 and now the fans have started to make noise.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 13:00

Thank you for your message. Have you observed any heating issues with the system?

What is the BIOS version installed?

Download & save the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework driver (IDPTF) & BIOS from Support site & save to your desktop screen.

Open device manager – expand IDPTF – right click on the drivers & click on uninstall (check the box that says delete driver) do not restart the computer.

Install the IDPSF saved on your desktop followed by the BIOS (even if you have the latest version) & then reboot, observe your computer.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.       

How to locate the service tag

7 Posts

January 15th, 2020 11:00

I have the same problem for the 5567 I have barely used over the 2 yrs I have purchased it. I have been monitoring the temperature of CPU and even if it is between 40-50C, the fan makes the noise. I have opened up the laptop and cleaned the dust from the fan since I thought an obstruction has been causing it but the noise persisted. I have tried updating the IDPTF and BIOS but the problem still persists. I didn't take the laptop to service since I thought it was a problem I could solve by myself by cleaning the fan. Now the warranty is over and I don't think there is a mechanical problem with the fan since I have seen some people claiming they have replaced with an original brand new fan but the problem is still there. Also, since I didn't use the laptop too much, I don't think where is too much wear on the fan that could cause failure.

The previous DELL I have bought for my dad is still doing alright after 9 years. That's why I paid a little extra and got a DELL for myself this time and I am beginning to be remorseful after I have seen other users complaining about the same problem I have and they are offered no solution.

1 Message

January 17th, 2020 11:00

I am also facing this same issue with my 5567 from past few days. I purchased this laptop in august 2017, it's just over two years and i am facing this kind of hardware problem. DELL please RESPOND. 

7 Posts

January 27th, 2020 05:00

I called DELL TURKEY service and they want me to bring the laptop in. The warranty wasn't over when the problem started but it is now and I don't want to turn it in. New fans sell for around 5-10 USD in Turkey and I am not sure if it will fix the problem if I replace the fan with a new one. Dell Support is a joke.

7 Posts

January 27th, 2020 05:00

This is obviously a production fault of DELL. I have another DELL Laptop that a family member is using for 8 years which makes less fan noise!!!

2 Posts

December 7th, 2020 15:00

My fan recently went out for a second time recently. It first went out before a year was up and was fixed under warranty. It is on its way out again not even year later. I bought the basic warranty and after running diagnostics and making sure my laptop was updated, the bar code on the fan failure information took me to a Dell customer service chat. I am going to get ahead myself here. I after i use my laptop, I slide under my  wing chair. A few times when I was sliding it out, I broke a few of those tines that let the fan breathe. So when I tell this person about the fan and she asks me a few questions,  she says she is going to send someone to my house to repair it. While I was happy to have it repaired and not have to mail it off, I gave covid a thought. So my big mouth ask if those broken tines are fixed under warranty. She says take a picture. I attach a picture and she answered my faster than any time the whole conversation. The tune was quickly changed and she said those broken tines voided my warranty. I said I at least want the fan fixed. She kept repeating I am sorry it is out of warranty now, call our out of warranty department.  My warranty was paid through June 21. She did tell me to upgrade to accidental damage and it would be fixed. I really didn't bother to upgrade. I watched a YouTube video and I can replace the fan and the case bottom for a very reasonable price. As far as Dell. All done with them.

Service was set up and fixed the system

No Events found!