Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

5 Posts

May 18th, 2019 03:00

Inspiron 17 7000 series screen flickering and black screen

Hi community,

I am actually issuing extacly the same problem as described in the following link:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-17-7000-series-screen-goes-black/m-p/7197881#M46976

Unforutnatelly there seems to be no solution so far and so I am opening a new discussion, hoping to fix this problem.

Regarding the replie of Dell-SreejithR in the link:

-> I don't face a flickering or black screen if I move the screen back and forth

-> The problem appears out of the dark. But I determined that it always happens when my charger is plugged in for a while and if I am  working on it (average utilization)

-> It usually starts with a flickering screen which gets worse over the time until the screen finally goes black (with balcklight still on!)

-> The flickering can also turn into black and white bars all over the screen. (see also attachment)

Additional information:

-> A connected external monitor (HDMI) is not effected at that time

-> The problem can be solved by:

• Rebooting Windows,
  • Getting into standby mode and back on
  • Closing and reopening the LCD completly (without running in standby mode)
  • Telling windows to only use external monitor and switching back to for example "expand screen"

Interpreting these hotfix solutions, there is a single constant in the procedures -> Turning the screen completly off and on!

-> All drivers and bios sw is up to date

-> The problem consits for about 4 months, now

-> I also determined that manually rebooting driver by pressing [shift]+[strg]+[win]+b does not solve the problem as this does not turn off the screen

Hope there is somebody out there with a solution for this. :)

Best regards,

Constantin

black_white_bars.jpg

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 18th, 2019 04:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @C0n57an71n 

Dell-SreejithR did not explain what a proper "Flex Test" is???

While the laptop is booted and the screen is on.

Grab the display at the upper left and right corners.

Then push one side forward and the other side backwards about 1/2" to 1"

Repeat back and forth. "Flex Test"

Since all drivers are up to date.

It is not duplicated on external display.

The flickering turns into black and white bars.

Sounds like its time to replace the "Display Panel"

Enter your "Service Tag" and search for your configuration.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-7000/configuration

There you can find the part number for your display.

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 18th, 2019 05:00

@C0n57an71n 

Since the "Flex Test" passed that reduces the chance of it being a loose cable connection or a cold solder joint on the display.

If a display produces "Bars" the first thing my Techs do is replace the display.

Most if not all of the time that fixes the problem.

Continue to monitor the display and post back if it continues or escalates.

Best of luck,

U2

May 18th, 2019 05:00

Hi U2CAMEB4ME,

Thanks for your reply!

Doing a proper "Flex Test" as you described does not bring up the problem, luckily.

Don't you think that there can still be the possiblity of an sw related problem as a simple "turn off an on of the screen" heals the problem for a longer time?

Or maybe it is a grounding problem at the connector to the motherboard?

As the issue only appears about once in a week at a daily use of the notebook. I can currently live with my "hotfixes". If it's getting worse I will have my LCD replaced and give feedack at that time.

Best regards,

Constantin

1 Message

May 15th, 2020 15:00

Did you ever find a solution? Mine has done this since day one - when I'm on Zoom, using Adobe Premiere, or just on it all day. Been an couple of years now of googling periodically when I can't take it anymore and I still haven't found a solution that works.

May 16th, 2020 02:00

Hi @1974bug,

I didn't face that issue for about 9 months when I changed my battery charging mode from "Primarily AC use" back to "Standard". This can be done in your Bios settings. 

Unfortunatelly, it came back for one time, about 2 weeks ago. Surprisingly also running a Zoom session. Which should not mean that there is a relation to that SW. 

Maybe this will at least reduce the appearance of the problem. Of course assuming you ever changed these setting in the past like I did. 

Let me know if it worked for you. 

Best regards,

C0n57an71n

1 Message

January 1st, 2022 08:00

I am experiencing the same problem. However, I have a second monitor connected and it too does flicker although not as much as the main display. I already tried replacing the display. Same problem. I also replaced the video card and that didn't seem to help either.

January 7th, 2022 02:00

Hi kdu14618,

haven't had the issue in a while. For me it happened quiet often on zoom sessions. I did never replace the screen but the battery as it became bad. Don't know if this was a fix for the problem. 

I sporadically also experienced that a connected screen turns black for a second and turns back on. 

Best regards

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 01:00

Did you ever solve this problem say with a repeat bios update or downgrade or something ? I have a couple of these machines and they BOTH have had the problem !!! My one in my other home if I remember correctly it has been a few years, I fixed in by updating the bios. Display driver updates did nothing. The other one I have at this home that just started having the problem (it only began after several years.) I have been using the methods you use and have not done a bios update yet. 
I have to use these machines for my music sheet reading but am thinking on trying to find another company that makes a better 17" 2 in 1.....I hope.  

6 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 04:00

Call Dell Support for replacement of LCD  & LCD CABLE

September 23rd, 2022 10:00

Hi Ge Hu,

I have not seen the problem anymore for quiet a while. But I also don't use the notebook as frequently as I did in the past.

Here is what I did:

- Complete reset of windows 10 installation

- Update Bios to latest version

- Reset Bios to default settings

- Update to latest Intel graphics driver (no OEM Dell driver)

- Replaced my battery

- Cleaned and resoldered LCD connector on the motherboard

Hope any of these suggestions will help you.

Regards

No Events found!