Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 15 5570 WIFI VERY SLOW - Frustrating

I've been seeing this in quite a lot of threads on the internet, there is an issue with the wifi module (intel dual band wireless-AC 3165) that DELL is using in its new line of laptops.

I have Comcast's 250mbps internet connection at home. I have several other devices (phones, tablets, chromebook) that get at least 40-50mbps with wireless connection (checked using speedtest.net app) but the new DELL laptop 5570 that I bought in January 2018 from DELL's website is only getting 1-2mbps download and 3-4mbps upload speed. Can someone explain whats going on and help troubleshoot this problem. I've reset the modem, checked it's firmware and updated the DELL system with all new updates. Wifi module driver is also up to date. 

I'm using DLink DIR 850L router. I hope I provided enough info. Please help.

1 Message

September 16th, 2018 08:00

You are a genius.

@JeroenJeroen wrote:

I found the solution! finally!!!
I turned off SmartByte and my internet speed doubled!
Don't know yet if it will stay stable, but I think it will.

Hope it works for you as well!

All the best!

Uninstalled SmartByte and my wifi speed went from 30 Mbps to 115 Mbps!!

Dell should be ashamed for putting such a crappy software on their Laptops.

1 Message

September 16th, 2018 09:00

worked flawlessly

thanks a lot

1 Message

September 16th, 2018 16:00

I disabled "Smartbyte Network Service" and my Internet Download speed went from 49 mbps to 175 mbps!  Thank you!

1 Message

September 17th, 2018 13:00

I signed into here just to say thank you. 

I have spent all day searching for the reason why my wifi speed has been so slow. Thank you!!!! Your solution worked for me.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2018 07:00

Thank you so much for this! It really worked.

The only question now is how in the world did SmartByte got into our devices? 

41 Posts

September 22nd, 2018 08:00

Uninstalling SmartBytes also fixed the problem on Inspirion 15 7579, Would it be necessary to install smartbytes again once bug fixed or nah?

1 Message

September 22nd, 2018 10:00

Hello all,

I also noticed that my iPad was showing my paid for 200 MBPS  speed, while my Dell 15/ 5000 12 inches away from it, while the Dell might hit 30 to 35 MBPS.

I saw this thread, uninstalled SmartByte and boom, back to the speeds I have paid for.

Someone at Dell needs to get a rapid grip on this stupid add on they've placed on these machines. 

vbmal

1 Message

September 22nd, 2018 21:00

Turned off Smartbyte and went from 1 MBPS to over 200 MBPS....Just wow.Thanks for this thread!

September 22nd, 2018 21:00

dont buy dell...  i was considering that a few weeks ago. i bought alll in one  dell @1500$$

paid cash  trouble started right away, support was  nowhere to be found, i did like you   i wrote ceo and 6 board members  when that didnt help i wrote attorney  general of Washington state where i live  although  i  never got  reply from ceo or   board members  tech support  couldnt help   enough as  i continued having  problems with the dell  i contacted support several times  they were right on the spot each time i had to replace  wireless keyboard and  mouse  5 times    finally   got wired  of each no more problems with that , the cd rom  started acting   up and they sent me the internal parts the guts of the unit  no questions asked. i have had dell ever since win 3.0. i expect now i will stay with them, but i had to work at it to come to that conclusion. i had several  more problems wit this all in one    and support was right there even if ijust wanted to ask a question they answered.  i should not have had problems  in the beginning  thats the first time in all these years the tech support   was lousy. i did learn if you call at the wrong time of day you get the guys in  India  that is bad news, i learned when to  call quickly.

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2018 07:00

I received four days ago a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 - 5378

All great !!

Except that comparing with another PC placed beside, Wifi connection was very much slower.

Made upgrades from Dell's page; nothing.

Then removed SmartByte as said.

Works, now speed is correct, similar Wifi speed as in the other PC.

Solved !!

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2018 07:00

I received four days ago a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 - 5378

All great !!

Except that comparing with another PC placed beside, Wifi connection was very much slower.

Made upgrades from Dell's page; nothing.

Then removed SmartByte as said.

Works, now speed is correct, similar Wifi speed as in the other PC.

Solved !!

1 Message

September 28th, 2018 07:00

Uninstalling smart byte worked, are people from DELL taking this seriously?

1 Message

September 30th, 2018 18:00

Thanks. I just went from 40MBs to 300MBs!!!

1 Message

October 1st, 2018 15:00

This worked great for me!   I found the instructions somewhere else.  WIN +R, then type in "services.msc", find Smartbyte Network Service and turn it off.  I even "disabled" mine since it was on automatic.

Thanks so much for helping out with this!!  What a lifesaver!  My internet provider was getting tired of hearing from me.

4 Posts

October 4th, 2018 11:00

can we receive a confirmation from dell … why you continu to install this to a dell laptop

i have a ton of laptop to support and when people call for slow wifi … i always remove smartbytes and all dell related software because … its reinstalling smartbyte  sometime from dell update i think ...

its a piece of **bleep** this smartbyte

No Events found!