Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2022 18:00

Inspiron 7506 2in1 Screen glitches and black outs

I bought my first Dell laptop in Nov 2021.  Shortly after, it started having screen problems.  The screen would briefly flash black with white horizontal lines and sometimes even have small icons on the lines.  It was extremely fast - fractions of a second.  It would happen randomly but seemed to always be when using my web browser.  Eventually, the laptop shut down and would start up, even though it had full power.  The next morning, it powered back up.  I took it into Best Buy and they said most likely it was a motherboard issue.  Since it was less than 3 months old, I convinced them to let me replace it for free.  I selected another Inspiron 7506 2in1 since I like the laptop and thought it was just a one time freaky thing.  I was wrong. 

I received my new replacement laptop on Feb 23, 2022.  Within a week, it started to exhibit all the same screen glitching issues as the first one.  I've tried to research it myself.  I've run every diagnostic tool I can get my hands on.  Tried to use an anti-static wristband, thinking maybe it was static related.  I've tried working with it plugged in and tried working on battery only.  The problem still exists and seems to be getting worse and lasting longer.  I was able to capture some screen shots to show what's happening.  Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix it? IMG_1614.jpg  This is what happens most of the time.This is what happens most of the time.IMG_1608.PNG

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 21st, 2022 06:00

Update = After verifying ownership and completing troubleshooting, a DELL agent setup service.

• 

25.7K Posts

March 16th, 2022 18:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

March 16th, 2022 19:00

I hope you get it resolved. This is hardware failure.

If you purchased with a credit card see if they offer purchase protection. Chase does. https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/benefit-details/slate/purchase-rotection

Or do a chargeback.

You should not need to have to use an anti-static strap when using the laptop normally.

May 17th, 2022 03:00

I am having an identical issue with my Inspiron 7506 which was purchased late last year and intermittently had the issues over the first few months of use.  I finally gave in and contacted Dell support who replaced the screen last week but the issue has not gone away.  By the sounds of it a new machine is unlikely to resolve the issue.  Is Dell acknowledging this is a common issue for this model of laptop and if so what do they recommend as the solution?Screen Issue.jpg

May 17th, 2022 07:00

Matt, no, Dell did not acknowledge the problem. They tried to say that one of the latest Windows updates may have been  rolled out before Dell approved it for my laptop. Then they attempted multiple fixes. I spent hours online with them. One person couldn’t fix it so they would have another person contact me then another and another. Their fixes only made the problem far worse. It got to the point where it would start flashing up the weird lines and white static and would not stop. Once it started the only thing to do was to shut it down. It became completely unusable. I’m not an expert in computers but I came to the conclusion that there had to be some kind of compatibility problem between the graphics card and the 4K screen. One laptop having a weird problem could be accepted as just a fluke but when the replacement laptops start having the exact same problem, that’s a pattern and something wrong with the overall manufacturing of that specific product line. Dell never admitted there could be a problem.  They wanted to keep trying different things with different people.  My suggestion to you is to return it as soon as possible and either go down in screen quality or buy a different brand. We chose to go with a different brand and have been much happier. (As a side note, my daughter has the same Dell laptop but a lesser quality screen and it has shown no problems. I’m convinced the problem lies with the 4K screen/graphics card combo). Good luck. I hope you have better luck than I did. 

May 17th, 2022 08:00

Thanks for getting in touch. Your insight is really useful.  My laptop is a business one and is covered by premium support which means they'll keep trying to replace bits of it until there's nothing left of the original machine.  I've been told they'll replace the motherboard next. Wish me luck.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

May 18th, 2022 00:00

What are the results of the LCD Built-in Self-Test?

How to Run the LCD Built-in Self-Test on a Dell Laptop

Enter your service tag number here. Then choose Drivers & Downloads. Install the ones marked "THIS PC". Install the drivers from the categories below. Do them one at a time, restarting the PC after each one.
1) BIOS
2) Chipset
3) Video
DELL-Cares

2 Intern

• 

223 Posts

May 18th, 2022 08:00

Hi

Not wishing to get in the way Dell technical team(s)  ....

If you think it is a Broswer, use a better one, like BRAVE.

if it could be a graphics glitch try a Lo-Cost/No-Cost solution ...

WINKEY + Ctrl + Shift +B which 'restarts' the graphics

This shortcut may recover you from such a graphics driver crash.

If it is/was a Windows update, dont use Windows.

Try a NON MS OS temporarily...

Any Burn.png

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

AnyBurn (or rufus) and make a USB that will seem a little slow and lumpy, BUT does not install and does not touch your existing data, unless you sayso.

NB: BitLocker should allow a read only boot.

If the problem goes away

Dell + NON MS OS then it's an MS problem.

If it doesnt the it's a DELL PROBLEM.

Maybe the MainBoard.

I know it's simple logic any tech team could try, but they don't.

So Do It Yourself.

If in doubt please ask.

1 Message

November 24th, 2023 21:42

Hi,

I do have the same issue, I bought the laptop from Best Buy in 2022. I still face the problem, and couldn't find the root cause. 

March 25th, 2024 15:10

I had the same issue.  Dell support ran me through some diags initially and had me change some settings. It was intermittent so didn't recur for a while. I called back and again, some settings changes.  Intermittent so it eventually recurred. Eventually had keyboard issue. They sent tech out to replace keyboard. I told him of the screen issue.  He reseated the cables but the issue persisted. My warranty eventually ran out before I got it fully resolved.  Still happens. I've probably had 5 or 6 dell laptops and never had issues like this with getting an issue resolved. I got a lemon this time and failed to persist with Dell long enough to get it fully resolved. I learned my lesson.

No Events found!