Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2022 18:00

Inspiron 3505 - no sound after upgrade to Windows 11

Inspiron 3505 - no sound (Or microphone) after upgrade to Windows 11. This model was tested by Dell for upgrade.

Upgraded back in November '21. Never had sound or microphone since (Can connect bluetooth device for sound but that's not always possible). Plugging in earphones into earphone jack changes nothing, still no sound.

Device manager has an error (see screenshot below) - "Cirrus Logic Superior High Definition Audio" - 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'

Windows & drivers all up to date. 

Dell support assist run and has no issues.

Searched dell for drivers, downloaded the most recent one, but cannot install as windows is in S mode. Changed computer to not be in S mode to install driver. Driver installed - No change.

Unsure where to go from here....

Screenshot of device manager:

ALOV2640_0-1642213214436.png

Screenshot of settings -> Audio - No output (or input) devices found

ALOV2640_1-1642213448836.png

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

January 14th, 2022 19:00

Instead of using Dell's Support Assist, I would go to https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3505-laptop/drivers  and download and install the audio driver and the chipset driver

2 Posts

January 14th, 2022 20:00

Hi nyc10036, Thank you for the suggestion. This didn't work completely but it got it 90% of the way there. I updated 3 drivers (chipset, Realtek and cirrus) directly from the Dell link you posted, and restarted but no change. Then, out of desperation, I did another windows update check and a Dell Inc Firmware update popped up. I installed this and it did a system update and it now works - Thanks very much for your help!

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

January 15th, 2022 09:00

Dell Firmware update sounds like the BIOS.  It is marked as Urgent on the Dell page. BIOS updates are always risky because it can "brick" your laptop, but I am glad you have yours working with sound.

No Events found!