Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

5 Posts

April 13th, 2020 02:00

Inspiron 3583 - display adapter

Hi, I'm trying to connect external monitor to my laptop but I really need that monitor to work on my AMD RADEON 520 graphic card, as I can see in WINDOWS 10 display setting all monitors sit on the intel graphic.

I changed the intel electric saver program to full performance and I can't see any changes.

from what I have read I need to select specific application to run via my AMD card, but I wanted to know if it's possible to run the external monitor on my AMD or my entire system?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 13th, 2020 03:00

Whatever video the system (PC) is using is also what will be available for external use.  You can't have both in use at the same time.

If you want to use the AMD, go to the Device Manager and disable the Intel CPU Video and it will force it to use the AMD.  That is what I do on my Inspiron 15, 5577 gaming laptop if I want to only use the NVIDIA Video.  

5 Posts

April 13th, 2020 05:00

@ejn63thanks for your explain, I will explain my situation, I have two monitors besides the laptop build in display, the problem is the second monitor freezes when I'm trying to activate 3 displays, so my current question is: does my hardware capable to handle those three displays? or even with the co-processor help it won't be possible?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

Your system is what is called MUXless - it's software controlled.  Only the Intel GPU has a physical connection to the display screen (or external connector).  The AMD GPU is simply a co-processor.

On these systems, the primary GPU (the Intel GPU) cannot be disabled; neither can the AMD GPU be made primary.

There are some mid range and higher systems with hardware control over the GPU, but just about all the low-end systems (like this one) are MUXless and software controlled.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

To be truthful, I have no idea.  This is the first I've encountered this configuration.  My Inspiron 15 5577 gaming laptop does not have this.

5 Posts

@fireberdSo what the AMD gives to me?

5 Posts

@ejn63So why do I have this co-processor ? how can I activate it as not primary but that will take the most processing ?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

You can't since this system is "MUXless" as noted. The AMD is only a co-processor chip and not a full video card.   ALL video passes through the Intel, and only the Intel is physically connected to the monitor or any external video device.  You need a different PC that is not "MUXless"  in order to have what you want.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

It will boost performance when the application you want needs it.  It is NOT a standalone GPU however - it is a co-processor for the Intel GPU.

If you need a true, dedicated GPU - look to the 7000 series, XPS or Alienware models.  You won't find one in the budget lineup (which includes the 3000 series and many of the 5000 series).

5 Posts

@fireberd, I have already tried that, the problem is when I'm disabling intel graphic card some Micorsoft driver takes control and not the AMD.

No Events found!