Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 9th, 2018 10:00

Inspiron 15-5579, upgrade ram and HDD

Hi, I am looking at getting the Dell Inspiron 15 5579 2 in 1 laptop and theres one thing that i would like to know. I notice that it comes with 8GB of DDR4 preinstalled but i am looking to upgrade to possibly 16GB if possible and replace the 1TB HDD with a SSD that I already have on hand. But one thing I would like to know is does dell void the warrenty if the machine is opened for upgrades? I know HP does not and I kinda dought that i would ever need to do a warrenty claim on the machine so I want to know before I get the machine. If it does that's not that big of a problem cause I can wait till the warranty expires to upgrade but I would like to upgrade as soon as i get the machine with the SSD.  Also does the ethernet adapter that support PXE booting as i may do the Windows 10 Pro upgrade at some point and would like the ability to image the laptop with a custom Windows image that I create.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

November 9th, 2018 10:00

The memory can be upgraded without affecting the warranty.  You can also replace or add an SSD without affecting the warranty.

If you're looking for PXE boot, the Inspiron isn't your system.  Go for a Latitude.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 14th, 2018 06:00

PXE boot is the a requirement but it would be nice to have. If I can't its not that big of a deal. As long as I can upgrade the RAM and the HDD to an SSD without clearing my warranty that is what I really want.  The HDD may be big but the SSD is faster and speed will be a big factor.  the RAM would be nice to upgrade to 16GB as well but 8 will good enough for the time being.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2020 15:00

Hi

If you were able to upgrade, can you suggest a compatible SSD to replace the HDD in dell 5579?

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 22nd, 2020 17:00

Any sata ssd will work with this laptop.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

June 13th, 2024 00:37

What brand of ddr4 would you recomend?

No Events found!