Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

2 Posts

November 19th, 2019 19:00

Inspiron 15 7000 Nvidia 1060 MaxQ - PC won't use GPU

Unfortunately this is far from the first time this laptop has had issues and now it seems almost nonfunctional. I recently tried using this PC again after some time and have (what I believe to be) a new issue. Under heavy load the PC simply ISN'T USING the Nvidia GPU. Task manager displays 0% usage. Even after disabling the Intel Graphics this insolent brick wants to use CPU power and will show Nvidia card at 0%

I hate to rant on a forum but this is silly. I can't afford to replace this thing right now and would really appreciate if the Nvidia card that I paid half of this price for would work properly. 

If anyone has a clue I would be very grateful.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 19th, 2019 20:00

@legomotionz  are you basing this on anything other than Task Manager not reporting any activity?  GPU activity reporting in Task Manager is a relatively new addition to Windows 10, and I've seen it show 0% usage on an NVIDIA GPU even when the GPU is clearly active according to other tools or basic tests of applications that would return far worse frame rates if the NVIDIA GPU wasn't active.  What applications are you using that you're expecting to use the NVIDIA GPU?  Have you tried going into NVIDIA Control Panel and creating a profile to force that application to use the NVIDIA GPU?

In addition, are you using the laptop's built-in display or an external display when testing the NVIDIA GPU?  If the latter, are you connecting it through any sort of dock?  If you have a dock that uses DisplayLink technology (not to be confused with DisplayPORT) and a dual GPU system, then due to a Windows limitation, content on displays connected through that dock can only be accelerated by the system's primary GPU, which in an Intel+NVIDIA system will typically be the Intel GPU.

No Events found!