Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2019 05:00

Inspiron 3737 Windows 10 update fails

Because Win 7 Pro will not be supported in a few weeks I decided to updated my trusty 17 inch Inspiron 3737 to Windows 10.

I did try the free upgrade at the time, but the upgrade did not work properly, with freezes a few minutes after booting, so I just restored to Win 7, hoping later Windows 10 updates would resolve it.

However, I'm trying to upgrade now, using the MS media tool 'upgrade this PC now'. This takes a few hours before finally failing with

0xC1900101-0x30018, The installation failed in First_Boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation

and the PC then winds back to Win 7.

I've tried rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN as advised elsewhere but this fails as it cannot find the pnpclean.dll

The Dell site says this PC has been tested with Windows 10 1511. I don't know if it's worth trying to download and install this older version, or is this going to fail in the same way?

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Steve

2 Posts

January 6th, 2020 02:00

Thanks, but I tried all of these ideas but none of them resolved it.

However, when I downloaded the ISO and installed 1909 from scratch this worked fine, and it seems to be running well.

Apart from the inconvenience of having to reinstall all my programs this has now solved the problem.

NB Windows activated itself without any problems, I was never asked to enter a product key or anything. I suspect this is because I had installed Win 10 before when the free upgrade was offered, but had to revert to Windows 7 each time because of the system freezing. Thus the PC obtained a license for Win 10 at that time.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 28th, 2019 11:00

The suggestions in this site and this one may help. Also here in that video. And YouTube has a number of videos dealing with this error. Simply search for the following on that site. 

Error Code 0xC1900101-0x30018 in Windows 10

No Events found!