Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 17th, 2018 01:00

Inspiron 5570 Audio static DPC latency issue

I have an issue with my brand new Inspiron 5570 laptop where I will hear static pops and clicks when audio plays, either or music or even just system sounds.

After some research I can see that this is due to latency issues caused by drivers.

I have updated all drivers on my system to the latest as well as trying a number of other fixes that I read about, none of which have worked.  

I have tried uninstalling the realtek drivers and just using 'HD sound driver', that didn't work.

Here's a graph of the typical latency.  Comparing this to my 5 year old ASUS laptop the latency baselines at about 250, over a quarter less than for the Dell 5570:

LatencyMon is pointing the finger for ISR latency at ACPI.sys and Wdf01000.sys:

The list of the worst DPC culprits is a bit longer:

I'm at my wits end trying to resolve this.  Can anyone suggest a resolution for this issue?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

January 17th, 2018 05:00

Hi jhob,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not working as expected.

Here is an article from the Dell Knowledge Base on noise issues you may find helpful.  And a post from the Forum you may be able to use.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

January 17th, 2018 06:00

Thanks Robert,

Unfortunately the knowledge base article doesn't discuss anything about noise issues caused by latency.

That forum post is 9 years old and is discussing operating systems such as win XP and Vista so unfortunately not relevant to my modern windows 10 laptop.

Thanks anyway.

John

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 10:00

Well at this point it may be best to contact Tech Support for further troubleshooting.

You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can
initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

9 Posts

February 15th, 2021 06:00

I assume you eventually resolved this, but if not, or in case others are seeing this issue now,  I had the same issue, and make 2 changes, and at least 1 of those two changes fixed this issue for me.

One change I made is to uninstall Dell Smartbyte.   This I believe is the most likely fix.

The other was to follow instructions to Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe).  There are several guides to doing that which you can search for.

After having these sound issues for many weeks, a couple of reboots after making these two changes, my audio is now working properly.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

February 15th, 2021 07:00

Thanks, I never did properly resolve it - resorted to playing all music over bluetooth which got around the issue.

I had disabled smart byte but hadn't disabled Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry so will try that.

No Events found!