Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

5 Posts

January 31st, 2019 03:00

Inspiron 7579, Headphone Left Right Bleed

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-Inspiron-7000-7579-Headphone-Left-Right-Bleed-separation/td-p/5147962

Recently bought a Dell Inspiron and ran into the same issue - the above thread is read-only so I can't reply. As discovered by @tvaudioman@Saltgrass and @Jim_Coates (not sure how to tag him) in their discussion, Bluetooth apparently bypasses Realtek Audio and the Left-Right Bleed issue.

While the bleeding does indeed to be some kind of design choice, it's completely unacceptable for audiophiles or sound designers who want to create and listen to stereo tracks the way they are designed to sound. The fact that you can't turn this off is outrageous and is the kind of thing Mac users would point and laugh at us for, "Aw, should have bought a Mac".

In the meantime, I'm stuck using Bluetooth or a USB-to-headphone adaptor. If anyone has since discovered a way to turn it off or replace the Driver, please let me know.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 31st, 2019 03:00

On another forum, there are users that have replaced the Realtek audio driver with the generic, basic function, Windows installed "High Definition Audio" driver.  This is a "band aid" but fixes some strange problems.  These were various brands, not Dell.  You can try that and see if makes a difference, if its not a pure hardware issue.  Uninstall the Realtek in the Device Manager and also uninstall the Realtek drivers.  Reboot the PC and if lucky Windows will install the High Definition Audio.  Be aware the High Definition driver does not have "Stereo Mix" and jack detection.

The Bluetooth or a USB connected headset bypasses this as they take digital audio (the same digital audio input the Realtek takes and converts to analog) and the Bluetooth or USB convert the digital internally. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 31st, 2019 04:00

If you are an audiophile and need isolated stereo tracks, there must be some forum dedicated to such things.  If so, what are they saying?

Do you know for sure a MAC would provide the isolation you are looking for?

What special software are you using to create your audio files?  No settings for bleed over variances?  If Bluetooth headsets help, USB headsets may do the same thing.

Just as the other thread never had a resolution, all I might think is you need some special software or equipment to do what you want. 

January 31st, 2019 04:00

Thanks for the reply, @fireberd . I did read something along those lines, but doesn't it become a huge hassle because everytime Windows updates it restores the Realtek driver?

Having said that, I haven't really noticed Windows 10 update since I bought this computer, in contrast to Windows 8, which forced you to restart the computer and update regularly. Maybe it's worth a shot.

January 31st, 2019 05:00

@SaltgrassThe issue is not whether it happens in nature or not. Anyone who creates sound or music will have their own approach to handling the two stereo channels to create a more or deliberately less natural experience. By automating the process, the efforts of the mixer/sound designer are overriden.

The one video is here: when it says "Left", you should only here sound in your left headphone and not at all in the right headphone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ODm-F9-IM

@fireberdI'm not an Apple fan, but I'm probably not a Dell fan either after this, lol. I'll try the Windows driver and let you know how it goes. Mine is the Inspiron 15 7577 NG55VR-7WLB, which might be a Japan-specific model. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I worked on Macs at University and didn't have this problem. More recently, on another Apple product, an iPhone Touch, I tried playing an iOS game that I did the sound for and for which I programmed hard pans to the right and left depending on user input- these work correctly, so iOS at least doesn't do any cross-channel bleeding/mixing.

Since testing was done with YouTube videos that explicitly provide a Left and Right channel test. I tested with these videos as well as the software I use, and I assure you, the problem is quite real, quite outrageous and apparently specific to this audio driver.

Could you give the link to the YouTube channel with the separated sound again.  I have an ASUS system I can test.

As mentioned in the other thread, isolate stereo sound does not happen in nature.  You have a specific need to hear it that way.  If you are trying to say the sound reproduction messes up your game development I might understand that since I have seen software which uses sound to pin point enemies. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

I would give the High Definition Audio driver a try, at least for testing.  If it still does it with the High Def driver it says its most likely hardware and not a driver issue. 

I have an iPhone and an iPad but I won't buy a MAC PC.  I'm not going to pay 3X as much and be limited to what Apple says I need in I/O.

FWIW, my Inspiron 15 5577 gaming laptop has Realtek and it does not have the audio problem.  I'm field testing a new 7000 series G7 gaming laptop with Realtek and it does not have the problem.

@Saltgrass wrote:

If you are an audiophile and need isolated stereo tracks, there must be some forum dedicated to such things.  If so, what are they saying?

Do you know for sure a MAC would provide the isolation you are looking for?

What special software are you using to create your audio files?  No settings for crossover variances?

I wouldn't bother going to such a forum. They'd probably just say "That's weird. I don't have that computer, so idk".

I worked on Macs at University and didn't have this problem. More recently, on another Apple product, an iPhone Touch, I tried playing an iOS game that I did the sound for and for which I programmed hard pans to the right and left depending on user input- these work correctly, so iOS at least doesn't do any cross-channel bleeding/mixing.

If you review the thread in which you yourself were a participant, you'll note that this issue has nothing to do with the way the files are made, since testing was done with YouTube videos that explicitly provide a Left and Right channel test. I tested with these videos as well as the software I use, and I assure you, the problem is quite real, quite outrageous and apparently specific to this audio driver (cf. the above linked thread, where @tvaudioman tells of his encounter with a coworker who made the same remark about his Dell.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 31st, 2019 06:00

I tested the sound on three systems.  The ASUS desktop with the headset plugged into the front panel headset plug and the Inspiron 15 7567, gave isolated sounds. 

The XPS 13 9365 gave separated sounds but I heard two sounds, one the twangy original sound along with a lower sound which was just a low tone.  The primary sound was separate but I could not tell where the other sound was coming from.  I did not try adjusting the Waves equalizer.

It might be better if the left and right sound were different so to better discern total separation.

40 Posts

January 31st, 2019 14:00

Over a year ago, I first discovered this issue when trying to play back split tracks for a children's musical. The music company provides a split track accompaniment CD that has music (no vocal) on left track, and vocals (no music) on right track. This is useful if you just need the music, with live performers singing, or if you want to mix in some of the recorded vocals, if the kid's choir is not large enough to carry the performance alone.

When we were playing back the music only track, we could hear some vocals.

I have also ran test playing Alan Parsons and Stephen Court Sound Check CD.

During testing, I was trying the same files on other, albeit older, Dell laptops and other computers, and the tracks were clean and separate.Listening via headphones as well as connected to professional sound equipment.

It's been months (maybe a year+) since I dealt with this, but I do recall trying different drivers, and going round and round with Dell support trying to find a solution. If I recall, Dell recognized there was an issue, but never could come up with a solution.

When professional recording are made, artist have a desire for diff rent and distinct mixes in the left and right channels, to create certain effects, for a wide range of reasons. for instance Beatles - "Rubber Soul", many songs by the Doors, Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of the Moon", etc. etc.

In short, I think Dell and Waves think that everyone always wants to hear things with "spatial enhancement" or whatever they want to call it. And thus did not provide a way to turn it on or off.

Fact is, no matter the reason, the consumer should have the ability to listen to the sound track as it was intended, without any enhancements. Enhancements should be optional. And at times, as mentioned in the first paragraph, it is a necessity.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 1st, 2019 03:00

A comment, and this doesn't fix the problem with this model.  I have a recording studio.  I only use my recording studio audio interface (an MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid) for any audio production, playback.  The PC audio is not used in audio production.  

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 1st, 2019 06:00

The "tenforums.com" maintains a thread with link to the latest Realtek HD driver for Windows 10.

https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/5993-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version.html

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 1st, 2019 06:00

I just tested four systems for the cross bleed.  I used a channel separation test from audiocheck dot net which had a basic left/right sound sample.  While testing, I removed the ear piece for the channel producing the sound to be sure what I was hearing.  The headset was a true Stereo headset with just the two channels.  Site seemed OK but always be careful.

Two systems did completely separate the channels.  An ASUS desktop (no Waves) and an Old Dell running Win 7. 

The other two Dell systems did not completely separate the sound with both showing a very low volume on the other channel or some type of static on the other channel.  The Waves Dimension - On setting made both channels sound close to the same volume.

Windows 10 has removed the "enhancements" settings from the Windows Sound User Interface panel so Waves has taken over that job.  Some of the Waves installs have a selection of Presets.  If you show that, you might check if there is one noted as "None".

Maybe one of the Audiophiles sites should keep a list of computer systems which do not have the problem.

April 8th, 2020 07:00

Hey everyone,

It's been a while. I guess I never kept you updated, but I eventually was able to get rid of RealTek and use the generic Windows audio driver, which worked fine. However, I started having problems after that. Here's a message I've posted on answers.microsoft:

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7577 that I bought in Japan. Last summer, I deleted the RealTek Audio Driver that came with it so that I could use the default "High Definition Audio". This worked fine, but when there was a big update in January to Windows 10, I lost all speaker and headphone functionality.

The "High Definition Audio Device" still appears in the Device Manager, but updating the drive does nothing. The volume icon in the Task Manager shows an X and right-clicking on it to open Settings shows no available output or input devices. Opening the troubleshooter and the only devices that are displayed are currently inactive Bluetooth speakers/headphones and "Digital Audio (HDMI) - High Definition Audio Device". So maybe the "High Definition Audio Device" in the Device Manager is referring to HDMI sound as well and not the computer's soundcard?

I didn't have any luck updating or installing drivers, so I tried a System Restore (Restore to Original Settings), but upon reboot, I got a message that an error was encountered while trying to restore- but no details. What should I do?

I've just been dealing with it the last few months by using an external audio interface or bluetooth devices, but it's pretty silly and I'd like to fix it. Any ideas?

No Events found!