Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

J

1 Message

July 9th, 2018 13:00

Inspiron 15 Touchpad Too Sensitive

The touchpad on my new Inspiron 15 5570 with Windows 10 Pro is way to sensitive. The lightest of touches causes unintended cursor movements and finger taps. Adjusting the "Touchpad sensitivity" to "Low sensitivity" makes no difference. In fact, this adjustment makes no difference regardless of where it is set. Uninstalling the device and a restart to reinstall made no improvement.

The device is listed in Device Manager as "HID-compliant touch pad." When trying to display the driver details I get a popup that says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device." I find no touchpad driver listed for this computer in Dell driver downloads.

The touchpad is, otherwise, fully functional.

Any ideas on being able to adjust the sensitivity on this computer?

Service Tag:   Express Service Code: Thanks!

9.4K Posts

July 10th, 2018 08:00

Hi jep326,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge base you may find helpful:

Touchpad Usage and Troubleshooting Guide

and a short video:

How to Fix Touchpad Problems on a Laptop

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately.  Please include your personal information along with your computer's service tag number.  Thanks.

11 Posts

January 14th, 2019 07:00

I have the same problem.  Very annoying.  When I inquired, they gave me the same links and suggestions which don't work.  Clearly the sensitivity setting is not working and there is no way to fix it

4 Posts

January 21st, 2019 09:00

Same issue on my brand new Inspiron 7786.  What is the fix??  About ready to send back to Dell.

-Jason

January 22nd, 2019 08:00

I have the same problem on my new Inspiron 17 - set to lowest sensitivity to no avail. Constantly accidentally clicking and dragging things on my screen. Super aggravating and unproductive. If anyone has a cure, please post. Thanks!

January 22nd, 2019 09:00

Hi Jesse L,

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I've already done that but it has had no effect.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 09:00

PattiPatti,

Click start Settings- Devices-Mouse & Touchpad-Additional Mouse Settings-click to change the Dell Touchpad Settings-Click the sensitivity option and make the changes to your touchpad.

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

11 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 09:00

As others have already said, changing the sensitivity of the touchpad seems to have no impact at all

February 6th, 2019 09:00

I do not have a Dell Touchpad tab in the additional mouse pointer options. How else can I adjust the sensitivity as the windows settings don't change anything.

Thanks!

~YF

4 Posts

February 9th, 2019 04:00

Hi Jesse,

I and many many other are still waiting for a fix.  What is the feedback from Engineering?  As most other have already stated, decreasing the sensitivity to the lowest is not alleviating the issues.  I am ready to send this back to Dell because of this defect.

-Jason

1 Message

February 14th, 2019 21:00

I find in incredible that no one has sorted out a simple fix to DELL Inspiron touchpad sensitivity - by the number of posts, pretty clear I am going to struggle sorting this out - driving me crazy!! Any ideas on help? Rob

February 19th, 2019 08:00

My older inspiron 5555 is the same way and no help in sensitivity settings.  I have it set to low senitivity but I get wild movement and selections.  I do not have any rings or other metal on my touchpad hand.  I often get "tooltip" menus, etc. when I attempt to select.  It appears that gestures are in effect but I have all gestures unselected.

1 Message

March 25th, 2019 04:00

I have a workaround that will not be comfortable at first.  I will probably get used to it though.

In the Windows 10 Control Panel>Devices>Touchpad

Just below the Touchpad sensitivity dropbox...

Uncheck the first box and possibly the second and fourth:

_ Tap with a single finger to single-click

X Tap with two fingers to right click

X Tap twice and drag to multi-select

X Press the lower right corner of the touchpad to right-click

This obviously changes your interaction with the laptop.  You will have to start clicking like you mean it and not just lightly tap the pad anymore.  Too bad, so sad.

I have spent almost a year training to not allow my palms to get near the pad while typing.  I have gotten better; but it still happens too frequently.  It really irritates me when it happens.

I managed to get used to a Macbook Pro for a while and (don't really want to admit) started to enjoy how well that is implemented.

I hope this helps.

2 Posts

April 16th, 2019 21:00

I wish I knew Dell is notorious for overly sensitive track pads and by the looks of this thread their product team doesn't listen to customer feedback to know it. I spoke with some IT people at Oracle and they agree - they get the same complaints almost weekly. Here's the fix, but it'll only work for a few months:

Buy a new Dell, call support and tell them you're having this problem. They'll give you the same Guide to Duh" responses but after a while you'll finally be asked to download and install a new "driver" from a remote Dell support site. This isn't an actual device driver, it's a bit of software that, while you are typing, it turns off the track pad!  I was in heaven for a few months.

Here's the catch - after Dell pushed a critical update to my system, that software was gone... and by that time, so was my support warranty!

1 Message

June 3rd, 2019 08:00

I unplugged the power supply and the touchpad pointer stopped jumping around. I plug in the power supply and the pointer starts jumping around. Bad power supply, touchpad voltage requirements are very sensitive so a bad battery could also do this. Using another Dell power supply the problem is no longer present.

22 Posts

June 10th, 2019 17:00

I am having the same infuriating problem it drives you up the wall, come on DELL for heavens sake please give us a permanent fix.

BTW i am using via mains and some times battery but it makes no difference.

No Events found!