Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2020 03:00

Inspiron 7506 2-in-1, useless recovery software

After receiving a random dll error spontaneously for no reason I was no longer able to boot windows. It then went into a loop, after the boot failed, auto repair would kick in, do nothing, and proceed to ask for my bitlockeys over and over again. After disabling the necessary UEFI/BIOS settings to use dell bios connect, it didn't detect any WAN or even LAN (tried a usb gigabit ethernet adapter in all ports). To make matters worse, the recovery software from dell doesn't come with the Intel VMD software/drivers that are required to install in NVMe/Optane Raid 0 Mode. So, I had to disable optane to use the recovery drive created from a separate computer. Now, the Intel VMD drivers from either Dell's site or Intel's site did not install. In the end, I had to manually extract a .wim file from a Windows 10 ISO and add the drivers into it then apply that using DISM. What fun using command line because all of dell's software failed. Now, I can't even install the My Dell app from the Microsoft store because it asks me to redeem a code....Great Job Guys. I manually added the EFI partition via command line, and OS partition, installed via DISM .wim file, and then created my REFS partition for my other but haven't bothered redoing all of your worthless recovery partitions or even the standard windows partition because what is the point. I'll just program a more robust automated recovery tool to reduce the command line hassle. Why use OEM software when it doesn't work? Why pay for 3rd party software when you do a better job yourself? I see you offer paid tech support I am sure calling "Tech Support" would be a wonderful experience as it is with all companies going through tiers of useless people reading from scripts before you can even begin to speak with anyone that has even an inkling of a clue.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 4th, 2021 09:00

Update 12/11/20 =

Yes I managed to get everything working. The reason the recovery usb that I created didn't work unless I disabled optane/raid mode is because it was missing the intel vmd driver. I then added it along with all of the other drivers from your website to the install.wim file. I could have added them to the boot.wim file or the files in the EFI partition looking back but you might want to consider that. I had to reinstall it again with the intel VMD driver added because neither your site's driver or intel's driver would let me install it from the operating system, and if I disabled it ion the UEFI/BIOS i could then no longer boot, and the recovery software does not work because it cant detect the hard drive, to include any WAN or LAN drivers to use bios connect when auto recovery fails to load. I could fix this for you if I worked for dell but I am sure your development team can handle it if they read what I have written. As you can see by my post, others experienced the same thing. We all received errors after an update either from dell, or windows, and could no longer boot or use the recovery software. I am also using Windows 10 Pro for Workstation. I can't install the My Dell app however through the windows store because it asks me to redeem some code which I don't have. I have the OS Support assistant app though. I am also a software developer and could make my own recovery software that's fully automated using from a usb disk that works if I spent the time since I do not enjoy using the command line from the windows recovery environment. That's one of the major reasons why I hate using linux, aside from the fact that I have to use visual studio for work which is windows only. I think at this point I just need the my dell app but you could pass this information along to help others and your dev team/engineers if you wanted to.
starwind064

10 Posts

December 8th, 2020 06:00

Yep! I just updated mine last night.  It updated, but boots into os recovery and stays loading for hours. Once updated, it breaks. I am forced now to download an iso image from Microsoft and manually install Windows. The only good thing is I got almost 32GB. More space on my SSD. Only if dell would have packaged a DVD and drivers, it would have made all this easier.  Dell has great support tools, but bad implementation.  Too much redundancy and lack of creating a hard recovery if the tools fail after upgrade.

December 5th, 2021 03:00

I don't suppose there's any chance you could walk me through this process huh? I'm currently stuck at the same point with my 7506. It has all the stats to give off just enough of a perception that the near $2000 I spent on it was worth it but none of the performance to back it up. Even out of the box this thing was garbage which led me to this predicament in the first place in the process of trying to troubleshoot compatibility issues but then finally data wiping not realizing that dell doesn't just give you the factory image when requesting it (which ,by the way Dell, would have saved me 3 months of headache and the dozen or so bad reviews that I've typed up.

No Events found!