Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2018 03:00

Inspiron 5379 DPC-Latency issues

Hello,

We have a DPC-Latency-type issue with 5379  (8gen i7) notebooks.

It seems that Intel's Turbo Boost CPU operation causes audio crackling/glitchy noises on every audio output, that makes it impossible to enjoy audio playback. This issue is present by all power profile, but if We set the "Maximum processor state" value to 99% in the Power Options (this probably turn off Intel's Turbo Boost technology.), the DPC-Latency monitor shows better values and the audio playback becomes continuous. However, this trick is not a good solution because it significantly drops the machine's performance.

The latest BIOS and all the latest drivers are installed by the Dell updater tool.

Methods we have tried:

Clean Boot,
Clean Windows 10 Home install by embedded BIOS recovery.
Clean Windows 10 Home/Pro installation by stock MSDN image.
Clean installation using official Dell drivers. 
Clean installation using drivers provided by Windows Update.
Clean installation using Intel factory + Windows drivers.

We've already tried to replace the motherboard on one of these machines (by Official Dell service) which did not improve our latency issues.

Screenshots of DPC latency checker:

2018-06-28_091935.png

Screenshot of LatencyMon:

latencymon.png

I will insert the log of LatencyMon into the following post

Each of our notebooks has the same configuration as this one identified by the following Service Tag and the issue occurs on each machine.

Service Tag:

We do not know what the next step is. Since this error occurs on multiple 5379 machines, we guess it is a driver problem that is related to the power management.

11 Posts

June 29th, 2018 15:00

Update: I found a quick FIX for this issue.

This is not a real solution, slightly reduces the energy efficiency, but successfully isolates all the crackling, popping, and other glitchy sound problems mentioned in the initial post.

Enter into the BIOS and look for the Performance -> C-states control in the left menu and clear the c-states checkbox. Click Apply and then click Exit to restart the machine.

intel_c_state.jpg

That's all.

Energy consumption might be improved by the ThrottleStop CPU-tweaking utility, but I don't know exactly which sleep state can cause the DPC-latency problem.

2018-06-30_001210.png

6 Posts

August 19th, 2018 06:00

I have the same issue with 5570. I applied your solution and it improved my problems. Thank you.

I hope Dell worries about fixing it. 

11 Posts

August 21st, 2018 01:00

Hello Copper,

Since then I have discovered that this problem is caused by the poorly insulating thermal pad between the GPU and the heat sink pipe.

The thickness of this pad about 1.2mm, which is difficult to find in stores, so you should bring your notebook to a Dell service center.

Best wishes

6 Posts

August 21st, 2018 19:00

Hi blastart

First of all thanks for answering. So this is a hardware problem? I am a little confused at this point. I thought it was a driver problem. 

11 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 00:00

I think this problem occurs in a certain TDP process to reduce the heat of the GPU. If you turn off C-states, the side effect is eliminated, but gpu/cpu performance may become lowered.

1 Message

July 20th, 2019 10:00

How to delete this?

1 Message

April 2nd, 2020 11:00

Disturbing sound near the processor humming or cracking when the fan is not working. Email me   Tell me the location of the bad buffer or the place of the defect and I will change it from one of the used devices or gaming devices such as ps3 or others only. Bad thermal

No Events found!